Thread: Whats your favorite handgun barrel length, & which type of Holster system do you use?

Default Whats your favorite handgun barrel length, & which type of Holster system do you use?

Im talking your outdoors side-arm, and prefered way of carrying it. Cross-draw? Shoulder Harness? Righ Hip, Left-hip, etc? And what is the barrel length of that gun? Your concealed gun is for another forum!
    Formerly known as one who clings to guns and religion

.454 Casull with a 7-12" barrel. The holster is called "Bandito." It's a bandoleer holster/belt, made of leather. I would prefer a synthetic set instead, but I have sprayed tent/shoe silicone on it to make it water repellent.

The Bandito is shown on the first photo (top left corner). It has three pieces: belt, holster, and ammo holder. The belt is sold to you in an adjustable size to fit under a coat, and also over it. I find the Bandito most comfortable. The holsters are for scoped, and for non-scoped handguns.
    http://www.pistolpackaging.com/

Smile Uncle Mikes

Bandolier holster synthetic, holding my Ruger 7 1/2 .480 with Leupold 2x.

I find it very easy on the body and keeps the Ruger handy.

Thumbs up

colt python .357 4" in a belt mounted straight drop strong side holster.

a cross draw holster when not hunting alone is not a great idea for safety reasons.

Default RIG

4" 44mag. in a crossdraw holster. Keeps me from banging my rifle stock on my pistol and it's much easier to draw sitting on a horse and doesn't jab me in the ribs when riding in a vehicle
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Default favorite handgun

7 1/2 inch Ruger Super BlackHawk. Been carrying it for years in an Uncle Mike's basic belt holster. Never had any trouble drawing and firing it.

10mm. glock in tac. thigh holster; keeps it low and outta the way of everything.

4" for carry, 6-8" for iron sighted revolver hunting, 10-14" for scoped single shots. Carry gun goes in a high ride hip holster which can also be hung from my shoulder strap for easy access if I'm wearing waders. Longer revolvers go in a crossdraw belt holster and anything scoped goes in a shoulder holster.

4 inch barrel. strongside holster, but i may switch to a modified bandolier or a chest rig for wearing with bulky clothing.

Wink

Four inch SW 357, or, Ruger SB .44 4 5/8 th"s in synthetic right hip these get switched to a lower ski pole , outside open , pocket on my packs when traveling. 15 and 16 inches ( scoped ) on my single shots , with a rifle sling slung over my neck when hunting. Bill
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30

DW 44 mag with 6" barrel in an Uncle mikes strong side hip holster for normal walks in the woods & when bow hunting.
    S&W mod 29 with 8&3/8 barrel & red dot sight when on a walk where I may get a chance at black bear, or if I am revolver hunting.
    Contender or Encore handguns for hunting are carried on a sling.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by SoldotnaDave View Post
    ...Your concealed gun is for another forum!
    My "concealed gun* and my outdoors gun are one and the same, and for the same reasons:

* It's small; with a concealed carry weapon, that is nearly requisite, and I've found that in the woods, that's just as important. It's a Ruger SP 101 with a 2.5" barrel. I got real tired of 65-75 oz, holstered hoglegs catching on camp chairs, brush, and getting awry with layers of clothing. An outdoors sidearm should be providing the same protection a concealed carry sidearm does; the ability to fight your way back to your rifle, which you never should have left behind to begin with (but which we all do because of their bulk and weight). It tucks into the waistband of my pants (with a tab similar to the Barami Hip Grip of my own manufacture fitted under a comfortable single piece Hogue rubber grip), thus eliminating the need for a holster, weighs less than 30 oz. loaded, and even fits handily in my pocket. It is always within reach.
    * It's powerful; at .357 Magnum caliber, it provides Marshall and Sanow's #1 manstopping round (125 grain Federal Hi-Power hollowpoint) as a concealed carry sidearm, and in the woods I load it with Winchester 158 grain softpoints. It isn't a "death ray", but that's not it's purpose. My death ray comes in 300 Win Mag, 30-06, or 338 Win Mag, and isn't far away......
    * It's stainless; another prerequisite for Alaskans.
    * It's nearly foolproof; as a double-action revolver with a long trigger pull and no safety to fool with, it's as safe as can be, yet all you need to do is get your hand on it and squeeze the trigger, and it will fire.
    * It's concealable by nature, legal, and always has been; since it's carried inside the pants, and at any position (strong side, crossdraw, small-of-back, wherever), it is protected from the elements and concealed. If wearing lots of heavy clothes, it fits into an outer pocket. Carrying concealed while engaging in outdoors activities has always been legal in Alaska, even before the concealed carry permit social revolution of the 1990's.

I've got lot's of sidearms, but the Ruger SP 101 (bobbed hammer with Hogue grips and custom Barami-style hip grip tab) has become my mate for regular carry in the woods or otherwise.

Default Smith and Wesson 500

I choose the Smith and Wesson Model 500 with 4" barrel. I carry it on a hip holster on dominant side. The bigger you are the more comfortable it will be. Its a heavy gun and I got a thick Desanti belt. They make holsters and can be found google searching Desanti holsters or similar. That belt made a world of difference. Ammo carrier goes on the left hip. Carries 6 extra rounds. I am sending the gun off to Smith and Wesson for a lanyard ring to be installed. That will be nice as I use it for bear protection floating Alaska rivers on fly fishing trips. The Buffalo Bore ammo is incredible in this gun. Like 2,500 ft/lbs. Not as much kick as you would think. Like I said, its a heavy gun. But peace of mind is priceless. Well actaully only $800.

Default Woods gun

S & W 629 Backpacker Spl. 3" Bbl. 44 mag carried in a Galco right side hip holster and I wear suspenders with it.

S & W 500 mag 4" in a nylon chest holster/pouch that's made in Wasilla, I think. It keeps the gun right where I want with out bouncing around. It sits high so wading with chesties isn't a problem. I don't feel the weight of the gun at all with this holster.

S & W 460 with 2 3/4" barrel in a cross-draw Galco holster keeps it out of the way of rifle, flyrod, or other tasks. It replaces my Ruger 45 Colt 4 5/8" barrel BH. Can shoot all 45 rounds. Is quick and only looses 250 to 300 fps over long barrel guns.

This is a good subject. One near and dear to my heart.

I carry any handgun, in a good leather holster strong side only, (My right hip). This is primarily because of safety concerns, muzzle control. With cross draw and shoulder rigs, etc. the muzzle is not always pointed where I want the bullet to go. Oh, I know with the strong side belt, the muzzle may cover the foot from time to time, but mostly it just points to the ground or the floor of the truck or the ground I sit on. And, of course, because of this and John Dean Cooper, I have carried and been trained to carry and trained others to carry strong side belt holstered. The most natural presentation will be developed with the strong side carry.

Barrel length. I have hunted a bunch with handguns. With big revolvers, and single shot, specialty pistol. Contenders, Brown falling blocks, Wichita bolt actions and XP-100's and some big autoloaders. None of which fit any kind of holster well and most with exception of big frame revolvers, were hung from a strap around the neck. (This is only hunting gun with me.) I think these kinds of "specialty pistols" will always have this consideration.

To carry, for everyday use and to always be ready, this is more in line with what I call "Packin' Pistols". I think this is what you mean for this post.

I like short barreled, big bore revolvers. Barrel length is determined by this strong side carry. I can pack a 4" DA revolver very well and it doesn't get in the way and isn't so long that it pokes into the ground or the truck seat. With some revolvers I can carry a bit longer barrel, this also depends on the holster. I have found that the 4 1/2"- 5 1/2" barrel revolvers will fit for most applications, in the truck, on a horse, on the camp stool or on the ground.

I have several revolvers with barrels from 4" to 5 1/2" length. I also have spent many days carrying a 1911 pistol in 45 ACP caliber, same considerations, it fits, I carry, I can get to it and I can use it.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Good points, Murph.

I used to follow much the same route, but three factors forced me to change: Backpacks, rain and dense brush.

When wearing my favrotie external frame pack I found it darned near impossible to draw any handgun from the strong side (high or low hung) because my elbow collided with the frame. Even with my favorite 4", I switch it to crossdraw when I'm lugging that big pack.

Rain and lots of it forced me into the shoulder holsters so I could get the guns under cover. Scope covers weren't enough. Similarly, in dense brush the shoulder strap- whether on my shoulder or dangling with gun in hand- was a sincere liability. With the gun in a shoulder holster under a coat, it's even easier to get around than with a rifle.

My current carry rig is a Ruger SRH 7 1/2" 480, carried in a shoulder rig. Previously I packed a suer blackhawk 4 5/8" 44 mag on my hip.

My idea of a perfect rig is a SRH 480 cut down to 5" and packed in a bianchi cross draw chest holder.

I've come to these conclusions based a variety of experiences that have lead me to know/believe, the 480 is the most powerful round I can accurately shoot in a gun that isn't too heavy, and doesn't have a muzzle break. Carrying a gun on the hip when around water and boats will lead to a gun that is dunked. It can also get in the way of seatbelts, get knocked around when sitting in the woods, and sometimes get snagged up. While I love the shootability of the 7 1/2" revolver, I feel 5" doesn't give up too much sight radius for the trade off of packability and a bit of weight savings. I've shot most models of SA and DA revolvers in a variety of chamberings, and for whatever reason, the SRH fits best in my hands and I can shoot it the most accurately. That said I'd dearly lover a Freedom Arms mdl 83 w/ a 6" octagon barrel in 480.