Thread: Hiking and hunter traps

Ft. Pierce Florida

Default Hiking and hunter traps

I was just curious have any of you hikers come across a trap / snare ? what would be the chances of that ? I figure going in the deep bush away from the commonly used trails this just might happen .

tustumena & kasilof

I've never hiked into a trap or snare, but one time i caught the ski of a snowmachine in an old snare left from years before. It stopped that snowmachine on a dime and I almost went over the handlebars. Thankfully I was going slow ! Nothing marking the snare, no orange flagging. It was a rough trail and not usually used and I was the first one down it that year.

Delta Junction AK

I've only found snares and sets near roads or heavily used trails. Never in the backcountry.

@ Seminary, Dubuque Ia

I have skiied right over traps and never even knew I did it. I only found out because my tracks exposed it and the guy behind me saw where I had gone right over it.
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

You should NOT worry about Traps, You need to worry about the millions of Grizzly bears (one behind every bush) just waiting to eat you.
    "The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count the votes decide everything."

I came across some wolf snares once. They were rusty and a little grown over, so we took them down figuring that whoever set them wasn't coming back. They were in the woods maybe 50' up from a beach that was easily accessible by boat; the only trappers I knew in my area either boated in or used logging roads. I don't worry about them when hiking.
    Tsimshian tribe, wolf clan, the house of Walsk.