Thread: Good vet

Default Good vet

Wondering who you guys recommend for a veterinarian in the valley. My new Chessie is doing great, but the place I have been going is just out to make money. They charged an arm and a leg for an "exam" that lasted all of 30 seconds, charged again for an ear swab to check them because of some buildup but didn't even bother to clean the ears, they forgot to trim her nails, forgot to worm her.....ahh, the list goes on. Anyway, they suck and I never see the same doctor. I just miss my old vet from back home - a guy who really cared about the dog and wasn't in it just for the money. Anyway, if you can recommend someone good who isn't trying to get rich off of me, please let me know. I will need to take her for her second round of shots in a couple weeks.

I have had great luck with Palmer vet...they once saved my dog's life by performing emergency surgery on the spot when another vet wanted to wait three days to see how he was doing...anymore, I do not even look at the cost, they all charge plenty but my dogs are worth it. Palmer vet has made up for the cost in friendlyness, home visits, after hours phone calls and both doctors are hunters and they both have dogs. They were once humble enough to say they were not the best to do a certain procedure and recomended another doctor. My 2 cents

Thanks. As far as the dog being worth it, sure, but that doesn't mean I don't mind getting ripped off. This other place I have been going charges 50-55 for an exam every time I go in. If I just need to get a shot, I expect to be billed for a $10 shot, not for a $50 exam and a $10 shot. That is why I am aggravated about the prices. They give terrible care AND charge the heck out of you. My other dog had a bad tooth that needed to be pulled. They said no, put him on antibiotics. Over $100 later, he was no better and they said they needed to go in and look and see if it needed pulling. I finally had enough and said no, just pull the dang thing. Still cost a pretty penny for that. Back home that would have cost about $35 - these guys charged like 90. Again, I am ranting because I can't stand it. I want a fair vet because I don't have a lot of money, but I do have a nice dog that I expect to hunt with for many years.

Another +1 for Palmer vet. I take my dog there and they can put up with his constant barking and whining. Very friendly, and they don't try to push off useless meds on you.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

I might be wrong but I think all vets now charge you to walk in the door (exam fee). I had this beef with my vet in Montana when she started to do it. Went to find another vet and was disappointed with the service and soon he too was charging the "exam fee", so I went back to the original vet. At least if I have to pay the fee I might as well get the better service.

I am not sure if you can avoid that "exam fee", but quality service and care certainly can be expected.

Default Best vet I know

Jim Hagee in Chugiak. I have had really great service and I still have both of my arms and legs.