Thread: need to talk to Glen Allen area resident

Default need to talk to Glen Allen area resident

anyone near Glen Allen on this forum I have proposal for you

Dunno any Glen Allen residents.....Did know an Alan Glenn who used to live in Glennallen....

“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

eh well that would be Glennallen I need to find someone willing to take a few photos of DNR land near Glennallen I could pay for their time.
    Probably around April assuming you can see the ground by then

the land is all the same.. raggedy trees,, lowlands, and some highlands.. more lowlands though ... you can get amazing shots of the area with google earth , try street view,.. and you can download overlays for elevations and GMU's..

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Closer to May. We still ride snowmachines in May. The lakes don't go out until Memorial Day to the week after. If the lot is near Lake Louise, I can probably get a few pics of it now. You really need to see it, walk it etc..... The trees will tell a lot.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

Hi M freeman I will be in Glennallen at the end of April working on my property and could do this for you if you still need pics

fleabittenrat,
    I'm also looking at some DNR property near Glennallen. If it's not too much trouble, could you describe your property and the area. I am interested in building a small cabin for Summer use, but I'm a little intimidated by being so remote. The area I was looking at appears to be about 12 miles south of Glennallen near the Richardson Highway.

Just because the DNR is selling land, doesn't mean its the best deal on land, nor the best location for property. Figure out where you want to have land, and then look at private parsels for sale. There are lots of places where you can build a cabin in the woods, but if you want to more then just stay at the cabin, give serious consideration to where the land is located.

Hope you like mosquitos.

Paul,
    Point well taken. I need to do a little more research. The little information I have so far makes the Glennallen area seem to be a good blend of a remote adventure with the comfort of having access to civilization reasonably close. Four more years to retirement and looking to realize a dream

It will be money and time well spent to spend a year or two renting and traveling around the state before deciding on a local. Unless it's property on the water, land prices around the state don't vary much, the big factor is whether or not you can drive to the property. Personally I like mountains and the ocean, so GlenAllen would be one of the last areas I'd consider. Other than fishing on the Gulkanna, there really isn't much going on in that part of the state, unless you drive for several hours. I wasn't kidding about the mosquitos, whenever I've been through that part of the state in the summer the mosquitos have been numerous and agressive.

Figure out exactly what type of activities you want to enjoy in the summer, and folks here can give you good input on what parts of the state are the best choice to locate a cabin.

My retreat is near Glennallen. Glennallen is not a cheap place for fuel, groceries, building materials etc...... It is also 4 hours to Anchorage on a road that has some of the best and some of the worst driving conditions around. I drive it a lot. The tough part of remote living is figuring what you like to do and what your basic needs are. Access can be a problem. If health conditions prevent you from walking out in a pinch, you should stick near the road. Can you afford to buy a MuskOx or Argo? Some areas are not friendly to non-track rigs. Some semi-remote areas require ATV and boat to get in. You might even have to wade and drag your boat a couple hundred yards. You really need to figure out what type of lifestyle you want. Take all things into account. An example - If you are healthy and don't really want to see people but once a month, get away from the hubs by at least 10-20 miles. If you are sociable, like to see neighbors (mostly on the weekends), like to stop by the lodge for a drink while being responsible, that is a whole different area. If you are a drinker.... you might want to be very close to a lodge or bar or 2..... it all depends.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

Not much to tell its kinda bland Im not really remote only about 200 ft from gravel road and about 2 miles to town I just like the fact that Wrangell St Elias is so close because I do like hiking. If I could afford it I would be South of Anchorage like Girdwood, Seward, Moose Pass , to me the scenery is more beautiful and more to do but land is a little more expensive from what I saw. If you can make to seward for July 4th you will have a great time I know I did. I will probably sell down the line sometime if and when the economy picks up and I have things ship shape.

Many thanks to all. This information is invaluable. I do plan to visit the area this Summer and get a feel for the terrain. I like to kayak, hike, explore, etc... I thought the Glennallen area looked like a good starting point, but certainly appreciate the advice of coming to check things out before diving in. I'm a little jealous of you guys that have already made the move! There is something to be said about South Carolina weather though. Looking at mid 70's today and a chance to go sailing after work!
    Thanks again!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SCkayaker View Post
    There is something to be said about South Carolina weather though. Looking at mid 70's today and a chance to go sailing after work!
    Thanks again!!!
    13 degrees, expecting a foot of snow tonight. Loading up the snowmachines and itching to head to the cabin after work tomorrow. It's all about what you like.

Amen NRick! Sounds like fun in my book too!!

SCKayaker....PM me if you can do that, being a new member, or email me at rmahoney@uidaho.edu or call if you want at 208-669-0143, I had my dream, did it, still doing it, a little different than Glennallen but not that far, but you need a boat!

I'm a former 'Bama guy myself!

A buddy of mine built a place near Glennallen becasue he got some land cheap. I visited him once and once only. Miles of black spruce and relentless skeeters. Beer still tasted good but that tastes good anywhere. Prefer to be on a lake or river myself. Klutina Lake which isn't too far from Glennallen is gorgeous.