Thread: Just bought my soon to be 8 year old son his first rifle.

Smile Just bought my soon to be 8 year old son his first rifle.

I got him one of the Thompson Center Hot Shot .22lr It has an 11.5in lop and weighs less than 3lbs. It also has a peep sight and blade up front. Smooth trigger and a match grade barrel. I can't wait to get out and test this gun out. I have 4 boys and the oldest one isn't much into shooting or hunting, so I have had to wait till the second was old enough. I hope he gets lots of use out of it and can pass it down to his kids when he gets older.

I saw a saying on here that I love, "if you don't post pictures, it didn't happen!"

Just kidding, post up some pics of him shooting though, i love showing my liberal mother-in-law pictures of kids with guns!

If he enjoys shooting you did well. If not maybe he'll develope the itch. Only problem is now your gonna have to buy the others their OWN rifle or you'll be a mean dad. GOOD JOB !
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Great job lgall, I have a 4 yr old grandson that's about due for one and I have started looking myself...
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

DSCF0534.jpgI started him off on a Red Ryder type BB gun. It was time for him to get his own gun when he has been bugging me to take him hunting. I think rabbit hunting might be in the near future. If they others are interested they will certainly get there own, really its just another excuse to buy more guns. It worked with the wife this time, so now precedent has been set. Now I have to get a new gun, was thinking a Tikka in .270, you know for when the kids grow up.

Quote Originally Posted by lgall View Post
    I got him one of the Thompson Center Hot Shot .22lr It has an 11.5in lop and weighs less than 3lbs. It also has a peep sight and blade up front. Smooth trigger and a match grade barrel. I can't wait to get out and test this gun out. I have 4 boys and the oldest one isn't much into shooting or hunting, so I have had to wait till the second was old enough. I hope he gets lots of use out of it and can pass it down to his kids when he gets older.

While I don't have a son. I have a new nephew! For his first christmas, he got a henry mini bolt. He was born 10-04-10. So I had the gun's serial number his birth date and initials. I was behind the game so it wasn't from his birth day, but was built the same month! I will have that boy shooting by age 5 or sooner. Had my other nephew shooting the .410 at just barely at 4 years old.

Congrats, he will love that rifle and a great way to start them. Started my eldest at 8 years with a Rossi 22. Not the quality of the TC, but same break action single shot. Not barely a year later, he now shoots everything I own, has racked up a collection of 22s (gifts from friends who's kids have outgrown them), has his own 357 lever action, has layed claim to my Ruger SP101 357 and just loves everything shooting and hunting. His nickname at our Sportsman's club, 'lead dispenser'!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

got one of these for my just 10 year old daughter.. accurate little thing it is... and she loves it.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

First of all way to go dad I'll bet he'll love that gun.

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    I saw a saying on here that I love, "if you don't post pictures, it didn't happen!"

Just kidding, post up some pics of him shooting though, i love showing my liberal mother-in-law pictures of kids with guns!
    Hey limon32 here's one for the liberal mother-in-law

amp2qh.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by kantill View Post
    First of all way to go dad I'll bet he'll love that gun.

Hey limon32 here's one for the liberal mother-in-law

amp2qh.jpg
    HAHA, my MIL hates, absolutely hates guns. I just love it when she comes over, I make a point of taking my kid out shooting, also try my hardest to get Jake on a few kills, so he can bring a couple of bunnies into the kitchen to butcher while the MIL is having some tea!!

She still doesn't get it when we cook and explain that the meal on the table cost us no more than a few cents for butter/oil and spices. Still sees it all as 'senseless killing'

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    got one of these for my just 10 year old daughter.. accurate little thing it is... and she loves it.
    Don't the TC's have buttstocks that you can add spacers too as the shooter grows?
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Great pictures! Hope to replicate it some day! Oh and appreciate the MIL ammo, I offer to take her shooting every time she comes up!

Smokey, yes they come with a 1 inch spacer that will help to increase the lop for when they get older. It should be fine for him till his early teens.

Igall, I share your joy in passing on the shooting/hunting sports to our children. My son's first "gun" was a Daisy Red-Ryder, and his first rifle was a Henry mini-bolt. He's eleven now, and I've added to his firearms collection a Mossberg youth model 505 pump .410 and a Rossi youth combo with 20 gauge and .243 Win. barrels. The .243 wears a cheap Simmons 4X scope, and he can drive tacks with it. He's put meat on the table with his .410 already. I'm looking forward to watching him take his first big game animal. Enjoy the ride my friend!

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Smokey, yes they come with a 1 inch spacer that will help to increase the lop for when they get older. It should be fine for him till his early teens.
    Thanks Igall !

WOW!! That is to cute indeed, I know he thinks he is special.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS