Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wearing Crampons while Hunting ???

Question Wearing Crampons while Hunting ???

I have a spring Brown bear hunt coming up on Kodiak and thought I should take
    a set of 6 point crampons with me along with a set of snow shoes .
    Not having seen crampons other than the net do the 6 point bump up to the heel of the boot or ????
    How about some pictures of them in use !!!!

Thanks

RR
    Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

I have Petzl 6-point crampons and love them for steep, slick country. Used them extensively when helping my buddy scout and hunt his '09 goat. Mine are true instep crampons and sit about 2 inches forward of the heel. They made a night and day difference going up/down wet vegetation. Easy to pack. I highly recommend them.

My buddy opted for the full 10-point crampon. No big difference, other than he shreds a pair of gaiters every trip. I actually saw an advantage of using the 6-point, in that I had some rubber boot sole to put down on the rocks in broken terrain, where he was basically skating on bare rock with the 10-point.

That was the last trip for that pair of boots...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Yep, watch those crampons with your new $150.00+ space-age pants, gaiters, boots, and rain gear-pants. While crampons can be necessary crossing ice and glaciers, they can be heck on your leg and foot gear.
    ...or perhaps you are a more coordinated hiker/climber than I...
    dennis

My last trip to Kodiak I sure wished I had some on one of my assents. Hunted raspberry on the first snow fall and really wished I had them.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Thanks for the pictures .
    I bought a set of Austria Alpin INSTEP CRAMPONS. They should work well
    on Kodiak if needed.
    Thanks again.

RR

USS SARATOGA CV-60

Quote Originally Posted by Wyo2AK View Post
    I have Petzl 6-point crampons and love them for steep, slick country. Used them extensively when helping my buddy scout and hunt his '09 goat. Mine are true instep crampons and sit about 2 inches forward of the heel. They made a night and day difference going up/down wet vegetation. Easy to pack. I highly recommend them.

My buddy opted for the full 10-point crampon. No big difference, other than he shreds a pair of gaiters every trip. I actually saw an advantage of using the 6-point, in that I had some rubber boot sole to put down on the rocks in broken terrain, where he was basically skating on bare rock with the 10-point.

Good Move doing the Instep Crampons, for reasons Wyo mentions here, I think they are quite a bit better than the fullsole ones
    especially on Kodiak, where you are often going from sno/ice cover to bare crumbly and steep rock, and back again.
    You'll appreciate having the sensitivity of your toes feeling the rock, getting grip.

Only way to go there
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Quote Originally Posted by Wyo2AK View Post

+1 on the instep crampons, they were worth their weight in gold. They made an amazing difference both going up and down on the slick vegetation.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaTrueAdventure View Post
    Yep, watch those crampons with your new $150.00+ space-age pants, gaiters, boots, and rain gear-pants.
    Dennis- I think the "space age" was back in the 1960s. Fairly sure we've moved on to the "cyberspace age" or perhaps even further?

More on topic, I second the general consensus above for insteps, and would reccommend that those fairly new to crampon walking go on several hikes with them wearing some low dollar gear which dennis has listed above. It's not if you poke holes in your gear, it's WHEN. Takes a few hours to develop some fluency with having to lift each foot/leg higher as you pick it up before thrusting it forwards. Especially with hard rocks mixed into the softer/grippier terrain.

Practice stumbling a bit with them on, because it's the unexpected movements that are when your muscle memory instincts will kick-in, which is when your foot will not move when/where you are used to it moving.

Poking holes and twisting knees because the foot doesn't freely pivot are very real scenarios.

Having claws on your feet is awesome, after you get used to them. I really like most of my gear, I love my crampons.

Kahtoola microspikes

microspikes.jpg

Not really in use here but I've contemplated getting them as they are an easier spike to deal with. They don't have the prominent heel spikes of the insteps but they do bring added traction to the table.
    I have used a 10pt crampon and unless your doing some serious mtneering they can be more of a hazard than a tool and they take a bit of practice.

CtP, Those are what I like the best, the Microspikes,
    they are pretty cool, easy on/off, good midrange tool to have along,

andweav's comment about poking holes and twisting knees because foot cannot freely pivot is accurate,
    the big tooth crampons make me nervous, can't "Feel the Rocks" if I need to,
    these Microspikes work for lots of Kodiak terrain
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Just got a pair of the microspikes and they seem good to go. I'm not sure if I entirely trust them on exposed terrain because the binding is just rubber, but they appear to be a good compromise. After checking out pics in the 2010 SEAK Sitka blacktail deer thread, I'm convinced that corked Lowas are the hot set up at least for SEAK.

I also was thinking that a real crampon would be overkill for most any non snow/ice hiking. Perhaps a very, very steep wet veg. slope would require them but I suspect an ice axe or good walking stick and those microspikes would provide ample traction.

They would be much lighter and easier to pack, also. Can you "kick steps" in with them when needed on something quite slick/steep?

Corked Lowas do sound sweet. I'd love a pair for those slow steep sidehilling trips. You know that country where your just on the edge of loosing comfort and the travel is just a little awkward for anything without hoof.

I've got those Petzl insteps and do like em.

I like instep crampons as well. A buddy had 10 points on Kodiak with me last year and did similar damage to his gaiters as WyoAK's buddy did. My insteps are Stubai instead of Petzel and they seem to work well for me.

The "best" instep I have used is the http://www.cliffgear.com/details/cli...mpons/3794/allAustria (if you can find them any more). The blue plastic heel straps have absolutely prevented any and all rolling of the crampons. They are worth there weight in any and all conditions where you have to climb up or down, wet or dry. The way these are made I have never torn any other clothing with them. The best mini crampons I own are the http://www.kahtoola.com/crampons.phpKahtoola spikes. They come in steel or aluminum. Only 3/4 inch long, so they are not like the glacier spikes. I love these when I need toe traction as well.

I use either one of the above year round when any strenuous climbing is required. I am too old to fall ;-) AkNimrod taught me the value of instep crampons on a goat hunt...the only problem I had was not putting them on sooner. Walking on rocks, dead fall, or any condition, these work great. don't leave home without them :-)
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

This is the set of Austria Alpin INSTEP CRAMPONS I purchased .
    Sounds like there is good reviews on these !!!!
    I will see.

RR

USS SARATOGA CV-60

Bought a pair of CMI Instep crampons for a sheep hunting trip. Never used them in the Chugach.

Tried 'em out in early December packing out a smallish buck out on the backside of Douglas Island. Really only needed them for about 3-400 vert that was steep and slick. The crampon rolled on one boot a couple of times. The other held good. Need to have the strap-ons TIGHT!

I checked out the set up and fit on my Muck's before I ventured out.

I'll throw out the two types of calks that Hoffman's can install on your existing leather boots:

Top is the carbide tipped ones. Bottom is the regular "logger" style.

I can attest that they aren't much fun on bedrock, talus or scree.

Quote Originally Posted by RANGER RICK View Post
    This is the set of Austria Alpin INSTEP CRAMPONS I purchased .
    Sounds like there is good reviews on these !!!!
    I will see.

RR

The four point instep crampons are good. They beat ANY lug sole I have walked on. The bad thing is that they "roll" fairly easily on my feet so that they face each other on the side...then I shread my pant legs. The six point Alpins do everything the four points do AND add the two heel spikes that really help me going down hill! Add to that the lateral support, they never roll either! Light weight and easy to pack. The only time I take them off is when I am in my sleeping bag and when in a rubber raft! You will love them I think...just remember to use them early and often (like voting in Chicago).
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Crampons are a good investment, I couldn't goat hunt early or late season with out them. I have two pairs, both by Black Diamond. My early season pair is the contact crampon which just straps on over my Lowa Sheep Hunters. My late season pair is the older model of the black diamond cyborg. As said in many of the previous posts gaiters are essential to protect your pants. I like the ten point crampons with the two front points. They make it very easy to climb up a steep snow field.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast