Thread: Best way to be legal

Default Best way to be legal

I am new to bear baiting and plan to set up a station in the spring. I know I have to get the GPS coordinates to F&G and the station has to be a mile from the nearest residence. What is the best way to determine that? A mile diameter circle is a pretty big area. Do I just have to walk the whole area or what? Just curious as to how others figure it out.

I am hoping to put one on Bald Mountain somewhere.

Anyone? Just wanting to know how you determine you are far enough from houses.

gps and walk... many different areas have different regs..

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Mark a waypoint where you want to put a bait station and then mark waypoints of the nearest houses and see how far away you are.

which can be started and done roughly with google earth...

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

cool. thanks.

You dont have to give fish and game gps co-ordinates.
    Paul

Default Use your gps

I mark the known houses and cabins and mark my spot it tells you your distance and then hope and pray I'm not missing anything. Unless you can fly low over or walk in circles for a long time I think that's the best you can do. One area I use I'm very familiar with the other one I used gps and google earth you gotta know the regs when I registered last year fish and game tried to tell me I couldn't bait within a mile of a river and I had to show them that it was only specific rivers.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by ret25yo View Post
    which can be started and done roughly with google earth...
    well not exactly.. the google earth of my area around Clear is nearly 17 years old, there is a ton of outdated photography on there.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by AK Explorer View Post
    I am new to bear baiting and plan to set up a station in the spring. I know I have to get the GPS coordinates to F&G and the station has to be a mile from the nearest residence. What is the best way to determine that? A mile diameter circle is a pretty big area. Do I just have to walk the whole area or what? Just curious as to how others figure it out.

I am hoping to put one on Bald Mountain somewhere.
    Not to rain on your parade, but in the last couple of years the number of Browns in that area has really shot up. So have the number of baiters. There are black bears there but be prepared to try and get away from everyone else and the Brownies.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.