Thread: 22 mag

Default 22 mag

hey i was just wondering if anyone owns or has shot the keltec pmr30.....22 mag pistol with a thirty round clip....just wondering how it shoots and if its worth getting....thanx
    They say its unsafe to own a gun, I say its unsafe to have only one!!!

Don’t know about that gun in particular but 22mag in a handgun is a waste of ammo money since 22lr is just as fast from the short barrel. To see the benefit of 22mag you need about 12” or more of barrel, in my 6” Single Six lr and mag are virtually identical velocity.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

.22 Mag out of 1-5/8" barrel - http://www.naaminis.com/magvel.html - around 900 fps, for 36-40 gr.

.22 LR out of 1-5/8" barrel - http://www.naaminis.com/llrvlnew.html - around 700 fps, for 36-40 gr.
    Found this....

If that is right, the 22 WMR speeds it up over 25%. Taken that, the speed from a 4.3" bbl might be something to raise an eyebrow at...

They are within 20fps of each other in same ammo maker (CCI, 22mag and 22lr Mini-mag) same bullet weight shot from my Single Six over three different chronographs. 22mag from my Winchester and 22lr from my Henry both with 18” 22mag wins big time and is a very good rifle round. Maybe just my gun but other guys have said they found the same thing as I did from handguns . . . as always your (S)mileage may vary.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    as always your (S)mileage may vary.
    I like it!!

I've always found the 357 mag the best step up from the 22rf. I can handload 357 for way less than 22 mag ammo, and have more power.

I always looked at the 22 mag pistol as a way to make more noise and spend more money, while not doing anything a 22rf could.

This is my new gun in waiting. Can't beat a 30 round clip when I get in wolf country. Nothing is worse than getting to shot #8 of your clip and having to decide to stop to get the new clip or hope the last two shots will "be good" with them. 30 rounds opens up LOTS of options.
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

Rumor has it that Davidsons is 26000 units backordered...looking to be a popular piece...

Why stop at 30

Ar-15 pistol with a c-mag, no arguing about not being more powerful than a 22rf.

But does it weigh 19 oz loaded?

2h5snth.jpg

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

The price of 22 Mags. sure went up a LOT recently, if you can even find them. I like the Federal 50 grain loads, but I shoot'em in a RIFLE.

I've always thought a 22 Mag. would make a great survival gun. More powerful than 22 LR, and it would still be easy to pack lots of ammo.

22 Mag, in a handgun just has entirely too much muzzle blast from a short barrel, and whatever gain over LR velocity, it ain't enuff to help, so the gun should be a RIFLE.

IT JUST SO HAPPENS, that I have jist sich a far-arm. It's a Savage BA Take-Down. (You unscrew a knob on the bottom of the forend, and the stock comes right out, and PRESTO, you have it in two pieces, shorter, and easier to pack.

I just need a case for it that will hold them apart, and ammo, and the 4 clips/MAGAZINES, maybe some other special items, and I'll be set to SURVIVE.

Tarmaguns, Spruce Chickens, and wabbits roasting on a stick over the FAR. Life is Good. Watta Picture.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

One idea for the .22 mag pistol, find the heaviest projectile to minimize wasted powder.
    If you find some 50+gr bullets, they will have decreased velocity, and less powder burned externally.
    In that scenario, a .22 magnum would certainly surpass the .22lr in energy in similar pistol(4"+) barrel lengths.
    But, with similar projectile weights, you are just burning up extra powder.
    In a snub nose, I would guess they are nearly identical.

Here are some figures out of 3.5" barrel pistol for both LR and magnum.
    About a 30% increase in velocity. That is substantial, IMHO.

Round/Muzzle velocity
    Rem. 36gr HV Hollowpoint 22LR 678fps
    CCI 32gr Stinger 22LR 637fps
    Win. 40gr Hollowpoint .22WMR 947fps
    CCI 40gr Hollowpoint .22WMR 1023fps

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    Why stop at 30

Ar-15 pistol with a c-mag, no arguing about not being more powerful than a 22rf.

Nice. What upper is that? Details?