Thread: plug fouling

Default plug fouling

rode my sled hard today, it is new to me. near the end of the day, it starting running poor at high rpm. i checked the plugs and one of them was carbon fouled. I put a new set in and it ran good for a bit, then started hesitating again, checked the plugs and the same thing, one plug carbon fouled. Any ideas on what is causing this? I will pull it into the garage tomorrow and check compression. When it started doing this was after coming down a pretty good size mountain and I was idling and braking a lot, could this have something to do with the fouling?
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

What sled is this? (Year, make, model, size, cylinder #, etc?). It could be a lot of things: Jetting, timing, oil pump malfunction, if its mixed gas it could be too rich, wrong plugs, a stuck choke, and so on. Give a little more information and I'm sure you will find some good advice on the problem.

well I figured out the problem. I checked compression, only 60psi on the one side. pulled water cover off and there it is, scored cylinder/piston. I am pretty disgusted about it.

Quote Originally Posted by hoose35 View Post
    well I figured out the problem. I checked compression, only 60psi on the one side. pulled water cover off and there it is, scored cylinder/piston. I am pretty disgusted about it.
    A compression tester can be very cheap when getting a new to you sled. Most people won't be opposed to letting you check it either, unless they have something to hide.

Quote Originally Posted by H20Dogg View Post
    A compression tester can be very cheap when getting a new to you sled. Most people won't be opposed to letting you check it either, unless they have something to hide.
    It had good compression when I bought it, it ran really good on a few short rides and most of the day on the last long ride. But I agree with you, it is wise to check when you buy it.