Thread: Newbie Question

Question Newbie Question

I am new to reloading and have started with two popular calibers, 300 Win Mag and 44 Rem Mag. I bought a few boxes of Barnes 225 XPB bullets for my 44 Mag and the load data has an astiric saying to roll crim at the cantelluer (SP). What do they mean exactly by "roll crimp"? Do you need another tool to do this or does the die take care of it for you?

Quote Originally Posted by LItoAK View Post
    I am new to reloading and have started with two popular calibers, 300 Win Mag and 44 Rem Mag. I bought a few boxes of Barnes 225 XPB bullets for my 44 Mag and the load data has an astiric saying to roll crim at the cantelluer (SP). What do they mean exactly by "roll crimp"? Do you need another tool to do this or does the die take care of it for you?
    There are three basic styles of crimping: bayonet, taper & roll. The roll crimp is the most common for ammunition that headspaces on the rim of the cartridge, as the 44 magnum does. If you have a set of reloading dies for the 44 a roll crimp should be machined into the die seating body. All major manufacturers (RCBS, Redding, Lyman, Lee, Hornady, etc.) provide for this step in their seating die body. If you properly adjust the seating die it will provide a roll crimp on your loaded ammo.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Quote Originally Posted by LItoAK View Post
    Do you need another tool to do this or does the die take care of it for you?
    Your bullet seating die will perform the roll crimp. You will have to adjust the bullet seater to match up with the crimp.

Here is a good how to, but this should be in your reloading manuals that came with your gear.

As my buddy explained, seat the bullets to the cannalure with the same die, by haveing the crimp die up and seating attachment low.
    The next step, put a case in the reloader, put it all the way up, and screw the crimp die down until it touches the case, lower the case, and turn 1/2 turn down and tighten nut. From there make small adjustments with the die, until you get the crimp you want on your first bullet.
    Tighten the nut on final adjustment, and it should be good for the rest. Don't know if this will help, I am a newb too. Good luck!