Thread: Looking for bees wax

Default Looking for bees wax

Does anyone know where I could find some bees wax and/or carnuba wax for a decent price in Fairbanks? I only need a pound or two of each, especcially the bees wax.
    Thanks, Mike

Check with the Cooperative Extension Service. They're likely to know anyone raising bees in the area, and you can get it straight from the producer. Sometimes they charge, and sometimes they don't. I asked to buy a pound from one I know in Anchorage, and she gave me 5 pounds.

Car parts store or wood finish department at hardware store for carnauba, they are blends mostly so read the labels. Any leather supply like Tandy if you have one up there for bees wax, anyplace that sells stuff for leather and upholstery work. Cooperative Extension Serviceis a good idea but I doubt anyone up there is keeping bees, there are people here that do and the Extension office should be able to hook you up to someone that will mail you some.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

A craft store that sells candle making supplies will have beaswax.

I checked with a friend of ours who makes candles and soap with it, and she said Hive Harvest is the best source she's found for larger quantities. Looks like it goes for around $9 a pound in small quantities, down to around $7 in larger amounts. I bought a pound block at a craft store in Seattle this spring and paid something like $15 for it. Note to self.

I saw some at at the farmers market last summer. I don't remember the exact price but I do remember I was glad I have some and didn't have to buy it at that price. Anyway, you can check with randyrat over as castboolits forum. He has a good reputation and decent prices if he still sells it. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=86774

Yeah. Randyrat sells beeswax cheap. $4 a pound if I remember right. He also sells lanolin if your making boolit lube. Johnsons paste wax is primarily carnuba but I don't know the percentage.

One easy source is to buy toilet bowl wax seals. They used to be made out of bees wax, and I'm pretty sure some still are.
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Yukoner you got a rep on that idea. Couple of years ago I needed some bee's wax to coat the trim tabs on my boat(keep growth off-works good). Ended up ordering from a company, I think out of Salt Lake, that sells products to make cosmetics. Now when I need more, a trip to plumbing shop will take care of it.
    Retirement Plan - Having Fun and Still Learning

Quote Originally Posted by Yukoner View Post
    One easy source is to buy toilet bowl wax seals. They used to be made out of bees wax, and I'm pretty sure some still are.
    That is what I was going to suggest
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Toilet ring wax is no longer bees wax. I have however used it to make a form of bullet lube and it does work at pistol velocities but it is very sticky. Real bees wax does work better for bullet lube.

Not sure what quality wax you need, but I use the Bee's Oil type for an Ulu bowl and it is good stuff. I see where you can buy it online below....

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/prod...1&SKU=15885513
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.