Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dumb Question: What are you using in your bear defense shotguns?

Default Dumb Question: What are you using in your bear defense shotguns?

May not exactly be "hunting forum" stuff, but I didn't know where to ask this...

From what I have gathered, a short barreled 12 gauge of one sort or another (make mine an 870 thanks much, an 18" barreled 870 stuffed with 4 buck is our "house gun") probably the most relied upon bear defense weapon in AK, but what to feed your 12 gauge never seems to be part of the info. I ask as I have a lifetime supply of car door buster pumpkin ball 1 ounce slugs and short mag 00 Buck (LE range officers just seem to accumulate such things) and there's no use transporting it up if it isn't the right stuff...

My uneducated guess is either would do to put up a bad breath range defensive hail of big lead chunks, but I could be entirely wrong too...

Leave the shot gun at home and go with a short barreled (20in) 375 Ruger or H&H bolt action. Shot guns are great for home defense and things with feathers but as for bears well....... Buck shot of any type is not very effective on bears in my opinion. Yes the pellets are the size of a 30 caliber bullet but they are about as hard as an old piece of bubble gum. I'm not sure what type of slug your describing, though if they are a soft lead low velocity type I would leave them at home as well. I used to carry a slug gun loaded with Brenneke Black Magics but luckily I never had to use them.

Just my opinion,
    John
    Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Chinese proverb

Brenneke 2 3/4" magnum slug from Vang Comp 870 police magnum.

Likewise on the Brenneke slugs. Mossberg Mariner.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Mossberg Mariner 500 here too, Brenekke 3" Black Magic's.

#2 steel shot, "cause if I'm packing the shotgun, its most likely while I'm Bird or Rabbit hunting, along a river or willows, where Bears are.

#2 at 2-10 feet is probly gonna do some sorta slap up,or down, and Im betting that the shot is near a slug yet and hard hitting.....though I have yet to shoot a Bear that way.

I think Hickok said " Gotta be calm and look the Devil in the eye......"
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Brennekkes, huh? Not surprising, those have a long rep for great performance. When I was a kid growing up in southern Minn, the guys who got deer every year seemed to use them, where everyone else used what ever 3/4 oz 12 gauge pumpkin ball they could get in a 5 pack at the filling station or hardware store...

Thanks...

Used a Brenneke 3" slug on a bear this year. It did the trick. I use an 870 Police.

My dad tried using buckshot on a small camp raiding black bear a number of years ago. Penetration was minimal and they eventually had to finished it off with a slug. Not recommended.

Yk

Bear loads in a shotgun comments being hard to find on here? I remember some posts going on for pages and pages in the hand gun or shooting forums. Bird shot, buck shot slugs, pistols, rifles all tossed in the pot for discussion.

The bear safety class instructors always advocate slugs only, unless you are in polar bear country, in which case you are legally required to scare the bear first. Then it is cracker shell, bean bag, and then slug.

If you plan on using an 870 get a scattergun tech/wilson combat ghost ring rear site on it with a large dot front sight. Use a shoulder stock. I used one of these sights on a company gun some years ago and I was stunned at how fast and accurate I was over my normal fast and accurate with iron sights. BTW too many folks carry an SG with just a bird bead on the front and no rear sight. Unless they are Tom Knapp they can't hit anything with any accuracy.

Since you are in LE you probably have spent time with combat sights on an SG and understand their value in CQB environments. CQB is what a bear encounter becomes after "nice bear good bear" doesn't work.

I like the Remington Buckhammer.Looks better on paper and cost less.I do know for a fact the cheap 1 1/4oz Federals work great and did so on six different town brown bears at DLP range
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by NDTerminator View Post
    What are you using in your bear defense shotguns?

45-70

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Bren Black Magic in spas 12.
    Used by quite a few up in Church for P.Bear.
    Gun stays in plane for bear only.

Never had to use it, but the ones that did swear by it.

Ruger Hawkeye Alaskan, .416 Ruger.

Shotgun-Wincheshter 1300 Defender 18" holds 8 2 3/4. I grew up in southern MN, I am a big fan of the old 1 oz HP slug. I mix in some OO Buck. Drops stuff dead!!

Pistol-S&W 460 5" with 395 grain CorBons in a Dave Johnston Guide Gear holster.
    I have such a hard time trying to decide which outdoor activity to do every chance I get!! Living in AK is a mental challenge

Dixie Terminators or the Brenneke Black Magic's. The Black Magics and the Dixies are hardened lead penetrators. The Dixies are a small company, check out their website, pretty impressive stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    Bear loads in a shotgun comments being hard to find on here? I remember some posts going on for pages and pages in the hand gun or shooting forums. Bird shot, buck shot slugs, pistols, rifles all tossed in the pot for discussion.

The bear safety class instructors always advocate slugs only, unless you are in polar bear country, in which case you are legally required to scare the bear first. Then it is cracker shell, bean bag, and then slug.

If you plan on using an 870 get a scattergun tech/wilson combat ghost ring rear site on it with a large dot front sight. Use a shoulder stock. I used one of these sights on a company gun some years ago and I was stunned at how fast and accurate I was over my normal fast and accurate with iron sights. BTW too many folks carry an SG with just a bird bead on the front and no rear sight. Unless they are Tom Knapp they can't hit anything with any accuracy.

Since you are in LE you probably have spent time with combat sights on an SG and understand their value in CQB environments. CQB is what a bear encounter becomes after "nice bear good bear" doesn't work.

Very familiar. A few years before I was given the mission of forming, training, and leading our SIU (Special Incident Unit), I talked the Chief into letting me have an 870 SP
    custom modified for entry/tactical use. One of those mods was a heavy duty set of ghost rings with heavy protection wings back & front. Even my ever aging eyes can pick those things up. It was and remains my favorite dept weapon, probably having nothing to do with it being born of my slightly warped mind. Maybe I can drop a couple heavy hints and have it given to me when I retire out & head north...

Quote Originally Posted by NDTerminator View Post
    One of those mods was a heavy duty set of ghost rings with heavy protection wings back & front. ........ Maybe I can drop a couple heavy hints and have it given to me when I retire out & head north...
    I found that I prefer the scattergun tech/wilson ghost ring. They carry them on midway and I also see at natchez that Trigicon is making a similar set. The rear sight mounts on the rear curve of the receiver and it is really low and close to the eye. There is just a heavy machined eye loop with the machined base which keeps snagging down with all the round surfaces.

The one gun i did shoot with the military/tachical rear wing shrouded ghost ring kept causing me to lift my cheak just slightly off the stock, which allowed the 3 inch magnum slugs to hammer my face and neck. This in turn slowed me down after three shots.

Your experience may vary.

When I left my last job they pitched in and bought me something pretty cool that I could not afford myself at that time. Maybe your department can pass the hat for you as well.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Default Not always, for sure, a good idea, that.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    This is unbul'reebable.

Such a law/regulation, is "Stupidity elevated to an Art Form".

I gotta better idea. Carry the Beanie Bag load in my pocket, and use it IF, and AFTER, I survive the Polar Bear encounter.

Who's to know?

Do ya think they would send a buncha Forensic Investigators?

If the people in charge, are as dumb as the ones who made that regulation, I must admit, it's entirely possible.
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

M-60 and Four RPG's

A blue handled "Estwing" Axe, and a big Pair.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast