Thread: Marine Grade tool kits?

Default Marine Grade tool kits?

Well, after an interesting "issue" on Saturday; I'm taking it upon myself to provide my fishing buddy with a good, rust resistant (stainless steel?) tool kit for his boat; I've checked amazon, cabela's, west marine and all they have is cheapo sets; I'm interested in something really useful; standard/metric wrenches, assorted sockets, etc. Not really wanting a girly Great Neck, Walmart, Home Depot homeowner kit.

Does anyone know if there is such a thing available?

All else fails I'll get one from Sears/Craftsman as I think they exchange tools (even they're getting tight on their policy) if they're rusty?

thanks-Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim View Post
    Well, after an interesting "issue" on Saturday; I'm taking it upon myself to provide my fishing buddy with a good, rust resistant (stainless steel?) tool kit for his boat; I've checked amazon, cabela's, west marine and all they have is cheapo sets; I'm interested in something really useful; standard/metric wrenches, assorted sockets, etc. Not really wanting a girly Great Neck, Walmart, Home Depot homeowner kit.

Does anyone know if there is such a thing available?

All else fails I'll get one from Sears/Craftsman as I think they exchange tools (even they're getting tight on their policy) if they're rusty?

thanks-Jim
    I'd go for the Craftsman stuff, no matter how you break it they give you another one. I've had one set that my Mom bought me(i was 17 when i got my first lobster boat) and that was back in '72 still using it. I bought another set back in 91 when i bought my bowpicker its still on the boat although i've added/made some special tools/wrenches for it. Check out Harbor Freight for the odd ball stuff you only need once in awhile. I don't have stainless tools just too expensive for a really good one and besides just wipe them down with a oily rag and they will last.

Steve the potbuilder
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net

I'm a fan of craftsman also, but I don't have them on my boat. I've got a cheap tool set that comes in a plastic case with a spot for each tool. I've got both metric and standard in it. I like this set up for two reasons. I know in a second if I have a tool missing before I close the case after use or if I have one missing as soon as I open it. Kid proofed. Second, I like the plastic case, as after I use the tools, I wipe them down, and give them a shot LPS that I get at AIH and everthing stays clean and easy to find what I want instead of digging around. The LPS is much better than WD-40 as it resists oil, dust, dirt, and moisture. I use to use WD-40 until I was introduced to LPS by a friend. I also keep a huge adjustable wrench and spray that also. So far that cheap set of tools under 40 bucks minus the adjustable has lasted me 8 years with no rust yet. I've lookad at west marine for SS tools several years back and I was taken back by the prices. Of course, nothing you buy at WM is cheap, but this IMO was a little too much for me to accept. I don't remember exact price but it was steep.

I agree, Craftsman is the way to go, just remember there is also a Sears brand that does not carry the Craftsman Logo or Warrenty.

Rust should not void warrenty http://www.mysears.com/Tools--7018/t...larified/posts

It seems like you need a set that has every thing from 1/4 to 1/2 Metric and SAE. I carry a large set of Craftsman as I want my tools to work and not break when needed. The only thing I do not like about my craftsman is the case they came in. I spend alot of time picking and sorting sockets.

Quote Originally Posted by captaindd View Post
    It seems like you need a set that has every thing from 1/4 to 1/2 Metric and SAE. I carry a large set of Craftsman as I want my tools to work and not break when needed. The only thing I do not like about my craftsman is the case they came in. I spend alot of time picking and sorting sockets.
    Sounds like we have the same set. The case is a pain.

Quote Originally Posted by captaindd View Post
    The only thing I do not like about my craftsman is the case they came in. I spend alot of time picking and sorting sockets.
    I chucked the case and got a canvas tool bag. I took all the sockets and organized them on "socket bars".

Plastic AMMO looking can from outdoor store , put sockets on bar as said above^^^throw in some needed wrenches , duct tape and bailing wire and yer good to go.

Might get one for tools and one for electrical stuff and parts.

The plastic cans can be put anywhere on the boat and don't hurt ALLOY or fiber glass hulls and they also have a O-ring on the lid to seal.

I used to keep my tools in a plastic "ammo can", but it's not really waterproof, and I found myself having to dry the whole set and the ammo can periodically. Got a Pelican case with about the same capacity for about $60, and have not had to dry tools or even spray them with WD40 for years now. It's a much stronger more durable case, too.
    Richard Cook
    New Moon (Bounty 257)
    "Cruising in a Big Way"

Ditto on craftsman. My neighbor gave me the west marine tool kit last year ( he works for Great neck) , we broke 3 pieces in 1 hr..

Did the deed and yesterday bought a craftsman 204 pc. mechanics set on sale; up to my buddy to organize it, I just wanna be sure it's on the boat when I'm out there! Not having a 7/16 wrench almost crippled us; thank God for the huge rusty visegrip that did the job!

Yep I roll w/ craftsman because the replace my rusty ratchets, (usually w/ a refurbished one). I bought one of those "mechanics" tool kits that has the tri-fo;d plastic case from COstco, I believe its made by Cresent, for like 99 bucks and I built my whole boat w/ it in Bellingham. Its still my main tool box on the boat. The ratchets (1/4 3/8 and 1/2) get a little stiff if I don't hit em w/ WD once in a while. Though I like the Craftsman guarantee, I honestly think the 99 dollar costco tool route is a smart way to go, especially on a recreation boat. Why do you need the taj mahal of tools for your weekend boat?

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    Yep I roll w/ craftsman because the replace my rusty ratchets, (usually w/ a refurbished one). I bought one of those "mechanics" tool kits that has the tri-fo;d plastic case from COstco, I believe its made by Cresent, for like 99 bucks and I built my whole boat w/ it in Bellingham. Its still my main tool box on the boat. The ratchets (1/4 3/8 and 1/2) get a little stiff if I don't hit em w/ WD once in a while. Though I like the Craftsman guarantee, I honestly think the 99 dollar costco tool route is a smart way to go, especially on a recreation boat. Why do you need the taj mahal of tools for your weekend boat?
    I have the same kit on my boat. If something goes awry with my outboards, I should have the tools to fix it, just not the knowledge.

Hey Fullbush, is that a picture of your boat in your avatar?
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Ah crap! Forgot about the tools at Costco! Pretty good deal really but too late now, at least I got the kit from sears for the same price on sale.
    Well fullbush, it went like this:
    blowing 20+ out of the northwest, 8-10' swells, 12 miles from the ramp at one of our buoys fishing when my buddy (not the boatowner/captain) lets a small tuna pull the line into the prop (single diesel cummins w/stern powr outdrive); not good.
    My buddy says "sorry" and Mike (said boatowner/captain) shoots back, "sorry ain't gonna cut it! Get that **** line out of the prop", so me being the "regular" guy on the boat leans out the back and gets line off easy enough with the drive all the way up.
    Oh oh, drive won't go down, tilt/trim pump run but no action, drive stuck ALL the way up, Mike kicks motor into gear to see if that helps but no go, just looks like a jet drive rooster tail.
    So up goes the motor box cover, in I go (kinda) to break loose the hydraulic inlet/outlet pump lines to relieve the pressure (maybe air in the lines?) but alas, no 7/16 wrench so after rummaging around in the rusty (limited) selection of tools, we find a big rusty vise grip that barely got into the tight spot to do the job.
    I get out of the transom and stand/jump up & down on the drive and bingo, down she goes! So on the way back in, I resolve to help future adventures by supplying some tools; I know it's not my boat or responsibility, but I get the priviledge to be a regular on the boat and always get plenty of fish & fun at no personal cost for a few years now.
    On a side note, when I finally stood up after being pretzeled into the motor box and looked at the ocean, oh boy! Thought me & Ralph were going to have a conference, isn't that a wonderful feeling, when you get that weird mouth watering thing???
    Yee ha, Homerdave & family here right now and we're going fishing tomorrow, with a new set of tools available to us!
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    . Though I like the Craftsman guarantee, I honestly think the 99 dollar costco tool route is a smart way to go, especially on a recreation boat. Why do you need the taj mahal of tools for your weekend boat?
    Absolutely agree. Been carrying a set on our Sea Sport for almost 6 years and they never rusted yet. I also use a set of these at home and have never broken a wrench or a rachet yet. Not sure who makes Crescent tools but they are very well made. Last time I checked Costco even reduced the set price to about $90 and added a few more tools to the kit.
    Peyton, Colorado

Tool boxes in ammo cans and those plastic boxes always rust on me due to condensation. I cured that issue by tossing a small Dry-Pack silica moisture absorbing pack in there after every use. I keep a sealed bag of spare packs in my trucks. Yep, this isn't in a salt water environment, but it works for us land lubbers.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim View Post
    Ah crap! Forgot about the tools at Costco! Pretty good deal really but too late now, at least I got the kit from sears for the same price on sale.
    Well fullbush, it went like this:
    blowing 20+ out of the northwest, 8-10' swells, 12 miles from the ramp at one of our buoys fishing when my buddy (not the boatowner/captain) lets a small tuna pull the line into the prop (single diesel cummins w/stern powr outdrive); not good.
    My buddy says "sorry" and Mike (said boatowner/captain) shoots back, "sorry ain't gonna cut it! Get that **** line out of the prop", so me being the "regular" guy on the boat leans out the back and gets line off easy enough with the drive all the way up.
    Oh oh, drive won't go down, tilt/trim pump run but no action, drive stuck ALL the way up, Mike kicks motor into gear to see if that helps but no go, just looks like a jet drive rooster tail.
    So up goes the motor box cover, in I go (kinda) to break loose the hydraulic inlet/outlet pump lines to relieve the pressure (maybe air in the lines?) but alas, no 7/16 wrench so after rummaging around in the rusty (limited) selection of tools, we find a big rusty vise grip that barely got into the tight spot to do the job.
    I get out of the transom and stand/jump up & down on the drive and bingo, down she goes! So on the way back in, I resolve to help future adventures by supplying some tools; I know it's not my boat or responsibility, but I get the priviledge to be a regular on the boat and always get plenty of fish & fun at no personal cost for a few years now.
    On a side note, when I finally stood up after being pretzeled into the motor box and looked at the ocean, oh boy! Thought me & Ralph were going to have a conference, isn't that a wonderful feeling, when you get that weird mouth watering thing???
    Yee ha, Homerdave & family here right now and we're going fishing tomorrow, with a new set of tools available to us!
    Jim
    Sounds like a bad hair day Jim, for sure. You ever get in a pickle like that, tie some buoys or what ever you have on a line and drag it off your bow to bring your bow into the weather so you're not laying sideways in the trough. It makes it a whole bunch easier to do the work you need to do to get underway, plus it slows down your drift.

Thanks for the tip fullbush; will definitely keep that in mind; hopefully won't have to put into practice any time soon.
    Thought the 204 pc. craftsman set for 99.00 was a decent deal, was a closeout.
    Jim

If I remember correctly some one had a full titanium set a while back.......Oh yeah. some chick dropped it while in space.