Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Adak Island

  1. #1
    Member jcorwin4278's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    North Pole, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    360

    Default Adak Island

    I have been looking into hunting Adak. I found some old post's with information regarding the who. What I would like to know is how do you get your gear and you bou there/back. I am really interested in doing the hunt, but can't seem to figure out how to get your gear and the bou's back. Do they take the bou on the plane? do you to ship it? How do you get gear there? Any information anyone could share would be great. If you don't want to share with everyone, you could PM me. Thanks

    J
    Hunt until you don't like it any more

  2. #2
    Member scott_rn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage
    Posts
    803

    Default

    I spoke with a guy who has done the Adak thing several years. He always packs food over there with fish boxes, brings them back full of caribou. If he wants to bring a rack he does split the antlers.

    In state flights on alaska airlines allows 3 checked bags.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    96

    Default

    Rubbermaid totes, fish boxes, coolers, they all work well. Be aware that they will hold you to the 50lb rule. I fit 1.5 caribou (bone in) in 3 totes and was well under 50lbs on each. Depending on the size of the animal, and if you de-bone them, you might be able push it a little more.

    I just hunted there last fall and had a great time thanks to all the help I received from this forum. So in an effort to pay it forward, please feel free to pm me (or post) with any questions you have.

  4. #4
    Member jcorwin4278's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    North Pole, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    360

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Here's to Life! View Post
    Rubbermaid totes, fish boxes, coolers, they all work well. Be aware that they will hold you to the 50lb rule. I fit 1.5 caribou (bone in) in 3 totes and was well under 50lbs on each. Depending on the size of the animal, and if you de-bone them, you might be able push it a little more.

    I just hunted there last fall and had a great time thanks to all the help I received from this forum. So in an effort to pay it forward, please feel free to pm me (or post) with any questions you have.
    Thanks, I never thought about totes. How did you get the racks back? I would rather not cut the skull plate in half, but if that's the only way, then I will. Also did you stay in the houses or did you pitch a tent? You can pm me if you would like. Thanks for helping me out.

    J
    Hunt until you don't like it any more

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jcorwin4278 View Post
    Thanks, I never thought about totes. How did you get the racks back? I would rather not cut the skull plate in half, but if that's the only way, then I will. Also did you stay in the houses or did you pitch a tent? You can pm me if you would like. Thanks for helping me out.

    J
    jcorwin4278,

    There's been numerous threads on this, countless in fact, however that said, I actually have no idea how easy is is to search this forum for that info so...Adak is a great hunt. In short...use frequent flier miles to get there...take tots....if you're nice at the ticket counter you just may be able to get tots weighing up to 100lbs to pass w/no problem, be a butt hole and you can forget that. Rent a townhouse, worth the price. Rent an ATV or...Argo...(Jack Stewart) is the only guy I know w/an Argo...it handles up to 4 in comfort. Negotiate your price w/him. Snoop around and ask (remember they are NOT guides) if they know if any caribou within range and plan accordingly. Last season we could have blasted all the caribou we wanted in October...this year (we just recently returned) in late November our first day was our only day to shoot "anything"...for the meat locker. We left that Thursday after arriving Sunday with...nothing. But that's OK, that was our call on this trip as we wanted to see how late we could push the season for finding big horns.

    This is a great trip. I've produce one TV show on it but, you've got all the info you need already. Don't tent it. Don't try to walk in. You'll hate life if you actually get something and have to pack it back. I'm talking like up to 10 miles and...beyond. Rent the Argo...ATV....get a warm place to stay, and slay sum caribou. Good luck.
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    6,031

    Default search tip

    Quote Originally Posted by tdelarm View Post
    jcorwin4278,

    There's been numerous threads on this, countless in fact, however that said, I actually have no idea how easy is is to search this forum for that info so...
    Jcorwin,

    Its been said before, but likely bears repeating:

    The best way to search this site is to go to google.com, then click on advanced search, then fill in "outdoorsdirectory.com" (without the quotes) in the appropriate box saying to restrict your search to certain domains. Then type in some good keywords, like for this search that would be "Adak Island" (again without the quotes).

    There's a heckuva lot of info on this site that you can get using that method.

    P.S. Great job taking the high road recently on this forum. +1 to you, sir.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    96

    Default

    It is true that there are many other threads on Adak, but really it is just a bunch of different threads that same the same thing over and over again, with each thread producing one or two new pieces of information. As it is with this thread.

    No racks for us (well they were there but I would hardly call them a rack) so I can't help you on that end.

    I would agree with those guys about renting a town home. Well worth it. Same goes with some sort of transportation. When we were there all the animals were on the road system so a truck would have been best cause you could stay warm and dry and still spot animals (we were on ATV's). However, if the animals are further off the road system, some sort of ATV or Argo would be much better.

    PM coming with more info.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •