Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remington 788

Default Remington 788

I just bought a Remington model 788 in .308 win for super cheap. I heard it is an accurate rifle, just made cheap. What do you think? Anybody have one they want to post about?

Sounds interesting. Rear locking lugs? Humm.......

The main reason they stopped makeing them is they outshot the spendy 700
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Back in the early 70's I built two bench guns on the action. They both put shiny hardware on my mantle. Both my kids learned to hunt with another, and it's since gone on to 2 more families. The current owner won't sell it back to me. Darn it.

My brother got the family 788 in 7mm-08 It was the most accurate out of the box rifle we ever had until my Savage 22-250 varmint rifle. There was a rumor back in the day that Remington used some Hart barrels on the 788's right from the factory. I don't know if it's true, but our rifle had a tiny heart logo on it and it sure was a shooter.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Nah, its a terrible shooter, can't hit the side of a barn from the inside. I think you need to sell that piece of iron to me!
    Actually I have that rifle in .243 and its darn acurrate. If you got it super cheap, its one of the best deals you ever made. You'll be happy with the accuracy.

The 788 was a well made firearm with a lackluster blue finish and plain stock, pretty inexpensive compared to other firearms of the time. It's main drawback was it's awful factory trigger. They are both rugged and accurate in most every caliber in which they were produced. They were made in calibers that weren't considered bolt gun cartridges like the 44 magnum and 30-30 (both short lived). Watch the detachable magazine it will detach without your assistance in rough terrain.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

I have had a couple of them. The most recent was a 243 that I intended to keep. However a nice dad came to me with the "I want to buy it for my son for his first deer rifle story". The kid was with him and has it now with the agreement that when he gets ready to take the next step I get it back for the same $ his pappy paid me for it. I got a feeling it has the same fate as BrownBear's.

There were a few that had the bolt handle fall off...so the story goes but we probably had 100 come through the shop over the years and I never saw one with a bolt problem.

I've never heard anything but good about them!

Have had two. A .44 mag. and now a .308. I am keeping the .308 as my main light rifle. Timney makes a replacement trigger for them or it was in process of being made. It is the only improvement I think I would make.

http://timneytriggers.com/sunshop/in...ct_detail&p=39

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

My .223 shoots sub MOA out to what ever distance I can see in the scope, and that is with FMJ mil spec ammo. Hand loads....holy cow...on a bench I can't hold the rifle well enough to keep it to a single hole in the paper. However, my dads 788 .223 will not shoot the same hand loads very well - slightly worse than mil spec ammo.

I have probably met over 20 people in my life that had a 788 and none of them, even back in the late 1970's, wanted to sell or trade their rifle due to how well it shot.

I have a 308 that I got 25 years ago. I would never get rid of it. I've used mine to take moose, caribou and deer. 788s are great rifles!

Nothing but good to say about the 788 rifle. As mentioned the trigger was not the best but these guns would shoot. I have one that was bought by my father new in 243 win. that had a 4X universal scope mounted on it as a package deal. Still have rifle and scope. Package price for both was within a few dollars of $100. I have purchased a few more of them over the years but no where near that price. I did not know 7mm-08 was being made when the 788's were being produced.

Quote Originally Posted by Cast Iron View Post
    Nothing but good to say about the 788 rifle. As mentioned the trigger was not the best but these guns would shoot. I have one that was bought by my father new in 243 win. that had a 4X universal scope mounted on it as a package deal. Still have rifle and scope. Package price for both was within a few dollars of $100. I have purchased a few more of them over the years but no where near that price. I did not know 7mm-08 was being made when the 788's were being produced.
    It was one of the more popular calibers, as people converted these light weight 7mm-08 rifles into metalic silhouete shooters. I believe it was considered a "Hunter Class rifle.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

The bolt handle is the weak link in the design. They are brazed onto the bolt body, with very little contact area, and if enough stress is applied, like a sticky case, you are likely to have the bolt in the gun and the handle in your hand. In a well maintained gun, with normal loads, it'll never be a problem. I've personally seen about a half dozen in 30 or so years that have failed. Not common, but possible. Rusty chambers and folk's pet "hot" loads are usually the culprit.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    The bolt handle is the weak link in the design. They are brazed onto the bolt body, with very little contact area, and if enough stress is applied, like a sticky case, you are likely to have the bolt in the gun and the handle in your hand. In a well maintained gun, with normal loads, it'll never be a problem. I've personally seen about a half dozen in 30 or so years that have failed. Not common, but possible. Rusty chambers and folk's pet "hot" loads are usually the culprit.
    I had always heard that about the bolt but never seen it, but then I'm not a smith either. I always wondered how would you fix that bolt handle if it did fall off? Just curious.

I did see a Mossburg 800 with a missing bolt handle but don't know the story behind that one either.

I agree with gunbugs. It's a weakness in some rifles. I've got an action with the bolt handle broken off sitting in a drawer right now, where it's been for over 30 years. It's not due to hammering the bolt open on an overload, rather the rifle fell out of a guy's truck as he was driving down the road. The action was about all I could salvage when he brought it to me.

Repair involves removing the bolt from the action, disassembling and welding. Not a big deal, once you get around to it!

Quote Originally Posted by Daved View Post
    I just bought a Remington model 788 in .308 win for super cheap. I heard it is an accurate rifle, just made cheap. What do you think? Anybody have one they want to post about?

Sounds interesting. Rear locking lugs? Humm.......
    Here is a copy of an older post I made on here:

The Model 788 may not be much of a looker, not too smooth, not super rugged... however, in my experiences with them - all where good shooters to support their sorta cult following.

I see 'em as the T3 of that time... relatively affordable, straightforward function, and plenty accurate right outta the box.

Single stack magazine works great... never had any problems on mine.

Rear lockers are not the greatest deal of all time... particularly to digest a routine feeding of hotter loads. Same goes for the way the bolt-handle is attached.

The two rifles I've kept of this Remington design are a very nice early model 788 factory Walnut w/ nice cheek-piece in .308 WIN and 581 in .22 rimfire. I've used .223 REM, .22-250 REM, & 6mm REM. as well --- All were consistently accurate printing the 100 yard paper at sub-MOA.

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    I had always heard that about the bolt but never seen it, but then I'm not a smith either. I always wondered how would you fix that bolt handle if it did fall off? Just curious.

I did see a Mossburg 800 with a missing bolt handle but don't know the story behind that one either.
    We used a TIG and didn't even damage the blueing on the top side of the bolt. As TIG's run cool and leave a very small bead when handled by the right welder. On a 788 not a Mossberg !

Mine in .223 will shoot 1.25" groups at 200 yards with UMC ball ammo. It's the most accurate rifle I own. The trigger on mine isn't too bad--a bit heavy but pretty crisp. I'm not a huge fan of the detachable mag, but other than that it's a winner for sure.

I finally got around to updating on my range day.

.308 win Remington 788 I picked up at a pawn shop, complete with rings, 6x16 scope, sling and magazine. It shoots sub MOA with the only load I have worked up for it using a 168g TTSX bullets. I have only shot it 15 times and already have it mostly dialed in. It is likely the most accurate gun I own. Who would have thunk it??!!

I am an avid collector of remington models 600/660 and 788's. Every 788 that I have ever owned, seen or shot at the range are flat out great shooters. I do beleive even to this day it still has one of the fasters lock times. I have never had a bolt handle break on me, but have known people who did. Dito on the trigger.

I love the carbine models myself. I say if you can pick one up and it is in good condition you won't go wrong. It suprise you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast