Thread: Some newbie questions about McGrath and 40 Mile

Default Some newbie questions about McGrath and 40 Mile

Considering a fly out drop off unguided hunt out of McGrath for moose (Willow Air). Some general questions:
    Considering float hunt or a cabin hunt with a boat, either better than the other?
    Trying to determine hunt success statistics, but on the AF&W site they are using an RM(?) number but I know the area as GMU 19. Can't find on the AF&W site the definition or map for these other numbers. Any help would be appreciated.
    Likely to see/hunt black bear there?
    I see lots of recommendations to contact the area biologist. How do I find that person and there phone number?
    My second choice is using 40 mile air out of Tok, any thoughts on the better success rate? I don't have specific locations yet as I haven't looked at those specifics yet.

Thanks for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by mbcijim View Post
    Considering a fly out drop off unguided hunt out of McGrath for moose (Willow Air). Some general questions:
    Considering float hunt or a cabin hunt with a boat, either better than the other?
    Trying to determine hunt success statistics, but on the AF&W site they are using an RM(?) number but I know the area as GMU 19. Can't find on the AF&W site the definition or map for these other numbers. Any help would be appreciated.
    Likely to see/hunt black bear there?
    I see lots of recommendations to contact the area biologist. How do I find that person and there phone number?
    My second choice is using 40 mile air out of Tok, any thoughts on the better success rate? I don't have specific locations yet as I haven't looked at those specifics yet.

Thanks for your help!
    Alaska has general harvest, registration, and drawing hunts. The RM hunts are registration hunts with the "m" identifying the species. If you go to this http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/index....opportunities you can look up all moose hunts in the state by GMU. I don't know much about that GMU, but I can tell you that there is always a chance you will see black bear. As for the local biologist, find out which ADF&G office is closest and call it.

Of your 2 choices I would go with 40 mile air. Just do a general search to see which company has a better review.
    my .02 worth