Thread: Having a mount done over.

Default Having a mount done over.

A couple of months ago, I posted a question about how long a hide should be at the tannery. I had thought my taxidermist might be stringing me along. So today I go by the taxidermist's shop to check on my mount. From what I gather, he's left town, the shop will be going out of business, but someday he will return and finish the mounts that are still there, including mine. The guy running the shop doesn't know when he'll be coming back. I heard from another taxidermist in town that my guy is now working at a shop in Anchorage, even though he still has people waiting for their stuff in Fairbanks.

My mount still needs some finish work, but it is otherwise mounted. I'm just heart broken, it looks like a kid mounted it. I'm not even sure it is the same animal that I dropped off. Four of us looked at it, and we all think it looks like a pretty poor job. Of course, I'm not a taxidermist myself. But as I sit here typing this message, I can count twenty big game mounts on my walls. So I do have an idea about what quality work should look like.

My question is this. Is it feasible to have another taxidermist do the mount over? I think it might be hard to find another taxidermist who'll touch it. I do know one really good taxidermist that might do it, but he lives in another state. And it just makes me sick to think that I'd have to wait another year to get the mount back from the second taxidermist.

Anybody have any ideas about how to handle this? I don't want to mention any names. Thanks for any feedback.

Pick up your mount, guy sounds like a hack running a shady business. Not sure what you had done but I would be more than happy to take a look at what you got, see what can be done and give you some options and honest feedback.

Dahlberg's taxidermy

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by Chilly View Post
    A couple of months ago, I posted a question about how long a hide should be at the tannery. I had thought my taxidermist might be stringing me along. So today I go by the taxidermist's shop to check on my mount. From what I gather, he's left town, the shop will be going out of business, but someday he will return and finish the mounts that are still there, including mine. The guy running the shop doesn't know when he'll be coming back. I heard from another taxidermist in town that my guy is now working at a shop in Anchorage, even though he still has people waiting for their stuff in Fairbanks.

My mount still needs some finish work, but it is otherwise mounted. I'm just heart broken, it looks like a kid mounted it. I'm not even sure it is the same animal that I dropped off. Four of us looked at it, and we all think it looks like a pretty poor job. Of course, I'm not a taxidermist myself. But as I sit here typing this message, I can count twenty big game mounts on my walls. So I do have an idea about what quality work should look like.

My question is this. Is it feasible to have another taxidermist do the mount over? I think it might be hard to find another taxidermist who'll touch it. I do know one really good taxidermist that might do it, but he lives in another state. And it just makes me sick to think that I'd have to wait another year to get the mount back from the second taxidermist.

Anybody have any ideas about how to handle this? I don't want to mention any names. Thanks for any feedback.
    I agree with Hoyt, go get your mount. Curious though, you say it appears to be a poor job. What specifically do you see? I'm certainly not defending the guy in any way, but assuming you had a head mount done, if the finish work (waxing and painting) hasn't been started yet, the mount will look pretty rough. In any case, as the customer, I say go get it and have a professional take a look at it. This guy sounds like no one I would ever want to deal with.

What kind of critter do you have with him?
    You can remount if it hasnít dried fully, it will depend on the kind of tan and what kind of glue he used. If the cape is ruined you can replace it, if you have pictures any taxidermist worth his salt can make it look like the original.
    Alaska Mountin' Man Taxidermy
    North Pole, Ak 99705
    (907) 488-7083

What shop are you dealing with? I know bashing isnt allowed, but it would be nice to know what is going on in case other people have work there. Seems like it would be ok to post that info right?