Thread: if you could do any hunt?

Default if you could do any hunt?

I am gonna miss this whole year of hunting (leaving for a while)and I will be back with some extra cash.I am looking for a good hunt to take my son out. He will be 9.I was just wondering what you all would consider in my situation for a good hunt for mainly my kid (I wouldnt mind having a little fun too!) I have considered Adak and PWS but would be open to new ideas

Black Bear and Bait Station built for two. Enjoy and have fun.

Default Kodiak Deer

No question in my mind - do a fly-out to the southern part of Kodiak and hunt blacktail deer in late August or September. Should be a blact for a youngster (and for you too).

Just watch out for the bears (in other words, take a bear fence).

Agreed with the deer idea. Either Kodiak or head to Southeast and stay with someone like Coffman Cove Adventures with a cabin and a truck at your disposal. Either place you'd likely have lots of animal sightings, the limit is three or four, and the work isn't so brutal once and animal is down so as to take the fun out of it.

PWS black bear would be a good second option.

Roughneck,
    ....caribou up north in late Aug.
    ...usually physically easy, high bag limits, usually pleasant weather, keeps Sep open for either moose, or late sheep, and only an 8 (?) hour drive from your location.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

I second the caribou option. PWS bear baiting is fun, but lots of hours sitting in a stand in the rain may not be the best experience for his first hunt.

I agree with the Kodiak deer idea, but - up until mid-late october the grass will still be VERY high and unless your son is horizontally gifted, he will miss a lot of the sights. Climbing high & looking down will help, but if it was me, I'd do it during the 3 rd week of October.

Panda bear....I mean if I could choose anything.

In your situation, i'd go on a caribou hunt, just so you can get more than one and have a good time camping and such. They aren't too big to be a problem dealing with either. Either that or maybe a nice black bear hunt. Kids seem to think bears are cooler.
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

I would choose a boat based black bear hunt on PWS. The boat provides a nice warm place to come home to and you can move to cover more areas. Spot and stalk or baiting, each offers inexperienced hunters opportunities to horn their skills. Always exciting to get close to bears and share in a new hunters first bear harvest.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Good call on the caribou up north. Fly out either out of Kotzebue or the Haul Road and you get the adventure aspect of the fly-out hunt coupled with lots of animals (potentially), good visibility, relatively easy hiking, and a bag limit of more than one. That would be a great option.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    I second the caribou option. PWS bear baiting is fun, but lots of hours sitting in a stand in the rain may not be the best experience for his first hunt.
    No need to bait in PWS, spot a stalk opportunites are endless. Teach him the right way to hunt bears!
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    No need to bait in PWS, spot a stalk opportunites are endless. Teach him the right way to hunt bears!
    The right way? I would counter your argument with, there's no need to spot and stalk in PWS as the baiting opportunities are endless...but that's for another thread.

You didn't mention your departure date,..... if it is earlier than the Deer season in Aug. Go for Spring Black Bear from a boat for sure, really fun in lots of ways. Good odds for success, not too boring while you are Spotting, etc. Easy to change the scenery now and then.

If you will still be around in August, I'd think SE for Blacktails would be a good one, if only for the chance of taking a Black Bear tag along as well. Kodiak is Deer alone, well unless you go down to reg Goat country, that could be cool, but would be High

Take a look at this story thread for fun, a few of the pics are missing, but it was a fun hunt with my 8yr old for Black Bear last spring,

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...Bear?highlight=

You're on track to Have a Great Time Dad, Good Idea

Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Combo Fall Moose and Brown Bear drop off hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    I agree. If you have a boat PWS would be a great place to hunt w/ your 9 y/o. Why would anybody want to set up a bait station in the sound for crying out loud? In the spring every slide is a natural bait station. At dusk during low tide, great natural bait station. In August and sept, the mouth of every creek is a bait station. I never heard of bait station hunting in PWS