Thread: Electric motors

Lightbulb Electric motors

What size electric motor do all of you think for a 16 pelican scanoe.
    Im thinking like 55 lb thrust.

J***

Quote Originally Posted by j*** View Post
    What size electric motor do all of you think for a 16 pelican scanoe.
    Im thinking like 55 lb thrust.

J***
    I routinely try to persuade folks from buying electric motors as a primary power source for a square sterned canoe. If you purchase the electric trolling motor, and a battery suitable for the motor, you could have bought a nice 2.5 or 3.3 horse outboard motor that will be lighter than the electric trolling motor and battery. The tohatsu, mercury, or nissan 2.5 and 3.3 two strokes are usually found used and are an amazing little motor, the can generally be purchased for about $300-500 used. The best avail. small horesepower motor used is the suzuki 2.5 four-stroke. It's lightweight(30lbs.), and cheap to purchase brand new. I don't know where you live, but the electric motors degrade terribly in the cold.

I run a 30lb. w/an Optima group 34 blue top and routinely troll for 8 hours at a time.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Hurt my shoulder last summer and put a side mount on my 16' Penobscot and used a 28 Lb thrust and a garden tractor battery. It pushed it pretty well and the little battery lasted about 2.5 - 3 hours depend upon how hard I pushed it. Worked fine on flat water with no current.

Mainer is correct...I have a Merc 3.3 that I use on a 17' Grumman and it is head and shoulders above the electrics as far a performance but then again...it is a whole lot louder!!

My wife is an avid local lake fisherwoman. She uses a 14 skiff, a 9 foot plastic pontoon bass buggy and a 16' Scanoe. Depending on what lake she fishes, will depend on her boat and motor selection via motor restrictions. She had a 36 pound thrust motor and was always complaining about power loss in the wind, so I got her the 55 pound thrust. She loves it. When she uses a gas motor, we have an old 6 HP evinrude that she likes. I have a 2 HP honda that is about equivalent to the 55 HP which only weighs 26 pounds and sips fuel, it is rather loud as its air cooled. When she uses the skiff on a no motor restriction area, she takes the 6 HP and 55 electric. One to get to where she is going, the other to putt around quietly. My suggestion is decide what is your main target area to fish and decide on gas or electric based on that. Buy if electric, go 55 HP for wind issues. If you can afford both, get both. If you go electric, get two good batteries. That way you always have one to get back.

Default two batteries is better than one

When I use mine I bring two fully charged marine batteries, and a little meter thingy that tells me what charge I have left on them.

Not sure what size I've got; just got an old one on CL for a hundred bucks, and it moves my 18' squareback about 3 or 4 mph.

I also have a 28 lb on a old town 159. Troll speeds are great but I wish I had more oomph getting places. Ideally though my battery will last me 2+days. I only went this route b.c the guy I bought it from threw it in with the deal.