Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So where do you AK guys buy your guns, Ammo, & reloading supplies?

Default So where do you AK guys buy your guns, Ammo, & reloading supplies?

This one has had me curious for some time. Do you have to go to Anchorage or Fairbanks to buy your guns, ammo, & reloading stuff, or are necessary shops scattered further around? Are guys who live close to a smaller town, like Wasilla, have a gunshop they can buy from?

I've wondered if my isolation here in ND isn't similar to what it might be in AK. I'm lucky enough to have a good gunshop here in Devils Lake (7000 population, I live about 14 miles out of town) and Walmart for factory ammo, but it's not unusual that I have to drive to Grand Forks (90 miles) Bismarck (180 miles) or Fargo (180 miles) to get a certain gun over the counter or reloading components, if I want them now. If I'm willing to wait for delivery of a new gun, the local dealer can usually get it and has fair prices. Same with gear & components, I buy a lot of my reloading & general shooting gear on-line, usually Cabelas or Midway...

It all depends on where you live. Considering that half the state population lives within a hour drive from Anchorage its the major retail outlet.

There are gun stores in Wasilla as well as a reloading supply business which is a sponsor on the handloading forum here. There are some super market stores like Fred Meyers and Wally's that are in larger road based communities so you an buy arms and ammo from them. Reloading supplies may be harder to come buy.

If you live off the road system hit is hit or miss on whether or not there is a retailer in your community, if you even live in a community.

A lot of us with internet access spend time looking a sales and what not and if the seller uses the Post Office rather than UPS only shipping we can typically buy non regulated supplies on sale and have the savings cover the shipping cost. Getting powder and primer could be an other issue.

If you live off the road system and don't have a FFL holder in your community you may have to make a trip to town to buy a new gun from a shop. There is a brisk trade in private to private arms sales up here.

Boondock in Eagle River #1. In Wasilla Mat-Su Tactical and Chimo guns. That is where I shop. I will also buy online at times as you stated. The cost of certian firearms seems to be inflated in AK-I can buy some guns online pay the shipping and $10 for a transfer fee and still be money ahead.
    I have such a hard time trying to decide which outdoor activity to do every chance I get!! Living in AK is a mental challenge

I buy my NEW guns here, go to Gunbroker for the stuff I collect, either get my primer/powder from GNG or the powder guy in the Valley, if desparate I will go to Grace but would rather pay more and get it from Joe and Yog. I order lead bullets from Midway and just get my jacketed stuff right from Lapua as we are Lapua dealers. Dies and reloading equipment, we are Redding Dealers so I use us

Quote Originally Posted by NDTerminator View Post
    This one has had me curious for some time. Do you have to go to Anchorage or Fairbanks to buy your guns, ammo, & reloading stuff, or are necessary shops scattered further around? Are guys who live close to a smaller town, like Wasilla, have a gunshop they can buy from?
    The Mat Su Borough with Wasilla included has around 82,000 residents compared to the Fairbanks Northstar Borough's 90,000 (Including 2 military bases). You can hardly call the area small (in Alaska standards) I do order a lot of items that you just can't get in Fairbanks. If I needed some Turkey or Whitetail stuff I would go to SW because they are the only ones with poor enough management to actually stock those items in Ak. We are very limited - Gun broker and Auction Arms are good options for us. My latest problems have been getting 22 match ammo shipped to us.

I buy most of my stuff from ken at wwg's. It's always interesting!

I check gunbroker to see what the going rates are for the guns to help me know when I see a good deal on a used gun I am looking for. Or I will check with my FFL to see what he can get me price wise on the gun. Sometimes going new on gunbroker is cheaper sometimes the FFL is. My last two have been off of gunbroker, but the next couple will likely be fun my FFL.

Thanks for the info.

I have the added detail of being left handed, so I have to look that much further for my rifles & leather (you should see the LH holsters I've collected over the last 30 years). Looking at the safe last night, I think both my wife & I both have at least a usuable selection of stuff that would be good to go in AK. 250s, 270s, 243s, her "heavy" rifle is a pretty Husquvarna 06', mine is a LH 700 in 338 Mag. Not so sure about our 257 Wby Mags, although they are possibly the perfect rifles for hunting deer, goats, and song dogs down here on the prairie. Maybe trade my LH Accumark for one in a stiffer chambering such as 300 Wby?...

I just tried to find a 5.5" Ruger Redhawk and no gunshop in state nor their distributors had even one. Last year at this time I could have shaken them out of the trees. Ended up settling (if that word is applicable) for a new 6" 629 ordered in by the local shop. Smiths sure have gotten rougher & heavier out of the box over the last 30 years I've shot them. This one has a 5 pound plus single action and over 12 pound plus double (maxed out my 12 pound scale). Have to order up a spring kit, and fortunately one of my patrol supervisors is a S&W trained/certified armorer. A trigger job for a couple points bump on his 2011 evaluation seems fair. That or I'll just kill a couple coyotes and drop them behind his garage...

My latest problems have been getting 22 match ammo shipped to us.
    Ive talked to at least five guys from your area about getting quality Lapua or Fiocchi .22 match ammo up to them. The problem is you cant ship up one brick at a time. Its basically $100 to ship and I have offered to wholesale 20 or 30 bricks to someone to spread that cost out and nobody has stepped up to the plate

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    Ive talked to at least five guys from your area about getting quality Lapua or Fiocchi .22 match ammo up to them. The problem is you cant ship up one brick at a time. Its basically $100 to ship and I have offered to wholesale 20 or 30 bricks to someone to spread that cost out and nobody has stepped up to the plate
    I haven't tried either of those brands yet (I do have some waiting to be tested in the girls rifle now that the schools season is over) - The standard ammunition that most of the high schools have been using up here is "SK stanard plus" for practice and "SK 22 Rifle match" for the matches. Can you get the SK ammunition? - Getting it to Fairbanks is not a problem. I have 2 daughters shooting on the high school team so the ammo goes fast.

Quote Originally Posted by rambling raven View Post
    I haven't tried either of those brands yet (I do have some waiting to be tested in the girls rifle now that the schools season is over) - The standard ammunition that most of the high schools have been using up here is "SK stanard plus" for practice and "SK 22 Rifle match" for the matches. Can you get the SK ammunition? - Getting it to Fairbanks is not a problem. I have 2 daughters shooting on the high school team so the ammo goes fast.
    We dont stock the SK (which is Wolf) I would have to special order it. Looks like its half the price of Lapua in the lower 48, but to get the SK up here the difference would be less since we are a master lapua dealer

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    I check gunbroker to see what the going rates are for the guns to help me know when I see a good deal on a used gun I am looking for. Or I will check with my FFL to see what he can get me price wise on the gun. Sometimes going new on gunbroker is cheaper sometimes the FFL is. My last two have been off of gunbroker, but the next couple will likely be fun my FFL.
    I have the same FFL and having one for a buddy could get expensive!

Living on a remote island, we are "in 'em" big time with almost everything Guns/Hunting at Mack's
    Usually the prices are Amazingly similar to outside stores,
    As for Powder Locally, the costs go up hard for the Hazmat factor I imagine, so I go to the Big City

I did go local (as in Anch, GNG) for my Reloading set-up initially, (to be cool to the local guys) still get powder and primers there and hazmat ship them to Kodiak thru Ace Air Cargo, very smooth deal with them.

As for components and tools and Bullets now, Online thru Sinclair or Midway
    Living semi remote, you gotta work all the angles
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

I buy reloading supplies and ammo through Three Bears locally in Kenai. They will match prices on any reloading equipment from Cabelas or other online sources and they have ammo prices that are impossible to beat elsewhere in the state. I did get some 22 ammo (Federal copper plated hollowpoints) for $137 per 5250 round case at Trustworthy in Soldotna last month. Sometimes they run smoking deals on ammo. I get my guns exclusively through my FFL. You know who you are, thank you very much buddy.

Three Bears locally in Kenai.
    Plus one!

I now buy most of my brass and bullets mail order.
    Midway
    Wideners
    Natchez Shooting Supply

Then I bulk up on powder and primers whenever I make the 4-5 hour winter trip up to Anchorage...And hope they have some in stock.. But I can only stand being there for 4-5 hours...

Trustworthy in Soldotna
    All my friends around here (both of them) call Trustworthy "The Cool Hardware Store"

Living on a remote island,
    Dang there Kodiak Rain,,, the city of Kodiak has almost 7,000 folks in and around it... Plus the islands total population is supposedly around 13,000.... So you would think somebody could darn near make a business out of delivering only haz-mat type items...
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    Dang there Kodiak Rain,,, the city of Kodiak has almost 7,000 folks in and around it... Plus the islands total population is supposedly around 13,000.... So you would think somebody could darn near make a business out of delivering only haz-mat type items...
    They are called Southern Alaska Forwarding and they can be a real PITA to deal with... as I'm a chemical rep and my company has had it's fair share of misadventures over the years. A good part of it is the ever changing way the Fed's read the regs.

Guess what one of the latest things to be added to the HAZ-MAT list is?

Canned whip cream. :O

SAF is no longer the "Go To" business for Hazmat to Kodiak, You gotta try ACE Air Cargo, man they are easy to deal with,

In Anch out by the arpt off the Post Office road, whatever that is.
    You pull in there, with your package of about all the Primers and Powder you can afford on one shopping trip, and you're out in minutes, they'll help you fill out the paperwork, it's really inexpensive. I have yet to come anywhere near my max for a package that is only $25 for the Hazmat fee, and pretty cheap on the per pound part.

It'll beat you back from Anch usually. In town within a day or two at the most.

If anyone is in Kodiak looking to put together a Hazmat ship for Powder or Primers, or if you are going up to the City to buy some stuff, thinking of Powder or Primers, etc. send me a PM as I'm usually looking for something and we can share the cost,
    makes it not bad to be down here at all.

As much as I appreciate Mack's, you can beat the local cost by quite a ways by going North and shipping it home

Everything you can find at Great Northern Guns, or SW is now just a small fee away from "The Rock" ......Yeah !!
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

I try to buy my guns from individuals on this forum, friends, and at garage sales. That way I avoid government documentation. I even buy some of my ammo that way.
    I always get a bill of sale from the seller to protect myself, and when I sell guns to a private party I keep a copy of the bill of sale for the same reason. I still buy a few at gun shops and a few at box stores, but it makes me increasingly nervous. There is something rather satisfying about bypassing the BATF, an agency I have no trust in or appreciation for.

Quote Originally Posted by MaximumPenetration View Post
    ... I did get some 22 ammo (Federal copper plated hollowpoints) for $137 per 5250 round case at Trustworthy in Soldotna last month. Sometimes they run smoking deals on ammo.
    I was recently told that Trustworthy would stop selling ammo due to the baby box store moving in down the street. Another one bites the dust.

Call around & save gas money. These #'s were good 6 months ago. In Anchorage & ER

Mountain View Sports 563-8600
    Sportsman Warehouse 644-1400
    Great Northern Guns 563-3006
    Boondocks 694-2229 primers
    Alaska Custom Firearms 349-4867
    Arctic Ammo 357-3381
    Northland Guns (Wasilla) 232-2509 Powder, primers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast