Thread: Skinning Tails of Critters

Default Skinning Tails of Critters

How do you do it? I had my taxi show me, well he offered to show us on a fox, nice cross. Never would've thunk it!

He skinned down the tail a bit, about 2" from the anus. Enough to cut the tail loose from the fox.
    Then clamped the tail in a decent size shop table mounted vice.
    Then took two screw drivers, a handle of each in each hand, the tips in both hands-over lapping.
    Clamp them over the tail. Have a buddy hold the fox up, you pull like heck.
    The whole tail bone will be left in the vice! Fur stays right side out. Just gotta poke your tanning solution in with a coat hanger or something.

Maybe this is how you all do it. I never seen anything like it and was going to either cut down the tail to skin out, or try and turn it inside out while case skinning.

I was impressed and glad he showed us!!! Just starting to get into the predator thing. Might go sit, do a stand I guess, on thursday night. No traps out yet.

akrstabout, that is the commen way of pulling a tail. They actually make a tool called a tail stripper that has different sized holes depending on what which animal tail you are needing to pull. Your tax guy is using the screwdrives as tools to strip the tail thru. It takes LOTS of practice and a couple of screw ups but I just get a good grip between my knukles and give a quick rip for fox size animals and down. Theres diffently an art to it..

I use this pretty heavy duty aluminum tail stripper.

http://www.gofoxpro.com/products/acc...t_stripper.php

It works good. It takes a bit of shoulder grease, but one the tail starts moving, just keep on pulling and it pops right off. I found that wrapping some paper towel or a rag around the base of the tail gives me a real good, non-slip grip for the pulling.

Knuckles huh, must have a grip like no other!

Cool tool there. Good info guys. I mostly skin bears and moose. So never put much thought into the fox and tailed critters.

I never used a special tool. I would skin down the tail a few inches then put the skin back over that part. Wrap your hand tight around the tail fur where you just skinned, pull and it would strip the rest off. Kinda hard to explain in words, but I can see it in my minds eye like yesterday. Did lots of coon, fox and mink that way.

We have lots of coyotes down here and I hope to go out and get one in the next few weeks. If I do, I will take some pictures or video of the skin job and post it.

plwilli,
    I'd like to check that method out. Fox tails are pretty easy to get off compared to the coyotes I get. Some of those coyotes, especially if they freeze are tough to remove. Sometimes I think my shoulders are going to blow out. I'll have to try the vice trick one of these days, I like that idea.

I saw a car run over a cat's tail in my neighborhood the other day and it stripped the tail fur right off. I'm not sure what became of the cat but it was still running when I saw it disappear into the bushes. Its tail looked like a possum's. Maybe if the vice and screwdrivers don't work out, you can try the Subaru method. (I'd practice on some local cats first though).
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

I use a 4 dollar tail puller form sporsmans, and slit the tail open afterwards. Super simple and easy.

if your gonna get a tail stripper id recommend a metal/aluminuim one...something tuff...plastic ones work but the nights i was skinning fox for me, my dad, and my uncle...i broke a few plastics ones.

so yes plastic ones will work but may break after you put some foxes into it

cut from the anus, about 4-5 inches down and loosen the cut fur from the tail..put that tail stripper in, grab the base of the tail and give it a pull...it should come off nice

Quote Originally Posted by snowcamoman View Post
    plwilli,
    I'd like to check that method out. Fox tails are pretty easy to get off compared to the coyotes I get. Some of those coyotes, especially if they freeze are tough to remove. Sometimes I think my shoulders are going to blow out. I'll have to try the vice trick one of these days, I like that idea.

I think I understand what plwilli is saying. The vice is cool, cause it holds it tight and solid, the tail pulled very easily. It took a lot of pressure to hold the screw drivers, slipped once. Resituated and it ripped the tail bone right out. Only tool required is the vice, everybody has screw drivers around.

Default I just busted a gut

I can't believe nobody is laughing about SkinnyD's Subaru method. I don't mean to be mean about cats, but that was funny! What an image! Come on guys, a little harsh maybe, but funny just the same.
    Skinny, hope things are going well for you. Thanks again for your help this fall looking for that old dog of mine.
    ARR

And thanks for the laugh.

If you ever need help skinning a catch don't hesitate to give me a call. Stop by my place and we will get that hide off, tail out, and turn all necessary parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Gremlin View Post
    If you ever need help skinning a catch don't hesitate to give me a call. Stop by my place and we will get that hide off, tail out, and turn all necessary parts.
    WOW. That is extremely kind.

LB, good to know. I will get a metal one if mine breaks.

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Gremlin View Post
    Hey thanks man! Have not been just for preds. yet. We are wanting to do it and have a good spot we think, others go past it by the way it looked. If we ever get more snow will check it more and hunt it. Maybe set some traps.

Gun show this weekend, so nothing happening this weekend.

a tube flairing tool also works great for a tail stripper

I skin down just enough to be able to grab the tail bone and then pull it out. Fox, marten, works real nice.

Two pieces of round rod about 4 or 5 inches long works good also. Use same method as screwdriver method. I use about 5/16 rod. I skin the tail while animal is hanging on skinning gamble. Leave tail attached to carcas and put hand around base of tail. Put rods on each side of tail bones and strip off hide. They make a tail skinner that is V shaped and mounts to a workbench. It works well also but requires you to remove animal from skinning gamble and strip tail then put animal back on gamble to finish skinning.

i just split em down the bottom side.....i've have bad luck stripping tails so i don't even try anymore....i can split one just as fast as anyone can strip one....plus you never know on stripped tails if all the hair is gonna stay on when you send it to the tannery... lots of people end up splitting it after they strip it anyhow
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"