Thread: koyukuk river

Default koyukuk river

so im thinking of canoeing the koyukuk. possibly putting in around weisman and then floating down to koyukuk and taking out there. but im also looking into the north fork as well. I was wondering if anyone has done this before or had any suggestions. would appreciate any knowledge anyone has

I have not been in a canoe on the Koyukuk river, or the north fork.
    It would be and easy float with no white water to contend with.
    lets hope someone chimes in ..
    I have been up and down the koyukuk in power boats and its a nice big river.
    quite a bit of activity on the river where I have been.
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

I have canoed the Koyukuk from Bettles to Hughes. Flat water but we did it in Spring at flood stage so it was still quick and you had to watch for sweepers. I have been up the North Fork too...but it was frozen. I think there may be some class 2 water between Wiseman and Bettles...but not much.
    Wasilla Real Estate News
    www.valleymarket.com

Ive got a buddy that floated the koyukuk from Mt. Snowden to bettles in a canoe. He had tons of fun!

In a high water year, Freddy pollard took boats down from the bridge all the way to the yukon and then motored up the yukon to that bridge. He tried it again once on a low water year and said it was tough going, but it should be a good trip no matter what.
    Good paddling to you ..
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

I canoed the North Fork in July 2008. Great trip, maybe much better landscape then on the MIddle Fork. Send me an PM, I have some picture on Faceb... or Picasaweb,

regards,

Stefan

Hello CJ,

North Fork will be more the wilderness experience and provide better scenery with other opportunities on the upper reaches. The Middle Fork runs pretty close to Dalton and local guiding/outfitting trips run daily access along the highway out of Coldfoot. Bettles is the optimal take-out for both forks.

Coyote Air Service for put-in on North Fork.

Just north of Coldfoort... several road accesses for Middle.

Bettles Lodge & Air Service or Brooks Range Aviation on the take-out return for either fork.

River character is relatively featureless class I boating and can be run from June through squeaking out end of October* (*on Middle Fork). Better logistics will be late June through last weeks of September. While fishing is not the great attraction in these parts, I've enjoyed the angling right up 'till ice is picking up my fly-line.

I'd consider hiking some days on upper reaches of the North Fork or Wild.

If not going during the 'hunting season', a float trip of that 3 weeks near 300 miles variety you were looking for on another thread can easily be had down the Sheenjek. Likely would not see another party until Ft. Yukon.