Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Harding Lake: 1/09/2011

Default Harding Lake: 1/09/2011

A nice laker from the depths of Harding.

Quote Originally Posted by gutleap View Post
    A nice laker from the depths of Harding.
    ****! Nice Fish Gutleap! Looks like you have that lake dialed in! Envious for sure!

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

No doubt! Beautiful fish...

You sir found the milkyway of icefishing on Harding lake. I dialed in on 1 cookie cutter out on Quartz today..I need to start fishing Harding and stop with the bows for now.

Nice fish for sure! Great job!
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Amazing fish! Great job!

Awesome fish!

How did he taste? Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by woundedknee View Post
    How did he taste? Good job!
    I always release fish at Harding in hopes that someone else or perhaps even I might catch them again. Have never eaten a lake trout out of Harding.

You should have eaten that one. If that's how you hold a fish you intend to release it's just going to end up burbot food.
    Henry Bowman for President

Quote Originally Posted by deerhunter View Post
    You should have eaten that one. If that's how you hold a fish you intend to release it's just going to end up burbot food.
    Deerhunter, you are one of the reasons people don't post some pics one here. I don't know the OP, but I'm pretty sure he would have kept that fish had it been bleeding, but I don't see that in his picture. How do you know it ended up as burbot food? Please elaborate.

Fish On!

[QUOTE=bigcox;871839]Deerhunter, you are one of the reasons people don't post some pics one here. I don't know the OP, but I'm pretty sure he would have kept that fish had it been bleeding, but I don't see that in his picture. How do you know it ended up as burbot food? Please elaborate.

Maybe if people didn't post "bad" pics others wouldn't comment on them. I was just helping to educate the man.

Whats even worse than the bad pics is the uneducated people posting about a legit comment. That laker is toast! If you knew anything about laker mortality, which by your post you know nothing, you would know that their mortality rate is low! When the already low mortality rated fish is then pulled out for picture time so people can brag about their big success, the rate drops some more. To top off the probably already dead fish you stick your hands in the gills, you have sealed the death warrant. Blood does not indicate death or damage. Is that enough elaboration for you? If not please go talk to a fish biologist or do some research.

[QUOTE=woundedknee;871865]
    Quote Originally Posted by bigcox View Post
    Deerhunter, you are one of the reasons people don't post some pics one here. I don't know the OP, but I'm pretty sure he would have kept that fish had it been bleeding, but I don't see that in his picture. How do you know it ended up as burbot food? Please elaborate.

Maybe if people didn't post "bad" pics others wouldn't comment on them. I was just helping to educate the man.

Whats even worse than the bad pics is the uneducated people posting about a legit comment. That laker is toast! If you knew anything about laker mortality, which by your post you know nothing, you would know that their mortality rate is low! When the already low mortality rated fish is then pulled out for picture time so people can brag about their big success, the rate drops some more. To top off the probably already dead fish you stick your hands in the gills, you have sealed the death warrant. Blood does not indicate death or damage. Is that enough elaboration for you? If not please go talk to a fish biologist or do some research.
    Your right. I don't know jack about catching lakers, having never caught one myself. Please educate me with your legit research, I would love to see your research on this subject. Like I said in my post, I don't see it bleeding, I'm sure he revived the fish enough to swim off, what gives? Prove yourself brokenknee, lets see the research behind your logic.

Fish On!

Some burbot food for woundedknee...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XADHOd7jD8

Guess this was another uneducated man holding a laker right?

Fish On!

Did that jackass really post on here using two different accounts? dont hate on the forum members new guy. If you dont have something useful to contribute dont post, especially if your MO is to be a little turd and criticize peoples posts. Thanks for the pics gutleap, great fish. I hope to catch one like that next week! Also that fish has a different color pattern than the lakers ive seen lately....interesting.

Release Lake Trout

Some burbot food for woundedknee...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XADHOd7jD8

Guess this was another uneducated man holding a laker right?

Fish On!
    Geez looked like a catch and handling and a good release in the video. Did not see anything wrong with the fish handling or care of the fish in the photo either. What am I missing. I really dont think that holding a fish by the gill plate will in and of its self damage or kill the fish. Dont think hold a fish out of water for a few for photos wont make it fish food either. Maybe more prone to accidently sticking a finger in a gill when you go under the gill plate, from my experience of handling and releasing fish, you can hold fish this way without creating burbot food. Also just like in the video getting fish back to life before release.

Thinking there may be a new deputy in town?

Attachment 44479

OH ya....I aint no biologist, but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn Express once...haha

"Lightn up Francis"
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Quote Originally Posted by gutleap View Post
    I always release fish at Harding in hopes that someone else or perhaps even I might catch them again. Have never eaten a lake trout out of Harding.
    That's exactly why I practice catch & release up here too...if everyone kept those lunkers at Quartz then I might has well fish Chena Lakes because there are plenty of dinkers for everyone. Again great looking fish! I'm sure he swam away beautifully...

Sapper in the Skies

Nice fish and I agree really interesting colors!

That is probably one of the best videos I have ever seen on fishing. No BS or anything, that fellow was truly excited much the same as I imagine I would have been under the circumstances. I have caught a lot of lakers over the years but that one was really huge and I have never caught one that would compare to that fish.

Great looking fish! I hope to hook into one of those beasts one day. I am yet to catch a laker of any size. Soon I hope....

[QUOTE=woundedknee;871865]

I apologize for not handling a fish in a manner that you approve. You raise some interesting points in your comments. You challenged us to go talk to a fish biologist and or do some research and so I did. I found a study done in 2005 by a couple of biologists, Brendan Scanlon and Brian Taras from fish and game titled, "An investigation of hooking mortality of lake trout angled through ice." This study was to determine if the long-term survival of lake trout angled and released through the ice was significantly lower then natural survival. They conducted this study on Sevenmile Lake. They recorded the location of hook placement, incidence of bleeding, time out of the water. They attempted to handle fish similar to how the angling public may handle lake trout when ice fishing. The fish were exposed to air and wind and laid on snow for up to 2 minutes. In their conclusions, their analysis showed no evidence of an affect on recovery rates of lure-caught fish that were bleeding and/or were subjected to lengthy exposure to ambient air compared to natural mortality rates.
    Here is a link to the study http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/FedAidPDFs/fds05-43.pdf.
    The fish I hold in my photo was not exposed to air for longer than 60 seconds. I did not touch his gills at any time. I held him through the gill plate and his mouth. The fish swam away very nicely after release and I am highly confident it survived.
    If you have specific information that refutes the above referenced study, please let us know so that we may read it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast