Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: sheep shape

Default sheep shape

I have started getting into shape for sheep hunting this upcoming season. It will be my first time going and I want to be in the best shape I can, I am pretty excited about it.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Nothing better during this time of the winter than winter hiking on weekends, treadmill and weights during the work week. (assumning you work.) If you start hiking in the dark at 7:30 or 8:00 Am on the weekends you can get in a three hours walk/run and still catch the end of the early NFL playoff game. And if you spend part of your hiking time "off-trail", you might pick up a few (more) moose sheds. Think how easy black bear hunting will be in May. Sheep hunting will still be brutal, even with the year-round conditioning program. The only way to properly prepare for a sheep hunt is to go on a sheel hunt.
    dennis

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaTrueAdventure View Post
    Nothing better during this time of the winter than winter hiking on weekends, treadmill and weights during the work week. (assumning you work.) If you start hiking in the dark at 7:30 or 8:00 Am on the weekends you can get in a three hours walk/run and still catch the end of the early NFL playoff game. And if you spend part of your hiking time "off-trail", you might pick up a few (more) moose sheds. Think how easy black bear hunting will be in May. Sheep hunting will still be brutal, even with the year-round conditioning program. The only way to properly prepare for a sheep hunt is to go on a sheel hunt.
    dennis

Very true Dennis. However I am currently in "fat" winter mode as I am up to 170 lbs right now (15 pounds heavier than I was last sheep season). I don't even attempt to maintain any type of physical conditioning during the holidays, and exercise I would do then would quickly be negated by all the goodies I eat between 3rd weekend of November and the new year.

I'll be kicking it into gear within the week though. Less than 8 months to go

I'm up right now at 5:30am, drinking a cup of coffee before hitting the pool. I did a big mountain hike on Sunday and a strong run Friday. The gym gets used three times a week.

I'm cross training, now in prep for next year. I'm very uncertain what my schedule will allow as the year progresses so I'm hitting it now.

In my mid 30's I've needing more injury/rest cycles to gain optimal fitness. In other words when I go uber hard for a workout I need more rest time than I used to. So I'm starting early again. I started in December of 09 for the 2010 season too and my August goat hunt went very well.

There is no time like the present to get out and stay fit. My Sunday hike was off trail with some technical climbing. I try to work that aspect of the mountain game a few times a month. It's not aerobic but it's an element of fitness that should be worked as you prepare for off trail activities.

Sheep Shape!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    Very true Dennis. However I am currently in "fat" winter mode as I am up to 170 lbs right now (15 pounds heavier than I was last sheep season). I don't even attempt to maintain any type of physical conditioning during the holidays, and exercise I would do then would quickly be negated by all the goodies I eat between 3rd weekend of November and the new year.

I'll be kicking it into gear within the week though. Less than 8 months to go
    yeah me to I had to go move a dresser set this weekend... i think i lost a fww lbs on that one... i told her she was a little early getting me going again..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Never made a sheep hunt but been on plenty mtns in the West hunting and climbing stairs and riding bicycles was the best thing I could find for leg endurance build ups....Same pumping motion needed to climb basically...
    Bighorse - enjoy them 30's my friend - seems like every 10 years is a huge leap in loss of physical abilities...
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Running in the winter is awesome. You burn fat off faster than the Summer.
    Stretching and not overworking knees, and the back are also pretty important.

Sincerely,
    Thomas

You guys will be hard to keep up with this fall .I think I was in my prime when I hit 30. Sunday pulled 5 tree stands and packed them out, put 8 miles on the legs no problem there but by shoulder blades are sore from the heavy loads.I am going to start using the stair climber when I'm on the computer ,I play a lot of online poker,I hope it doesn't hurt my game .

How much does a sheep weigh once it's ready to be packed out?
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

There is plenty of discussion to be had on that subject already SkinnyD. Broken down with cape and horn your looking at adding a good 70-90 pounds on your back.

The great and unpredictable distances required to harvest sheep leads us to get ready for the unknown. It is the ultimate disappointment to haul miles and miles just to find your target down and up 3,oooft and over three miles from your hard earned location.

You need to be prepared to heft said harvest that additional distance as well.

Being ready phsically is essentially impossible if you work a regular city job. You just do your best and gear up mentally for a serious endurance event.

Quote Originally Posted by Bighorse View Post
    Being ready phsically is essentially impossible if you work a regular city job. You just do your best and gear up mentally for a serious endurance event.
    This statement is pretty hard to dispute. Even if you hit the AK club and climb 8K+ vertical feet on the stair climber 4 days a week then lift weights the other 3 you will still be doing that all pretty much at or near sea level and without a pack on. The only real way to get ready for packing loads in the mountains is just to go up and pack loads in the mountains. I have found that I start to feel better on day three of the hunt. By day 6 or 7 I usually feel great and am moving 2-3x as fast as day one. It really helps to not be fat though more than a few chunkers have knocked over a ram!

I am not the most motivated to get in the gym, I loath laboring hard and going no where. I am actually working on trying to put sheep hunting movies on my ipod for extra incentive and don't seem to be having too much trouble getting focused this year in the desert w/ no family around. My plan for when I get home is to put in a bait station up in the mountains about 3,000' or so. I figure that hauling in 50lb bags of dog food and such in the spring will be about the best thing in the world for getting out there and kick starting the season!

I'll start training when I win the DS123

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

I'm slowly working myself in "beef shape"...that is the condition where I'm able to drive to Carrs and buy a couple steaks, then drive back home and throw 'em on the grill. Technically, I'm already there, but I still get a bit winded walking all the way back to the meat case.

This can also apply to being in "pork shape" and/or "chips and salsa shape".

"Feel the burn!"

Backcountry skiing, fellas. Climbing 3,000' three times over the course of a few hours with a pack on your back and an extra 10 pounds of ski, boot, and climbing skin on each foot will get the heart and lungs fit, and you have the added benefit of the ski down. Additionally, the motion is zero impact on the knees.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Backcountry skiing, fellas. Climbing 3,000' three times over the course of a few hours with a pack on your back and an extra 10 pounds of ski, boot, and climbing skin on each foot will get the heart and lungs fit, and you have the added benefit of the ski down. Additionally, the motion is zero impact on the knees.
    Well I do want to do this..... but.... lord know I have been accused of being extravagant when it comes to gear purchases from time to time but MAN ski gear costs a FORTUNE!

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Well I do want to do this..... but.... lord know I have been accused of being extravagant when it comes to gear purchases from time to time but MAN ski gear costs a FORTUNE!
    True that!!! Plus, good snow is getting a little hard to come by right now.

fortunately I work 2 on 2 off, so i have 2 weeks of free time to do real life hiking and such, I know that you can not imitate the actual hunt, but being in the best gym shape possible is a lot better than nothing.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

I'm going to need a llama... or a big-boned girlfriend.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    It doesn't have to. I was a ski gear junkie back when I was an instructor and got great deals, but for a backcountry setup, you don't need brand new, top of the line skis. The right kind of bindings and boots that fit your feet like a glove matter a lot, but you can get skis that are excellent for the backcountry for less than $100 at the West ski swap. If you want to put together a setup next fall, let me know and I'll go to the swaps with you as your personal shopper.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    It doesn't have to. I was a ski gear junkie back when I was an instructor and got great deals, but for a backcountry setup, you don't need brand new, top of the line skis. The right kind of bindings and boots that fit your feet like a glove matter a lot, but you can get skis that are excellent for the backcountry for less than $100 at the West ski swap. If you want to put together a setup next fall, let me know and I'll go to the swaps with you as your personal shopper.
    When is the swap? Keep me posted and give me an idea of what I should budget for it but realize you will then be on the hook for actually showing me how to use the darn things... I can ski but the alpine touring deal is all new. The idea of skis being used to go UP hill is pretty foreign to me, that was what the chairlift or pickup truck was for.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast