Thread: Non Motorized area the Denali Hwy.

Default Non Motorized area the Denali Hwy.

I have hunted the Denali Hwy several times in the past at mile 62.5. Always lots of other hunters in that same area. On the opposit side of the hwy is a non motorized area. This area is bordered on the west by the road that goes to Valdez mine. The regulations are not clear weather the road can be used to access the area to set up camp and hunt on foot from there. Does anyone know if the road can be use for a jumping off point?

Thanks
    John

It is just like the regulation on the use of a helicopter in hunting. You can not use a motorized vehicle off the road in that area "IF" you are hunting. So no you can not drive the equipment in, if fact you can't drive the camp in, leave it, drive out, leave your vehicle out buy the road, and walk back into your camp. However you can drive in, spot a moose, drive out, walk back in shoot moose. But you can not use the vehicle for hunting.

I have hauled a lot of caribou out of there with a wheel barrow. I built much of the Windy Creek Road, for City Service Mines & Minerals Co.

O'but the stories I could tell. (Sorry Bushrat, I just could not help it)

Note: There has always been lots of hunters on/off the Denali Haul Road from the day it was built in the Mid 50's.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Valdez creek road is a great bicycle ride though small trailer and a slung rifle works too
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

You can park in the gravel pit next to the road and if you are hunting you can not leave the gravel pit by vehicle. The non-motorize area starts after you leave the gravel pit.

When does the road open in the spring? I am thinking about heading up that way around April. Don't know if the road will be open then or not.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by John Abbott View Post
    When does the road open in the spring? I am thinking about heading up that way around April. Don't know if the road will be open then or not.
    typically MAY... but may melt sooner, The clear water CUA also has a differnt set of rules for spring bear and wolf hunting.. make sure you read up on that as predator managment is key there so ATV and snow mobile is allowed part of the season
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Thanks for the info. Never been in there that early in the year. It will be interesting to see whats there that early.

John

Vince, I have been looking for information on the Clearwater CUA but have had no luck on the internet. I believe that Fur and Feathers has a pamphlet but I was hoping for an electronic copy. Any ideas?