Thread: 338 rcm

Default 338 rcm

Anyone have experience with a 338 rcm in AK? I just got one of my boys one for spring bear and musk ox. Curious about harvests with this new round and reports of it performing.

I don't have one but to add to your question. I'm real curious what handloaders are getting for velocity. Are they coming anywhere close to the factory stuff?? I'm real interested in this cartridge and the 300 RCM. But I don;t like the idea of buying expensive factory ammo to go shooting. But if reloads don't even come close then what is the point I will buy a box or two of factory stuff. After that I handload.

I LOVE MINE! I just use factory ammo as I do not go through enough to constitute reloading at this time. From my research the handloads are getting close but not quite as good as Hornady.

Saw a 338 RCM kill two moose this fall (not in one shot don't worry ). Anyways, it worked just as well as any other round I have seen used to kill a moose, certainly a capable round no doubt.

The 338 RCM is so similar to the 338/06 in external ballistics that it cannot perform differently from the 338/06 in its terminal ballistics. Therefor those that use it should find it imminently suitable for all manner of AK game. While the design may be rather trendy (short & fat) its performance will be very traditional. I'd use it with total confidence.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.