Thread: Small Mountain Town

Default Small Mountain Town

I am from Oregon, moved to Minnesota and lived there for 5 years then moved back to Oregon. I find I miss the winters of Minnesota, its too hot in Oregon. I don't want to move back to Minnesota though its too flat, being from the Northwest I like mountains. So I figured I should move to Alaska and get the best of both worlds.

I would like to find a small mountain town to live in. But its proving more difficult then originally thought. The only real job listings I can find is for the Anchorage or Fairbanks areas. Were can someone find a Job and Place to live in a small town in Alaska?

Work on the slope and commute...might work

www.alaskaalliance.com click the jobs tab...check it out...

If you have never been up for a visit, you should consider coming up and checking it out first. Most people doesn't realise how small, a small town in alaska is. Fairbanks is smaller than most small cities in the lower 48, Alaska is smaller than any good sized cities population wise.
    Most of it is going to depend on what kind of job your looking for.

The small town I lived in Minnesota only had a little over 300 people in it. And visiting first is not a option, need to find a job there first.

If you can get by on ten or twelve bucks an hour try Wrangell
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Aikuchi View Post
    The small town I lived in Minnesota only had a little over 300 people in it. And visiting first is not a option, need to find a job there first.
    I think when you say 'small town' in Alaska you need to be thinking of a couple of dozen people...more or less. 300 is pretty big by local standards.

Quote Originally Posted by Aikuchi View Post
    I would like to find a small mountain town to live in. But its proving more difficult then originally thought. The only real job listings I can find is for the Anchorage or Fairbanks areas. Were can someone find a Job and Place to live in a small town in Alaska?
    If you want Alaska, mountains, and "small town" then you need to look at Southeast communities first. These are also ocean communties since they are primarily built on the sides of mountains that terminate in the sea. Wrangle, Ketchican, Sitka, Petersburg are the larger towns. The other communities that are as small as what you are looking for are basically native villages or logging out posts. Juneau has mountains, but is not a small town since it is the captital city.

Your options outside of that are Girdwood, Hope, Cordova, and Seward. Girdwood is the best option for jobs outside of working at fish processing.

There are other small towns but none of them are "mountain" towns. You can try Wa Silly or Palmer for jobs, but they are not small towns, but do sit on the foothills of mountains.

Communities of less than 1000 people are called villages up here and there will be few jobs there for an outsider unless you are friends with a flight service company that opperates out of the village or if you have some kind of state job.

Coldfoot and Wiseman are two small mountain communities. Jobs probably do not exist unless you know someone that owns a business there. Arctic Village is another mountain village but unless you are Gwich'in Indian you won't be liked too much.

Actually coldfoot does hire a few , and some are from outside, The pay probably isn't great, but it comes with room and board.
    I think it is mostly all resteraunt and a maintenance guy or two. There are also some mine jobs around, these are not really small towns, but more like camps.

The working conditions her in Alaska are very tough and there are very little jobs around here. Most of the jobs are research related and governed by the federal government.The weather conditions are so cold that if you get a small cottage and some fire around, it will be enough for living in the area.Overall the life here is not normal you have fight against weather all the time.

Sunrise, Alaska has 12 humans, 639 Black Bears, 811 Brown Bears. Nice place if you like bears better than humans.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Sunrise, Alaska has 12 humans, 639 Black Bears, 811 Brown Bears. Nice place if you like bears better than humans.
    You can classify all 12 as humanoids?

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    You can classify all 12 as humanoids?
    Just Me............

Hey, the other 11 said something different.