Thread: Headed to Alaska!!!

Default Headed to Alaska!!!

Hello all, I am headed to Alaska in September. My name is Mike and I am in the Army and will be stationed at Fort Richardson. I am very excited about this and look forward to the move. I have tried to go over the hunting rules and regs but I am having trouble, so I am hoping to find someone who can break them down for me in the simplest terms. I don't have specific questions just yet. Anyway, I can't wait to meet everyone and look forward to getting some of those seaducks.

Well the big one being you wont be able to hunt as a resident for a year after you get here. Meaning you have to get a non-res military license which will save you some money on license's and tags over just non res but for some hunts you will be required to have a guide. And hate to say it assuming you are going to 4-25 infantry but if you are getting here then you will be here just in time to deploy which will suck but by the time you get back you will be a resident.

Which hunting regs - the duck regs or the big game regs? the duck regs are pretty simple, but there can be some issues with the big game regs depending on which area you want to hunt and what spieces of critter.

If you are hunting waterfowl, the prices are the same. Just buy a small game license for 20 or 25 bucks, and your federal and state ducks stamps. No need to buy a big game license if that is all you are going to be targeting.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Thanks for the replies guys. Yeah I know I am headed up just in time to deploy. I am kinda looking forward to that. It seems that the big game regs are the challenging ones. I appreciate the heads up and can't wait to get up there.

Some more bad news for you. Assuming that you are primarly a duck hunter, arriving mid Sept here will be the middle of the duck season, that opens Sept 1. The interior often has early freeze up and most of the water will be frozen and the ducks out by the end of Sept, somtimes into the first week or so of Oct. Duck hunting lasts a couple weeks longer generally in South Central (Anchorage area) due to the warming influence of the ocean and Cook inlet. You mentioned big game regs, most of the moose hunting in the state opens Aug 25 or Sept 1 for several weeks, but there area a few late season opportunities. If luck you will be here for a couple weeks of hunting season, but just arriving, I imagion your hands will be full getting settled and (assuming you have one) getting your family settled in for our long winters. This past fall we did have a late warm spell where duck hunting in South Central continued into early Nov. Once you are here, enjoy it, it is the most beautiful part of our country, and while much of the wildlife may be inaccesable to you, there is lots of wildlife for you to enjoy. Many military end up living in Alaska the rest of their lives, hope you enjoy our great state. Bud

The only advice I can offer.... after shoes and a jacket, a boat is the most important thing. None of the postcards or Discovery Channel shows tell you that Alaska is one big swamp.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnyD View Post
    The only advice I can offer.... after shoes and a jacket, a boat is the most important thing. None of the postcards or Discovery Channel shows tell you that Alaska is one big swamp.
    I own a 16' mod v aluminum boat with an old 50 hp mercury. I have been debating on bringing it with me or leaving it here with family. i am still undecided but will probably bring it.

Quote Originally Posted by airborneduckhunter View Post
    I own a 16' mod v aluminum boat with an old 50 hp mercury. I have been debating on bringing it with me or leaving it here with family. i am still undecided but will probably bring it.
    I assume that you are running a prop on that rig. We run mostly jets up here, but in the larger rivers you can run a prop as long as you have a couple of spares and tools with you.

For duck hunting nothing beats a good long tail on a flat bottom boat. Since you are in the land of long tails you might want to start looking around for someones used rig and bring that up instead of your fishing boat. You can rent those from MWR and head to Seward. MWR does not rent duck boats though.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    For duck hunting nothing beats a good long tail on a flat bottom boat. Since you are in the land of long tails you might want to start looking around for someones used rig and bring that up instead of your fishing boat. You can rent those from MWR and head to Seward. MWR does not rent duck boats though.
    Good thinking and I'll second that. If good used mud motors/long tails are plentiful and less expensive, I'd at least ship a motor...but a full rig would be the ticket.
    "We're all here cuz we're not all there"

we do good in a canoe...or even a scanoe would be a good choice little shallow drive out board and ur good to go.
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Quote Originally Posted by kwackkillncrew View Post
    we do good in a canoe...or even a scanoe would be a good choice little shallow drive out board and ur good to go.
    I have a pirogue as well that I almost always take duck hunting. It's light and draws very little water. I could probably mount a small trolling motor on it to help if there is alot of wind cause paddling in the wind is tough if it is blowing over 20 mph.

OK, so I finally made the long haul and arrived yesterday with almost everything I own in a U-Haul and my truck. I was only able to bing my pirogue, so I will figure something out. Now to find a house, get settled in and get hunting. Is there anyone in the Anchorage area willing to bring a far from home soldier hunting and show him how it's done up this way? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by airborneduckhunter View Post
    Bring it, you'll find lots of opportunity to use it.... hunting/fishing