Thread: set up

Default set up

alright i need a decent 6 weight rod and a reel for under $200 i need suggestions since i have not been in the flyfishing game to long and my purist buddies want me to start.

Cabela's sells 3 packages for under 2 bills that look to be right up the beginner's alley.

No telling what the quality is like, but I betcha that the fish don't care. Use it until you can tell the difference between So-So and good, then get another setup.

TFO 9' 6wt signature or pro series. Ross Flyrise. 200$

Done.
    At least one of your purist buddies fishes a nearly identical setup.

Quote Originally Posted by icb12 View Post

Done.
    Lets not forget about his buddies $60.00 worth of line on that Ross reel though. Bringing the grand total to $260.00 (plus tax ;-).

Run out to Sportsman's and peruse the rods, reels, and lines there. They'll have stuff in the price range you're looking for - the local shops probably won't. As long as you don't get a $13.00 reel $20.00 rod, and $15.00 line, you should be fine until you decide if you're serious enough about the sport to invest more.

Quote Originally Posted by G_Smolt View Post
    Cabela's sells 3 packages for under 2 bills that look to be right up the beginner's alley.

No telling what the quality is like, but I betcha that the fish don't care. Use it until you can tell the difference between So-So and good, then get another setup.

Agreed. That is how I got started myself. Look at one of the starter kits with a 4 piece rod, reel, WF line, and rod tube. Big bang for the buck.

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

i have fly fished before just didnt have nice stuff. i had a old school zebco rod with a automatic reel retrieve on it. broke the rod in half on a tail hooked salmon. i want to get something with warrenties (sp?) i dont want a cheap set up and dont need a 1000 dollar set up. figure i go with what ever mr. muzzy thinks i mean he is pretty much professional. 240 bones i can do for a set up i mean i sold books back to the school and got 80 bucks. only 160 to go.

Quote Originally Posted by kwackkillncrew View Post
    alright i need a decent 6 weight rod and a reel for under $200 i need suggestions since i have not been in the flyfishing game to long and my purist buddies want me to start.
    Quote Originally Posted by icb12 View Post

Done.
    Quote Originally Posted by cube01 View Post
    Lets not forget about his buddies $60.00 worth of line on that Ross reel though. Bringing the grand total to $260.00 (plus tax ;-).

Run out to Sportsman's and peruse the rods, reels, and lines there. They'll have stuff in the price range you're looking for - the local shops probably won't. As long as you don't get a $13.00 reel $20.00 rod, and $15.00 line, you should be fine until you decide if you're serious enough about the sport to invest more.

Purist? They call me a purist because I am against Cube using PowerBait...... Not really a big deal
    I am not against the flippin kenai, since I cannot but suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering every other stream... ~Paul O'Neil~/~Wyo2AK~

Orvis Clearwater Reel $49
    TFO Lefty Kreh Signature Series 9' 6wt Rod $109.95
    Then you got $41.05 dollars left to buy line some WF fly line.
    Its definitely do able to have a decent starter set up.

Quote Originally Posted by muzzyman87 View Post
    Purist? They call me a purist because I am against Cube using PowerBait...... Not really a big deal
    I really don't understand why you insist on doing this, especially since you know I hold all the photographic evidence:

The defense rests, your honor.

muzzy muzzy muzzy..... the truth come out about your so called "home made" flies
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Default Start with a conversation ...

or two.

Another approach/suggestion: consider spending a trip or two to a local fly shop to talk things over. Let them know what you're trying to do. Talk gear, where you plan to fish, what species interest you. Get their ideas about where $200 will take you gearwise. In 6-wt gear, you may not need a fancy reel, but a better rod more in sync with your style of fishing can bring hours of pleasure in itself.

If you can visit during the week, when traffic is slower - so much the better.
    Three Rivers in Wasilla has a personable and knowledgable staff, or Worldwide Angler or Mossy's in south Anchorage would be as good. I like these 3 shops and their staff quite a lot.
    Best of luck whatever you decide.

thanks for the help friendly fly fishermen

muzzy muzzy muzzy..... the truth come out about your so called "home made" flies
    To make things worse, those are catch and release only waters. In other words, no bait allowed...
    Bait fisherman are bad enough, but bait fisherman violating fish and game regulations? Well I just don't know what to say about that.

power bait is considered bait? geeze so much for all this purist stuff he talks about

All right... first, go to Madison River Fishing Company's clearance page:
    http://www.mrfc.com/MadisonRiverShop...x?CategoryID=4

Go to fly rods and grab yourself a 9' 4-piece Winston Ascent 6 wt for $120. Killer rod for the money (I just picked up a 3 wt last month). And an unconditional lifetime warranty.

Then go to the clearance fly line and get some WF Cortland for $25 or WF Rio for $20. I put some of the Cortland Dyna-tip on a reel for my 5 wt last year and have really liked it. Although discounted the line is fine - MRFC is good about not pawning off cracked crap (at least with my experience so far). I got some dyna-tip to match my new 3 wt and it looks great.

I love MRFC - great service and fast shipping for under $10. So far you've spent around $150. Pick up any old reel you want with the remaining $50. I don't think the reel is that important with a 6 wt for trout - save your money for when you need to invest in a more robust reel with good drag for salmon (to match your new 8wt - which will be your next step after you get hooked ). The Orvis Clearwater that Frankenfish mentioned would be a fine choice.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

i like to fly fish. got a few silvers on my old school rod and it was awesome. just got another job to help with my addiction to another expensive hobby lol

get an echo rod. I have a 9' 6wt carbon and it is great. go into mossy's fly shop and talk to mike and he will show you the rod.

Any of the suggestions above will be infinitly more classy than my first set-up. K-mart special Ugly Stik 6-7 wt 2 piece with a $10 damaged clearance scientific angler real. Couldn't even tell you about the line. I grabbed two Russian River coho flies off the rack and headed out.

I got to the stream and tied on a chartruese and orange fly and had it dangling in the water at my feet while I tooled around with the rod. And BAM!!! a 14" cuttie grabs the fly. Ended my first day ever of fly fishing with 6 coho's and 2 cutthroat. Took that same rod to the Situk about a year later. Standing shoulder to shoulder with guys using $1000+ set-ups and held my own fishing. Now my main rod is a St. Coix 8wt. and a Ross Cimaron (I wish they still made these). Nothing fancy but nice and functional.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.