Thread: Internal Anodes.....How may check theirs?

Default Internal Anodes.....How may check theirs?

I was doing my annual service on the boat this weekend and removed and cleaned the internal anodes on the motor.
    I dont know how many folks do their own service, but if you run in the salt at all, its worth checking them and cleaning.

I dont know if all outboards have them? I have a 4S Johnson (Suzuki) and have 4 on the motor, the owners handbook does not mention them at all, the shop service manual indicates two, I have found four so far.

I attached some pictures of where they are located on my motor and what they look like before and after cleaning with a wire wheel.

Locatiopns outlined in white, lower left is where one is removed.

ďNothing worth doing is easyĒ
    TR

Does the service manual say to clean them? If so are you using a SS brush?
    Iíve been told there no reason to clean them because it does no good, also if you want to check them to see if they are working you use a ohm meter.

Quote Originally Posted by Rutting Moose View Post
    Does the service manual say to clean them? If so are you using a SS brush?
    Iíve been told there no reason to clean them because it does no good, also if you want to check them to see if they are working you use a ohm meter.
    On my motor cleaning with a wire wheel is recomended, a SS brush is not specified and I see no reason to use stainless as it is using seawater to cool. When they are 2/3 depleted they should be replaced. I dont run in the salt very often. Once a year, maybe 30-40 hours. I have been running this motor for 3 years and the one in the photo had never been cleaned. So you can imagine what one may look like that lives in the salt.

I dont know why someone would tell you not to clean them, bad advice IMO. Maybe they suggested just replacing? which is certainly correct if they are used up, the whole idea is to just expose a fresh surface for the salt to attack.
    TR

A ss brush dose not add contaminants and cause you other problems. If they did not mention it could be they assume anyone who does there own servicing knows what there doing. That not saying you donít know what youíre doing.

That looked you donít like is good, its telling me your anodes are working. You mention you use the motor in fresh water more than salt. They make anodes for fresh water you might look into them also.

A ss brush dose not add contaminants and cause you other problems. If they did not mention it could be they assume anyone who does there own servicing knows what there doing. That not saying you donít know what youíre doing.

That looked you donít like is good, its telling me your anodes are working. You mention you use the motor in fresh water more than salt. They make anodes for fresh water you might look into them also.
    The buildup on the anode needs to be removed so the anode can continue to work, in other words if the anode is covered with a buildup (see photo) than it no longer serves effectively as a "sacrifical anode". This is why maintaining and CLEANING anodes is important and recomended by the manufacturer.

A SS brush not to introduce contaiminants.......really............?
    Its a OB, it draws sea water in for cooling, or lake water or river water or gravel when I have the jet pump on, do you really think the contaiminants on a wire wheel are more harmfull?

There is some diffrences in a internal anode as it is subjected to heat, something a hull mounted anode would not be, my hull mounted anodes appear to be working fine as they are pocked from doing their job but are not caked with a buildup.

Anodes seem simple enough, but I supect their is a lot more to it than I will ever know, I am not a engineer, perhaps you are?

Maybe you should start a thread on anodes and get us all schooled up to make sure we are using the right ones...............!
    TR

Quote Originally Posted by Akgramps View Post
    Anodes seem simple enough, but I supect their is a lot more to it than I will ever know, I am not a engineer, perhaps you are?

Maybe you should start a thread on anodes and get us all schooled up to make sure we are using the right ones...............!

Iím glad you feel Anodes are simple, I have a 3 inch folder with all my information and I found it anything but simple, maybe I am just slow.

No Iím not an engineer, I been in electronics all my life and several years ago I decided to learn about how to prevent corrosion in boats. I spent several months learning how to test boats and what to do to prevent corrosion. The reason I did this was to make some money helping people with there problems. It turns out no body cares, until the boat or motor is rune and after they spend thousands fixing there problem they still donít care.

As far as starting my own thread about anodes you have got to be kidding, just to have some guy with nothing to do make a stupid comment. This forum used to be a place where you could exchange information and people would respect each other, not any more.

Good luck with your boat.

As far as starting my own thread about anodes you have got to be kidding, just to have some guy with nothing to do make a stupid comment.

You got that right..............!
    TR

It's been a long winter hasn't it?

07 Ocean Pro 220 ET HT
    115 Yamaha
    Garmin 740S, GMR 18 HD
    Airmar TM 260-MM

I've never read anywhere that manufacture recommended or heard of anyone cleaning the zincs but I suppose it can't hurt. Each manufacturer is probably different as to when to change them as well but when 50% is gone is usually what's recommended. Mercriuser does warn to only use SS brush when cleaning any aluminum surface on the drive if you need to apply touch up paint. Using a standard wire brush excellerates electrolyses by leaving dissimilar metal particles in the aluminum. Makes sense that you may want to a ss brush the zinc as well but it probably doesn't really matter on the zinc, its sacrificial anyway. Replacing them more often is always better then less. Cheap preventive maintenance.

Quote Originally Posted by Halibutgrove View Post
    I've never read anywhere that manufacture recommended or heard of anyone cleaning the zincs but I suppose it can't hurt. Each manufacturer is probably different as to when to change them as well but when 50% is gone is usually what's recommended. Mercriuser does warn to only use SS brush when cleaning any aluminum surface on the drive if you need to apply touch up paint. Using a standard wire brush excellerates electrolyses by leaving dissimilar metal particles in the aluminum. Makes sense that you may want to a ss brush the zinc as well but it probably doesn't really matter on the zinc, its sacrificial anyway. Replacing them more often is always better then less. Cheap preventive maintenance.
    I was referring specifically to "internal anodes", it seems like the external ones on the hull and motor stay fairly clean.............
    the ones internally are subjected to heat from the motor so tend to bake on a layer, this is covered in the manual.......I was wondering if many boaters even know they exist and are considered a service item. They would be easy to overlook.
    TR

AK Gramps,

Thanks for the tip. I never heard of this before. I will check now. Thanks

Cool

Yes, thanks John. I was out wrenching the other night and was wondering what those weird looking things were there for. They are on my list of things to do. One day at a time, summer is just around the corner!!!!!