Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tougher hunt? Sheep or goats.

Default Tougher hunt? Sheep or goats.

Both guided ,what's your opinion.

Goats, more people die chasing Goats than Sheep. Add to it that Goats tend to be hunted later in the season when bad weather complicates an already dangerous endeavor.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Might be tougher to hunt goats, but it's tougher to find a legal sheep.
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

Quote Originally Posted by Rod in Wasilla View Post
    Might be tougher to hunt goats, but it's tougher to find a legal sheep.
    He said Guided,,,,, Guided Sheep hunters usually get a little help from "eyes in the skies"

Just my observations, yours may be different.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I have never had a hard time finding legal sheep Goats are alot harder from what I have been told. Doing my first goat hunt this year so maybe I'll find a easy one.

Not all hunts for these animals are created equal. I would say late season south east coastal goat would be the hardest but I would certainly rank sheep in a glacial region of the Chugach or Wrangell mts as harder than a Kodiak island goat. No matter where you hunt some harvests come easy and some come hard. Frankly in 2009 I walked up to the head of a drainage and shot a goat off the side of the mountain. It was a pretty hard hike but nothing dangerous. The next year my buddy went back to the same area and his wife lost her footing and ended up getting med-evac'd off the island. Point being, there are SOO many variables when mountain hunting in AK that any given hunt can push you to or even over the edge.

I bet few ever even look at them but there is a decent collection of stories on this site outside the forum. Here is one that Mike wrote and I think it does a good job of providing a sobering taste of reality regarding what those of us who love the mountains and the animal that take refuge there risk in our pursuits. http://outdoorsdirectory.com/magazin...eep_hunter.htm

I believe it depends on the Unit and how many animals you have to look over. Some areas can be just as "cliffy" for either species. As Steve said, the time of year enters in as well. Of course the parameters to find a legal ram can be harder than finding a good billy. In my opinion its a toss up.

never had a goat hunt go over 3 days, mentally i'd say sheep are tougher by far. physically, its a toss up. goats are fast and furious and full of action. sheep is more long distance walking, moving camps..blah blah
    but being a guide, i'd say sheep are a harder hunt. and alot less fun than goat hunts.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

In three hunts, I have shot one sheep and two goats, in that order. My Sheep hunt was by far the most taxing, both on my body and on my mind. It took many days of determined effort and stalks to connect on a ram. On both of my goat hunts I have shot a goat on first day I was actually hunting. Both of those goat hunts took alot of time and effort to get to the hunting area, so I am not counting those days.

I wasn't looking for a mega billy either, so that was much easier. I shot the largest legal goat in the first group I saw. That happend to be an old dry Nanny one year and a large billy the second.

Sheep was taken in August and goats in September.

I'd say sheep....the bottom line : goats will watch you walk right up to them within bow distance, while sheep will leave the "country". Both will hang out in the same steep terrain.

Never had a hard Goat hunt. Been on some Mogengator sheep hunts.

One more item about comparing ram vs billy hunts... (hope I did not miss this as I scanned the thread...)

Searching for a legal ram we are passing on the 5, 6 and usually 7 year old guys while looking for 8+ year old guys.
    When searching for a billy most hunters will shoot a 3 or 4 year old.

It is simply harder to find 8 and 9 year old rams, as opposed to finding 4 or 5 year old mountain goats.
    Sheep hunts are my physically toughest/hardest hunts. But my mountain goats hunts are in rougher country.

dennis

My call is Sheep by far. I am just going to ball park but 15 grand for a sheep and 6800 for a goat hunt. Money is often the botom line when the realities of life rear their ugly head. Sheep are way tougher to scratch the money up to hunt and then convince your spouse you really need to do it (HA). I am keeping in mind you said "guided'. A person has to be in shape to hunt both so that is a given.

From simply a time and distance required to harvest a sheep vs. goat a sheep USUALLY would be harder to find. Generally goat hunts generally less than 5 miles from starting point, but straight up into the nasty stuff. Whereas sheep hunts generally require hiking in much further and THEN you hike up. Exceptions to everything, but just what I have found in my limited hunting experience.

Going to say sheep hunting over all is harder. Its the terrian & conditions that makes goat hunting hard & you can find those conditions in both hunts. But sheep are more alert & by far smarter. Goats are not that bright. I have seen sheep bolt & book for country unknown, while a goat just casually moves higher or away & even may come closer to check you out. Not to mention as stated previously it is a bit harder to find a legal sheep than it is to find a legal goat (Nanny w/o kids or Billy). Finding water in goat country has never been an issue, but in sheep country I have ran out & had to descend hundreds of feet to find it.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaTrueAdventure View Post

Sheep hunts are my physically toughest/hardest hunts. But my mountain goats hunts are in rougher country.

dennis
    That is the key Dennis. Sheep hunts often require a longer approach, tougher stalk, patience to find a legal animal, etc., but goats are definitely in tougher country.

By way of example, on my last Chugach sheep hunt I camped about 500 yards below the hang out of a monster billy. He was there for several days while I tried to hunt sheep. A trophy ram never would have put up with that nonsense.

That's a tough call. I've never been on a guided hunt, so I have zero experience with it(and a lot more money still in my pocket). I'd have to say it's a toss up, with a lean to sheep.

Tougher to harvest an animal would be a mature dall sheep, BUT more risk to life would be goat hunting in my opinion. Although, I've been in hairy conditions while sheep hunting, I've felt lucky to survive several goat hunts because of the terrain I've hunted them in.

What do you prefer? They are both exciting and a good guide should educate you on the safety and discipline required to hunt each animal.

It will be the goat .I am turning 49 in sept. and I better do it now. The sheep may never happen but then again I thought the goat ,bou,moose would never happen ether.

I've never been more frustrated, tired, and beaten then after six hours of crawling through solid alders trying to get up a valley for goats. A hike we thought would take 4 hours took 8 after we hit the alders. Took 8 hours to go 3.5 miles and we weren't even going up a mountain. My sheep hunt a few years ago was no walk in the park but didn't test me like those dang alders. The pack out with my goat was no stroll either but a slightly different route helped some.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast