Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dead Grizzly in Jan? wolves....?

Default Dead Grizzly in Jan? wolves....?

found a dead grizzly on the side of the denali hwy today, up against a hill in a thick pactch of alders. some hide and head are all thats left. Near as we can figure wolves got ahold of it sometime in mid december. wish we could put the story together. not sure if the wolves dug it outa the den and got it pinned up or how it all transpired. teeth are in great shape, hides in super shape. to be a fly on the wall....needless to say the kill site is now covered in snares...
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Pics of successful catches will be required for full bragging rights!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

January 1'st 1980'something a very large male brown bear was shot in downtown Port Alsworth. It had been roaming about the community for more than a week.

lace em up jake! good luck.

Maybe it got wet in the den, hypothermic, from the warm spells. Froze to death and then ravaged by the wolves, or it was slow moving from mentioned and an easy kill for the wolves?

denalihunter will post some pics of the bear when he gets them. i don't have my camera this week, but i'm sure if we nail something we'll get some pics of any catches.
    picked up a marten in my lynx set in two hours after setting.
    Master guide 212

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

get out there and take care of them Jake... and Give Ms. Jennifer a hug from our family.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

It was killed by a wolverine! O M G!

Great find, Jake.

Taylor

How are populations of moose and caribou there? Have they crashed in the last couple of years forcing the wolves to seek out new food sources?
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Quote Originally Posted by moose-head View Post
    How are populations of moose and caribou there? Have they crashed in the last couple of years forcing the wolves to seek out new food sources?
    Healthy and growing. Though there is certainly room for more growth, both the moose and caribou populations in the area have been growing and the harvest restrictions have been liberalized in one way or another.

I like that, "downtown" Port Alsworth. As opposed to Mid Town Port Alsworth.

I know a very good wolf trapper that swears by bear for bait for catching wolves...

Yup, I saved about 30 pounds of fat of my fall grizz if not more. Going to take that out on the line this weekend!

northway, save those black bear parts too! Takotna puts them in buckets and lets them rot all summer. I also talked to Mark Schlanker the other night about this. He too has found the same results! Two of the best in the business that I know..

Steve,

I will. Been saving a bunch of stuff and trying it out. All good stuff!

well a wolverine died yesterday, much thanks to the grizzly kill...put some traps in and picked up a wolverine the first night.
    gonna have to start saving grizz parts from the season...left 9 to rot last year...gonna have to buy another freezer!!
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    well a wolverine died yesterday, much thanks to the grizzly kill...put some traps in and picked up a wolverine the first night.
    gonna have to start saving grizz parts from the season...left 9 to rot last year...gonna have to buy another freezer!!
    Well done! Did you remember your camera?
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

How big do you think the bear was?

20+ years ago, in early December, a dog musher, driving his team in the hills north of Two Rivers, came into place with a gang of loud ravens in the trees around an area where the snow was heavily beaten down. The dogs were aware of something strange ... heads, ears and tails up, looking around. The musher put on the sled brake to stop the team, and heard/felt a solid "thunk." He dug through the snow under the brake, and found the left front leg of a grizzly bear. From the shoulder to the elbow the leg had been gnawed to the bare, white bone. From the elbow to the claws, it looked to be in original condition.

Earlier that year, in August, a sow grizzly and 2 yearling cubs, had taken over the chicken house of a Two Rivers man, who lived a 100 yards off Chena Hot Springs Road. The bears ate all his chickens and turkeys, and then stayed to clean out his garden. The bears were claiming his homestead as their own. The man asked for assistance from Ak Fish and Game to no avail. The man had enough. The sow was bluff(?) charging his wife when she'd try to leave the house. So, in DLP, he shot all 3 bears, killing the 2 yearlings, but wounding the sow who got away. The sow wasn't seen again.

Our speculation is that the sow, wounded, but mobile, was dying a very lingering death and was very sick. And probably was out of her den. The wolves that ate her either found her dead or sick and vulnerable. And they did what wolves do. They made a meal of her.

The musher brought the leg home and skinned the lower leg out .... tacked up the hide with claws out to dry.

This can be dangerous country, even for grizzly bears.

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    I'll remind you that pics are required for full bragging rights.
    Might have to move this to the trapping forum!!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast