Thread: Ice fishing for Pike on Memory Lake

Default Ice fishing for Pike on Memory Lake

My friend's father-in-law will be in town this weekend and they asked me to take him ice-fishing. Done a good bit in MN, but 1st winter in AK. Was thinking about trying for some pike on Memory Lake. Any advice for a rookie on AK ice? Would like to get my kids on some fish too if you have any pointers. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by mljac4 View Post
    My friend's father-in-law will be in town this weekend and they asked me to take him ice-fishing. Done a good bit in MN, but 1st winter in AK. Was thinking about trying for some pike on Memory Lake. Any advice for a rookie on AK ice? Would like to get my kids on some fish too if you have any pointers. Thanks.
    Do you have access to a snowmachine or 4 wheeler? If you do I would recommend going somewhere else and I'd be happy to recommend some places.

If not, fish in 2-10' of water. Look for weeds or structure. Pike are not hard to catch. Jig a herring and try swim jigs or a large Krocodile. If they are around they will bite. Fish a hole for 10 minutes or so and if nothing move on.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

I would have to agree with Pike Palace. If you want to show your friend a good time, Memory is not the place to go. It has been heavily fished out the last 4-5 yrs. It used to be a good lake. There are plenty other places to go. Even drivable places. One place to start would be the Nancy lakes area. If you got a snowmachine you could get into some of the better lakes, but you could hike in to some of them if you don't have sleds. Redshirt is good, Lynx lake is good. Pretty much all of those lakes in that system would be better than memory in my opinion. If you got a sled, there are endless possibilities for pike in the drainages of the Big Su and the Yentna. Not forgetting to mention figure eight, flathorn etc.

ya memory lake is a joke. dont waste your time. most lakes are close to fished out in the valley from the russians.
    Semper Fi!

there are more trout in memory than pike anymore. dont waste your time. go try nancy if you dont have a sled or a wheeler. fish the outlet of the lake right next to open water BE CAREFUL!! like the other guy said fish a hole for a few minuets and move on fish all over that bay if your not getting bites by open water its shallow so barley punch through the ice good luck

Alright...thanks guys, I appreciate the replies. That definitely saves me some time and gives some better direction. Take care.

I have ice fished this lake a few times and have only caught small trout and one 18 inch pike after fishing all day for pike. Not worth fishing for them in that lake.