Thread: 45/70 Ammo

Question 45/70 Ammo

I got a good buy today ($325) on an almost new 1895 GS Stainless 45/70, wood stock, open sites. I'm planning on bear hunting in May in the Misty's by boat for black and brownies using this new aquisition.

My question is what off the shelf ammo would be the best to use. I'll be in Anchorage 3/19 and hope to find be able to find what I need.

I did a search on the Forum and couldn't pin down a favorite factory round.

Suggestions?

thanks
    kingfisherktn

The garret or buffalo bore ammo is pretty good stuff. I reload all of my ammo and stick with the 405gr kodiak bonded @ 1925fps.

Question Availability

Where's the best option where I'll find the Garrett or BB?

Default Not sure thats what you want...

I carry the same gun for protection on canoe fishing trips in Alaska. I took Buffalo bore on the last trip. I am not sure that is what you want. It was not nearly as accurate (to me atleast) as factory ammo. And as far as knockdown power goes, you have plenty without the juiced up ammo from Buffalo Bore or Garretts. They both sell an excellent product and it will be in my gun on the Goodnews River this August while I am fly fishing for silvers and bows. But for hunting, I would find/make something else. I dont know much about it, but there is an "evolution" or "revolution" round that has a polymer point and increases the ballistic coefficient of this round considerably. Much less drop down range from what I remember hearing. An excellent hunting cartridge I am sure. That would likely be a much better hunting round. You dont need the extra power, you need accuracy. I did some work on my gun. I sanded the wood and sprayed spray on truck bed liner (black) on it in about 7 light coats. Unbelievable looking and tough as nails. Sent it to Steves Gunz in Texas for an action job and would have paid twice what he charged. The gun was smooth as butter afterwards. The action, lever, and loading plate were reduced 60-70% in my opinion. I intalled the XS ghost sights on it as well. The gun is perfect for bear protection. For hunting however, I would hate to take a shot farther than about 50 yards with the gun and ammo forementioned. Just my opinion of course.

danattherock
    Got Leverevolution ammo for my 45-70, but I haven’t tried it out on game yet. I’m thinking it going to be real good!

Default I agree...

I think you will be happy. I remember reading an article on the ammo in a NRA magazine last year. But like I said, I got the gun for bear protection and havent looked into hunting ammo. It sounds like good stuff with amazing ballistics for said caliber.

Thumbs up 45/70 ammo

Dan & Bernie:

At the moment I'm looking for factory ammo that could be used for close up and personal encounters. Most of our spring hunting down here for blacks and browns will be boat orientated doing beach hunting, so no long distances. One of my sons will be using his 340 wby for the long stuff.

I got a Marlin .450 from my sons for Christmas and so far I've tried the Leverevolution, but I wanted something with a little more of a punch for the 45/70.

I liked your idea of the ghost ring, wasn't familiar with them until I checked out their web site and your treatment of the stock. Might have to talked to you more about your procedures.

Thanks for the suggestions.

kingfisherktn

Default Marlin

I would be happy to tell you about the spray on truck bed liner. I was tired of rocks along the river banging my gun. The spray on truck bed liner (not my idea) was a godsend. Tough as it can be. And if you chip it, you just take the stock off and reapply a few sprays and you have a brand new looking gun once again. Its simple and I would be happy to tell you about it if you are interested. One nice thing too, is before you apply it, you have to sand the stock down a little so it will take (stick). And when I did this, I took the forearm down considerably. It is sleek and reminds me of a very old lever action. Probably took 1/4 inch of each side of the forearm. Much better handling gun now. After hearing of your intended use for the gun, I think it would serve you well. In the hands of a descent shot, 100 yards would be a great range with good ammo. But no further in my opinion. If you were in the 40-70 yard range, it would be a dead ringer. The ghost ring sights are for fast target aquisition and better distance shooting (hunting) could be had perhaps with other sights. As for ammo for up close and personal with bears, the Buffalo Bore or Garret ammo would be tough to beat. Get the hard cast stuff. There are a few different recipes offered by both companies. Get the big stuff if you are going to be within 70 yards of dangerous game. This ammo is twice as powerful as factory fodder. For anything outside 70 yards, use different ammo or as you suggested a different rifle. Great gun for its purpose and with an action job (steves gunz in Texas) and some ghost sights and some high power ammo, you will be on top of the food chain anywhere you go. I will email you some pictures of the Guide Gun I told you about if you want to see it. Email me at danattherock@hotmail.com if interested.

Default Marlin owners forum

I forgot to mention a forum http://www.marlinowners.com/board/ This is where I got most my ideas to customize my Marlin 45-70 Guide Gun. Great info here.

Default gunsmith

Here is the guy for the action job.
    Steve Young
    4525 Alamosa St.
    Port Arthur, TX 77642
    (409) 984-5473
    steve@stevesgunz.com

Thumbs up Marlin

Dan: thanks for the great info and I sent you an email.

kingfisherktn

I did that spray on bedliner about 3 years ago now and it has held up fantasticly. It really is tough as nails, but you have to be sure to put a finish on the inside of the wood stock also. You don't want any exposed wood to soak up water. XS and wild west guns make great ghost rings, I've tried both and perfer the wild west, I also like the leupold scout scope with heavy post reticle and the light mount from wild west comes in realy handy when taking that late night dump and wanting to see what is making noise in the brush.

As for ammo definately go with either a hard cast like garrets or buffalo bore or one of the better 400gr bullets like the kodiak, or woodligh.