Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dog in the boat while fishing?

Default Dog in the boat while fishing?

Well this thread may result in some funny or sad tales, but I've thought about taking my small dog out in the boat when we are fishing, but I am probably right to be concerned about hooks, spiny rockfish, thumping halibut, and maybe stealing shrimp out of the bucket...then again think of having the bloody rear deck licked nice and clean!

We have a 26' boat with a cabin, and I think the dog would be fine with the boat ride and she doesn't steal lunch from the plate or any of that stuff..

Really though, do any of you take your dog out fishing with you and what has been your experience?

I take my dog with me everytime the family goes. When the boat is being loaded and I leave the door to the truck open, he makes sure to jump in and hide in the back seat. If it is not his day to go, he sulks back to the house acting pissed off. I mostly fish in PWS, so there are good places to take him to the beach. Seward is a whole different matter. I wish that he would sometimes use the deck to pee, but he even refuses to do that. That forces me to get the tender down, which is somewhat a PITA. When the tender hits the water, he is ready to go. I never thought that I would see the day when a dog would have me doing things like this! But he is a great part of the family expierence now. Guess I am getting soft as I age.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ron I have had Chessie's on my boats since 1997. My current boat dog D.D. started on August 3 of this year at the age of 9 weeks 4 days. It was easy to potty train her to use the back deck as she was to small at the time to jump of the back deck. Some of the things you have to watch out for is your dog get finned by the rock fish and ling cod. The posion on the fins can be fatal. You have to watch out for hooks, and some dogs can get real sea sick. Be careful of the dogs jumping in the water when seals or killer whale are in the area. My dog as a pup wanted to attack the halibut and the ling cod that where floping on the back deck. I think she wanted to protect me.

always have my dog with me on the boat, she's a lab/aussie and though she got seasick once or twice on really rough water when she was a tiny pup, she got over it.
    she hasn't shown much interest in fish or fishing, but she likes seals and birds.
    mostly she sleeps.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

I'm not opposed to taking a dog fishing, just so happens our present dog doesn't listen well and can be somewhat hyper. With her size and the size of my boat we generally leave her at camp.

Our previous dog however we took regularly. She was by far the best behaved dog I have ever had. On an outting at the lake we were loading up to go for a boat ride. I didn't realize until it was too late that I had left a hook with a glob of eggs next to the console on the floor. Of course Tipper found it and decided it was a snack. Unfortunately it had a hook and some line attached and the line was tangled in the control harness so when she ate it she got a gomakatsu in the tongue and couldn't go anywhere with it. Quick as she yelped I knew what happened so I tossed a friend my leatherman and held her so she couldn't pull more and tear her tongue any worse. A quick clip of the shank and out the hook came. Good thing there were 2 of us as she wanted to get away as fast as she could when that hook sank in. Of course I felt like crap but she healed up quick.

I took my jack russel out w/ me once and it was miserable. She left little white hairs in the bunk and in the air filters on the engines believe it or not. The worst thing was when I brought the net in, she would bark at the fish and run out and step in the jelly fish that was on deck, then when her paws stung she would lick them I felt so sorry for her, never again!

Dogs are for duck hunting, not fishing.

I take mine all the time.....they love being out. I have even taught them to use the rear deck when neccessary. I use to do it with 3 Rottweilers now it's 3 Dobermans. We even spend days out in PWS and we use the Zodiac to transport to shore. When they see that thing come off the top deck it's a war to see who gets in 1st. I can't find the picture my wife took years ago with my Rotts hanging over the bow in the Zod running on step.

Absolutely, Ron! My dogs have always been included as part of the family. They are probably treated better than our kids, too. We are down to just one dog now. Porter comes along for all the family boat trips and even comes along when it is just the boys. Here she is snuggled up:

She is always game for a shore party. Bring the pup along.

Pete
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Well, I guess it was a good question, lots of great experiences shared here on both sides of yea or nay! Hadn't even though of the potty question, back deck would be fine, good thing mine is a female, I can just see the reactions if a dog dog lifted his leg on a nice reel...the hook thing seems the most dangerous to me, especially if completely swallowed, what could you do then? Spiny rockfish could be really bad too, I don't know if they could be deadly, but sure painful...often my dog will just sniff something but if it's wriggling around, who knows? Probably only do it once, she only went after 1 porcupine in her 7 years, many dogs do it over and over...she's a sweetheart and as big a part of the family as many of you have expressed, so maybe we'll try it this year since we are driving up, I wouldn't make her go thru a commercial airline ride for anything! Bad enough we have to do it most years

Us too. One weekend the my wife and I took our three large dogs on a 22ft Ocean Pro. Now we have a bigger boat so its more comfortable. Its always fun to bring them along. Our 120lb Rottweiler loves it but my lab is getting old and her hips give her trouble when the seas get rolling. Like Spoiled One said, they love a shore party.

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    always have my dog with me on the boat, she's a lab/aussie and though she got seasick once or twice on really rough water when she was a tiny pup, she got over it.
    she hasn't shown much interest in fish or fishing, but she likes seals and birds.
    mostly she sleeps.
    Homerdave, you didn't bring that great looking dog with us during the king derby. Would have been fun.

Well, this might be a hijack of my own thread, but what about bears on shore? Ya know, it's not that people are ignorant it's just that they know so many things that aren't true! This sure must apply to bears, because I have seen so many conflicting opinions, spoken and written with certainty...

We'd have our dog with us a lot on shore as we have a remote cabin, with both black and brown bears in good supply. I've heard that a dog can actually attract a bear, then run home with the bear hot behind it...but who knows....do any of you? I'm not particularly afraid of bears, more like respectful and careful, but I'd hate to add to the possibility of having to take a bear out because I had a dog with me on shore...on the other hand, dogs sure do smell and hear better and are a good alert system to avoid a bear confrontation!
    Last edited by Cap'n Ron; 01-09-2011 at 20:55. Reason: DSOF

Quote Originally Posted by patrickL View Post
    Homerdave, you didn't bring that great looking dog with us during the king derby. Would have been fun.
    i got her just after the derby last year.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Ron,
    Make sure you get a life jacket for her, it makes it easier to pull them into the boat if they end up in the drink. Mine always gets excited when a fish surfaces & has been known to run off the tubes at otters & puffins on occasion. She has keyed into the words I've got one & goes running over to whoever lets it slip.

Ron,
    As you can tell we are talking a much smaller boat so we always camp on shore. We have never had an issue with a bear. I don't know about your dog but more than likely it won't be out of your sight even when walking to or from the cabin / tent. We have had an occasional fillet or two stolen by eagles, mainly when packing up & when we are to far away to stop them. Our dog has chased them many a times, as I don't think she understands how big they are. But in your case you might want to keep on eye on the dog depending on how small she is.

My dog, Penny goes with me EVERY time I go out. In a few hundred times out on the water I have never had any problems with her and is undoubtedly one of the biggest attractions on M float. I think just about everyone on that float knows her name and is loved by all. She is an absolute pleasure to have on board with me and actually owns the boat, and thus the name of my boat, the Pretty Penny (and also, thus, the name of my business Muttley Crew Fishing Adventures since she's my muttley crew. You'll notice she is a major part of my logo). She has been known to steal food from clients, but so far hasn't figured out how to open beer bottles, so generally it hasn't been a nuisance. Haven't met a single person yet that hasn't absolutely loved having her on the boat.

Penny pointing the way.jpgPenny and me.jpg
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    i got her just after the derby last year.
    That's right. I forgot you came up north to get her. She's a good lookin pup.

I definitely enjoy having my dog on board. They almost seem to get more pleasure out of it than I do.

Depends on the dog

The problem is getting him off the bench so people can sit down. He basically plops down and won't budge and til we anchor up to go to shore.

Quote Originally Posted by AKMarmot View Post
    Ron,
    Make sure you get a life jacket for her, it makes it easier to pull them into the boat if they end up in the drink. Mine always gets excited when a fish surfaces & has been known to run off the tubes at otters & puffins on occasion. She has keyed into the words I've got one & goes running over to whoever lets it slip.
    Definitely a great point. The lifejacket, or even a vest strapped on that has a nice, easy to get ahold of, loop on the back can make a huge difference. Unless you have a boat that is very low to the water, it will be really difficult to get the dog back into the boat without something solid to hang on to. You might not have the option to just let them swim over to the swim deck depending on the conditions or situation, so don't count on that. Having a nice loop right there on their back that you can get the boat hook into can make all the difference.

A side benefit is that the lifejackets will usually keep the dog warm when it is a rainy day. It doubles as a great place to warm up your own hands if you are cold (and your dog just thinks they are getting pet.... )

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast