Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Planning my first alaska trip to Kenai i need some sugestions

Default Planning my first alaska trip to Kenai i need some sugestions

Hi guys, So i have a friend that lives in Kenai and i am going to go stay with this summer. So i am wanting to plan a fishing trip for a 3 days i am going to be driving from anchorage to kenai i dont have any problems making a detour to somewhere besides kenai if its better fishing hole. I am looking for some advice on what to fish for where and with who. All i know is i would like to catch halibut and a king. I can go any month may-july. Thanks for the help guys!

Do you like river fishing or just Saltwater fishing? The Kenai river has lots of salmon in it.

I would like to do a little of both

Best chance for a king on the kenai would be mid-late july, also the most crowded time to be on the river and would require going with a guide unless you have a friend with a boat. Takes typically quite a few angler-hours to hook into a king, so the guide route is recommended. Crazy amount of boats on the river at that time, but best chance at fish, plus the reds are usually running at that time too, which is why I go during mid july-early august.
    Halibut is not as time sensitive (any time May thru Sept) but we've typically done well around july/aug.

You might plan your timing around fish in the river. Sockeye/Red salmon are fun to fish for and available later in July. Halibut are available the whole time you can be there.

Do you know any good guides in kenai that i should look into? And is 3 days of fishing good or to much-not enugh

Between the Willapa Rivers, United States

Hey Kirkusn,
    Welcome to the Forum.
    You might see where some folk claim it takes the average person 30 or more hours to catch a king on the Kenai with a guide and even longer going solo.Maybe maybe not.Just put in your time and make it happen.
    Fishing for sockeye with a fly pole is more exciting to me than bruising it out with a big king.I've heard it said that if a sockeye got to be 50 lbs you'd never land one.They are a lot of fun and o so tasty.Give it a try .You'll be impressed !!!!!!!!!!!
    There are many,many excellent guides on the Kenai to choose from.A lot of them utilize this forum on a regular basis.I could reccomend several but won't(don't want to piss off friends and neighbors).Hunt em down and do it soon.
    Regardless of who you go with have a great time and take lots of pictures.Best of luck to you.
    Warmly
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkusn View Post
    Do you know any good guides in kenai that i should look into? And is 3 days of fishing good or to much-not enugh
    From what I've heard,you can go right to Homer and Muttley will get you Halibut and Kings on the same trip.

Don't forget the ling cod. The drama is likely free of cost

Quote Originally Posted by Captain T View Post
    From what I've heard,you can go right to Homer and Muttley will get you Halibut and Kings on the same trip.

Hi guys, So i have a friend that lives in Kenai and i am going to go stay with this summer. So i am wanting to plan a fishing trip for a 3 days i am going to be driving from anchorage to kenai i dont have any problems making a detour to somewhere besides kenai if its better fishing hole. I am looking for some advice on what to fish for where and with who. All i know is i would like to catch halibut and a king. I can go any month may-july. Thanks for the help guys!
    You might want to consider a king/halibut combo trip out of Deep Creek, Anchor or Homer. I hate to be disparaging to a great river like the Kenai, but when the kings are in there are so many boats on that river you can almost walk from one side of the river to the other from boat to boat. That's why I only fish for kings in the salt now.

In May and June all of those Kenai, Kasilof, Deep Creek, Ninilchik, etc., kings are making their way up along the coast from Homer, past Anchor and Deep Creek and catching them out in the salt can be quite an experience. And you can combine your king fishing trip with a halibut trip as well. Here's a picture of me and two of my buddies after a day just north of Anchor River:

Nice catch.jpg

This was May 15th last summer. There are a lot less boats out there so you're not fighting any crowds and IMHO just a much more pleasant experience than fishing the Kenai.

Another thing you might want to consider is a drift on the Kasilof. No power boats to contend with and some nice fish in their, too.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Quote Originally Posted by akpolaris View Post
    Don't forget the ling cod. The drama is likely free of cost
    Doing lings, kings and halibut in one day would be a bit of a stretch. One of the best places to fish for kings is between Anchor and Stariski and then you can just go out a mile or two and limit on some nice halibut. To get to ling country is about 90 miles south, so that would be a pretty long day. I'd split it into a two day trip. Do kings and butt one day, and then the next do lings and butt. That way you double your butt take and get them all, not to mention the yelloweye and other rockfish you'll run into out in ling territory.

If I wee you I'd swing through Whittier on my way. You'll find the best ling/halibut fishing in Whittier vs anywhere. Like Muttley said you have to travel a long ways for both in Cooks Inlet. If you're looking for the best bang for your buck, WHittier

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    If I wee you I'd swing through Whittier on my way. You'll find the best ling/halibut fishing in Whittier vs anywhere. Like Muttley said you have to travel a long ways for both in Cooks Inlet. If you're looking for the best bang for your buck, WHittier
    Well, as he said, he wants to catch halibut and kings, so stopping in Whittier wouldn't make much sense. Even if he does want to get a ling or two. I think you're about the only person I've ever known that thinks fishing for lings is better out of Whittier than it is out of either Seward or Homer. If it were there would be dozens of charter operators specializing in ling fishing. It's less than an hour from Anchorage and if it was such a great place to fish for lings I can assure you there it would be well advertised and there would be plenty of choices of who to go out with to get them.

I've caught lings just an hour from port in Homer and I know you can do the same out of Seward. I've never heard of anyone doing that out of Whittier.

If you really enjoy fishing, 3 days is just long enough to figure out that you should have planned for more time. You definetly have alot of options as to where and what to fish for on the pennisula. The Kenia River is although somewhat crowded at times a beautiful river to fish and something I wouldn't miss out on. In 3 days you could definetly do a halibut or halibut/king charter, a king charter on the Kenia and combat fish the Kenia from shore on your own for reds. Ultimately it all depends upon how much you plan to spend, are you looking to put food in the freezer vs catch fish and if you truely only have 3 days. A bit more information would help narrow down your options.

I have caught plenty of fish out of Whittier in my own boat and the scenery there is far better than Homer or Seward but I think I'd stick to the penninsula if I were you.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBighorn View Post
    If you really enjoy fishing, 3 days is just long enough to figure out that you should have planned for more time.

I have caught plenty of fish out of Whittier in my own boat and the scenery there is far better than Homer or Seward but I think I'd stick to the penninsula if I were you.
    I'd have to agree with the 3 day assessment. That's like trying to eat a nice gourmet dinner in half an hour. You can stuff it all in, but savoring every moment and taking it to the absolute limit is far preferable. If you can stretch it at all I would if I were you.

As to the Whittier scenery being "far better" than either Seward of Homer it's a matter of personal preference. I think Seward has the most beautiful scenery within easy boating range of the three, but if you have the time and the gas to expend there are some incredibly beautiful places you can go to out of Whittier after the half hour or more it takes you to get out into where the nice scenery is. And then it depends on whether you want to drive another 2 or 3 hours to see some incredible scenery. Even as a person that loves Homer and K-Bay I will admit it isn't exactly the "fjord" like settings you'll see no more than half an hour out of port, but once you go around Pogi and head south there is some absolutely incredible scenery to be seen. Not to mention I'm sitting here in my living room looking across K-Bay at Grewinwgk Glacier and the mountains on the other side of the bay, and it's kind of hard to beat that. I don't even have to go out in my boat to see that. If you live in Whittier you see a big tower the Army built years ago that has been turned into condos and out from there a long "passage canal" that you have to negotiate before you get into the scenic areas.

If you're into immediate gratification Homer and Seward have it hands down over Whittier. And don't forget the typical weather you get out of Whittier. The majority of the time it sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Muttley, while I think you're right that the fishing is generally better out of Seward and Homer, your repeated contention that if the fishing were very good in Whittier that there would be lots of charters is missing one important fact. Slips to park a boat in Whittier are darn near impossible to come by, while that is not the case in the other ports. Whittier has good enough fishing that it could certainly support more charters, but when a public slip requires more than a 10 year wait and a private slip costs $100,000+, it just doesn't pencil out as a place for charter industry growth. Seward and Homer are excellent fishing destinations, but Whittier is better than the low number of charter operators would indicate.

As for the weather out of Whittier, I've spent an awful lot of my 31 summers on the Sound. The weather is frequently poor in Whittier itself while being absolutely phenomenal once past Pigot Point. The oft-repeated statements about Whittier's poor weather are not based in fact.
    There's a private dock in Whittier with slips for sale???? Passage canal always has higher winds than PWS or Valdez,I listen to the weather forecast every day for 4 months out of the year,

Quote Originally Posted by Captain T View Post
    There's a private dock in Whittier with slips for sale???? Passage canal always has higher winds than PWS or Valdez,I listen to it every day for 4 months out of the year,
    Yep, it's been there for a few years now. From what I hear it got pounded pretty bad by a storm the first year and they had some less-than-pleased owners, but I think they've got it better protected now. It's located next to the cruise ship dock, basically next to the public harbor towards the head of the bay.

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    You might want to consider a king/halibut combo trip out of Deep Creek, Anchor or Homer. I hate to be disparaging to a great river like the Kenai, but when the kings are in there are so many boats on that river you can almost walk from one side of the river to the other from boat to boat. That's why I only fish for kings in the salt now.

In May and June all of those Kenai, Kasilof, Deep Creek, Ninilchik, etc., kings are making their way up along the coast from Homer, past Anchor and Deep Creek and catching them out in the salt can be quite an experience. And you can combine your king fishing trip with a halibut trip as well. Here's a picture of me and two of my buddies after a day just north of Anchor River:

Nice catch.jpg

This was May 15th last summer. There are a lot less boats out there so you're not fighting any crowds and IMHO just a much more pleasant experience than fishing the Kenai.

Another thing you might want to consider is a drift on the Kasilof. No power boats to contend with and some nice fish in their, too.
    Hey muttley I noticed you guys had ugly Stiks in the picture I would fish with you anytime just based on that...Walk softly and carry an Ugly Stik lol
    There's a fine line between fishing....

and standing on the shore like an idiot! ALLEN BRADLEY-TANGLE LAKES ADVOCATE/FANBOY

Another thread jacking in progress.... Not only does the weather, the water, the scenery and the fishing suck out of Whittier but it is outrageously expensive so everyone stay away.........

How about unjacking this thread and keeping on topic for once?

Let me ask you guys this question if you had 1 day in or around kenai what would you do site seeing wise or fish for and where?? i need to plan one more day....................Thanks for all the info guys i have most of my stuff planed out im going in the middle of june and gonna fish the kenai one day for kings and go out of ninilchik for halibut another and at least one day i have another friend that lives on the river in sterling that im gonna catch reds with.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast