Thread: Bear taxidermist in Anchorage area

Default Bear taxidermist in Anchorage area

Black bear hunting this spring and looking for a good bear taxidermist in the Anchorage area. Looking to get a rug or a half mount depending on the size/color of the bear. I'd like to sit down with the taxidermist before hand to go over skinning/caping.

I've searched through the archives, but was unable to find any details on this subject. Anyone have any preferences/photos they'd like to share?

I always enjoy reading the posts here...thank you!

Josh

While any taxidermist, anywhere, will talk with you to get you schooled-up on the basics of skinning and caping...I recommend going out to Palmer and dealing with Larry McMurphy at Woodland Taxidermy.
    Either Larry or Robert H. will be able to get you heading in the right direction.
    907 745-1134

dennis

Call Russ Knight at Knight's Taxidermy, its over on Arctic. He'll do a class for you with prior arrangements. He also has laminated cards to buy that shows you how to do it right. He also does excellent work. www.knightstaxidermy.com
    344-5501

I suggest you look around, most will school you up on what you need to do in the field to ensure your trophy makes it out in the best shape possible. If you care to look me up, I can be of assistance also.

Both for information and your taxidermy needs.

I have a dozen or so bears here for you to veiw that are either just finished, in the works or awaiting pickup.

The sci banquet is at the end of Feb, I'll be bringing several life-size bears, rugs, shoulder mounts, and possibly a 3/4 if I get it done in time.

Dahlberg's taxidermy

Default Black bear

chasitys bear 2010.jpg

Here is a bear I finished recently, My daughter shot it this past spring in PWS>. Can't seem to keep the picture quality when I resize the image so small..

Hoytguy

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytguy View Post
    chasitys bear 2010.jpg

... Can't seem to keep the picture quality when I resize the image so small..

Hoytguy
    Open a photobucket account and post the URL with the IMG tags and it will show in your post. Pics are much better quality.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Bob Mardis at Action Anatomy Taxidermy does some great work. He has a few of my bears right now. He's located in Eagle River. If you want to visit his shop you can call him at 360-6218, he will help you out!

Went to Larry's shop last week..had him do some touch up work on some skull mounts....he really does do nice bears...he was a big help with skinning questions. I'll probably use his company in the spring if I'm able to pull a nice bear. Thanks to every one who answered!

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaTrueAdventure View Post
    While any taxidermist, anywhere, will talk with you to get you schooled-up on the basics of skinning and caping...I recommend going out to Palmer and dealing with Larry McMurphy at Woodland Taxidermy.
    Either Larry or Robert H. will be able to get you heading in the right direction.
    907 745-1134

dennis

Quote Originally Posted by jjklf1 View Post
    [...] I'd like to sit down with the taxidermist before hand to go over skinning/caping.
    Hi Josh,

The "Wilderness Taxidermy by Larry Bartlett" DVD may be of interest; it's very complete and outlines, step by step, the process of wilderness taxidermy for a bear, moose, and caribou. There are also a number of hunting clips scattered throughout the DVD. Here's the link - you can buy it here on the forum (it's well worth the money).

AO
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

If you take it to Knight's, it might end up on the Discovery Channel. I'm not sure how they decide which jobs to feature on the show though.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Or you can also use Lone Wolf in Eagle River.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bill S. View Post
    Or you can also use Lone Wolf in Eagle River.
    That bear turned out nice! What did it square?

Just over 6 feet, its sitting on two 4x8 pieces of plywood. It was an interior grizzly about as far from salmon streams as you could get. Tasted great too.