Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First load of cabin materials freighted in.

Default First load of cabin materials freighted in.

Picture 001 (Small).jpgPicture 004 (Small).jpg

After 11 years of dreaming of having a remote cabin in the Alaskan wilderness, I began freighting in materials this weekend for my cabin. My neighbor at the cabin site guided me to the property this weekend and we hauled in some cord wood and about 700 lbs of timbers for my foundation on Saturday. I managed to get stuck on Sat night and had to dig out my Skandic the next day.
    It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand.

Quote Originally Posted by billy jack View Post
    Picture 001 (Small).jpgPicture 004 (Small).jpg

After 11 years of dreaming of having a remote cabin in the Alaskan wilderness, I began freighting in materials this weekend for my cabin. My neighbor at the cabin site guided me to the property this weekend and we hauled in some cord wood and about 700 lbs of timbers for my foundation on Saturday. I managed to get stuck on Sat night and had to dig out my Skandic the next day.

Sure does feel great don't it? Good Luck
    JOHN

Man that sounds great, I purchased some land a couple of months ago, I've been to it once, it's killing me to get back up. I'm having issues finding a good way in. I want to start a cabin soon.

Very very cool.....I still miss building remote......It has it challenges but it is your canvas to make as you wish
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

And it begins...Enjoy the journey. When friends ask me "Got your cabin done yet?" I just smile. Are they ever "done"??? Anyways; we go up and stay there, it is a work in progress. It is awesome the first time you have it "dried in" and you can safely sleep there.
    I have such a hard time trying to decide which outdoor activity to do every chance I get!! Living in AK is a mental challenge

Very nice =) I hope everything works out for ya, one day it will be my time .

There is no better feeling than building a cabin in a wilderness setting. It separates you from the everyday person building a home on the road system. Here you are hauling your materials, tools and whatever else and enduring some obstacles, like getting stuck in the snow and getting unstuck. Another good part is, when you have friends helping you, your friendship grows a little bit closer. The best time is the minute you are done, everyone celebrates and then the fun begins. Man, I love this life. Keep us informed. I believe this could turn into an interestng post following your building.
    JOHN

Picture 011 (Small).jpgPicture 013 (Small).jpg

3 hours later, this is the view we first come to letting us know whe have arrived at my lake. On a clear day the Denali views are spectacular, pics due it really no justice.

Picture 020 (Small).jpgPicture 017 (Small).jpg

Foundation timbers at thier final destination and lake views from future cabin location. Can't wait till this summer to put in the foundation, next winter haul remaining materials, following summer erect, winter after that haul in insulation and attempt to finish. I think I got about 5 loads to haul out this winter. 2 loads of pallets next, then 4X12X12' floor beams, then the floor joists, and cement. I expect it to take a good 2 yrs and a yr or 2 after that to have it where I want it, insulated, outfitted etc. It's gonna be a great ride though. I waited 11 years just to buy property, I think I can wait 2 years to have a cabin built. I got a really good extreme cold weather arctic sleeping bag and cold weather gear, I think next load I'm gonna throw up the bivy sack and rough it a night before the next load. I'll see it the wife allows that.

Picture 020 (Small).jpgPicture 017 (Small).jpg

Foundation timbers at thier final destination and lake views from future cabin location. Can't wait till this summer to put in the foundation, next winter haul remaining materials, following summer erect, winter after that haul in insulation and attempt to finish. I think I got about 5 loads to haul out this winter. 2 loads of pallets next, then 4X12X12' floor beams, then the floor joists, and cement. I expect it to take a good 2 yrs and a yr or 2 after that to have it where I want it, insulated, outfitted etc. It's gonna be a great ride though. I waited 11 years just to buy property, I think I can wait 2 years to have a cabin built. I got a really good extreme cold weather arctic sleeping bag and cold weather gear, I think next load I'm gonna throw up the bivy sack and rough it a night before the next load. I'll see it the wife allows that.

Why not do your foundation this summer and then build during the winter?
    JOHN

Are you in the borough?
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

Quote Originally Posted by alaska4ever View Post
    Why not do your foundation this summer and then build during the winter?
    I just got word that I'm gonna have to move to Seward for a year or 2, so I'll be really limited to what I can do. Family is staying in the valley, I'm going solo it looks like. I transfer this summer, so before I do that I'll get in the foundation and on weekends and vacation time I'll come up to the property and work, along with being a dad, husband, employee etc. Work, family, and weather pending, I will do some work next winter after the foundation is in.

I just got word that I'm gonna have to move to Seward for a year or 2, so I'll be really limited to what I can do. Family is staying in the valley, I'm going solo it looks like. I transfer this summer, so before I do that I'll get in the foundation and on weekends and vacation time I'll come up to the property and work, along with being a dad, husband, employee etc. Work, family, and weather pending, I will do some work next winter after the foundation is in.

That's to bad. I know how someone such as yourself would like to get it done right away so you can enjoy it. Not to mention, it drives you nuts thinking about it. Good luck. Keep us up to par on your progress.
    JOHN

DSC00188.jpgDSC00184.jpg

Well a 2 hr trip out to the property turned out to be a 4.5 hr trip one way. One of those days where if something could go wrong, it did. Friends kill switch broke in the off position, 30 min fix. 2 pins for the hitches broke. Wire, rope and ratchet straps fixed this after about 6 delays. 3 over heat issues. 3 sleds stuck, 2 prettty good. Loads shifted and came loose about 8 times. Total failure/destruction of a new Fred Meyers sled hitch/ bars also (purchased last night). I finally strapped a 5' Jet Sled to my Seglin after my friend's Arctic Cat kept having issues/losing parts of it and ended up pulling both of them at once. My other buddy's Otter crapped out and broke all to hell (total loss) it was on it's last led though. I ended up hauling both the broken Jet and Otter in my busted up Seglin. Oh yeah, my vintage Seglin is on it's last leg too, it's got 1 more job to do, just haul 10 more pallets to the property and I'm retiring her, if anyone wants a beater Seglin. Lost some weight along the trail too. All in all we had a safe and great time.

Billy Jack

Billy Jack,

What did you haul out for your foundation? I was think of cross-ties cut in half a layer of 3 & then crisscross the top row? What are the pallets for?? I'm almost in the same boat, I need a utility sled though. I'm about 21 miles from susitna landing, or down oilwell road to the end.. Road out for the first time on my M8.

Lynn

Quote Originally Posted by akflyer View Post
    Billy Jack,

What did you haul out for your foundation? I was think of cross-ties cut in half a layer of 3 & then crisscross the top row? What are the pallets for?? I'm almost in the same boat, I need a utility sled though. I'm about 21 miles from susitna landing, or down oilwell road to the end.. Road out for the first time on my M8.

Lynn
    I didn't haul in any foundation materials this trip, strickly pallets. About the first 20' from the lake is alittle boggy, so in the summer when I get off the float plane it would be nice to have some dry ground to carry supplies to the cabin site. I'm leaving 10 on the bank and 20 at the site. The other 20 will be to stack my floor joists and floor beams on and then tarped. Just trying to get the materials off the ground/some snow. I'll get em tarped good to keep em from warping too bad till I can use em in the summer. 12 6x6x8 treated timbers will be the pillings for the foundation. As far as sleds, yeah ya need a good one. I got an 04 Skandic WT, and my buddy had a 11 Skandic WT, these things are for sure the pickup truck of the bush. My friend tried to haul 5 pallets on a jet sled with his Arctic Cat mountain sled and believe it or not, it didn't work out so hot. I'm about 25 miles from Vera Lake parking lot.

billy jack, One way to help keep your loads secure in on your ratchet straps to attach a bungie cord into the hooks so that when they do loosen up the hook stays in place and does not fall from the attaching point. Another is to retighten the ratchet straps many times just after getting under way. As once the load has started to shift then it is hard to ever get it stablized. Good luck

Have you considered taking in a couple harnesses and hooking up a couple "skeeters" and using them for sky cranes to set the logs?

The secret to hauling lumber for any vehicle is simple. I've hauled millions of pounds of lumber in the last 25 years and the rules for a snowmachine are the same as a semi-truck. First, unitize the material. In our case for truck loads this means banding all the material together with steel banding before it gets loaded on the truck. In the case of snowmachine or ATV loads I will stack the lumber on the sled, then band the material together with several ratchet straps. By unitizing the load you get a 360deg wrap around the bundle that tightens itself around the whole thing, reducing movement within the bundle. Then you secure the load to the vehicle. On semi's we use big nylon straps, on snowmachines and ATV's it means more ratchet straps. These straps simply hold the unitized load in place on the trailer or sled.

You absolutely need a purpose built hauling sled for building materials as you have found out
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    The secret to hauling lumber for any vehicle is simple. I've hauled millions of pounds of lumber in the last 25 years and the rules for a snowmachine are the same as a semi-truck. First, unitize the material. In our case for truck loads this means banding all the material together with steel banding before it gets loaded on the truck. In the case of snowmachine or ATV loads I will stack the lumber on the sled, then band the material together with several ratchet straps. By unitizing the load you get a 360deg wrap around the bundle that tightens itself around the whole thing, reducing movement within the bundle. Then you secure the load to the vehicle. On semi's we use big nylon straps, on snowmachines and ATV's it means more ratchet straps. These straps simply hold the unitized load in place on the trailer or sled.

You absolutely need a purpose built hauling sled for building materials as you have found out
    Yeah, your right. Just got back yesterday from a week in Kodiak, thinkin of going out tomorrow and haulin the rest of the pallets out. But this time, I'm puttin 2 wood screws in each pallet and then using about 6 ratchet straps! But yeah, I do need a freight sled.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast