Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AR-15 for coyote hunting

Default AR-15 for coyote hunting

I looking for advice/recommendations as to a good AR-15 for primarily coyote hunting during the winters. I like the looks of the Rock River Arms Predator Pursuit Rifle. I would like to use 55 grain bullets, (probably try VMAX's as long as they group well, otherwise some other 55 grain variant). My main concern with the Predator Pursuit is that is comes with a 1:8 twist. I know this faster twist is nice for heavier bullets, but wonder how accurate it would be with 55 grain bullets. Would 1:8 be fine or would I be better of with 1:9? Also, I would also like to use the AR-15 combo at the range shooting longer distances so great accuracy would obviously be nice. Thanks for any help.

With my rock river predator upper i can cover the 55 gr fmj holes with a dime. If thats not good enough get some bergers in 77 gr.

Besure to get the "Winter" trigger guard.

I build AR's for fun and profit.

Most any of the better quality barrels will do the job....it's the barrel, not the gun since most all milspec parts are pretty much the same. If you want long range, get a 1 in 8 so you can use heavier than 70 gr, otherwise the 1 in 9 is fine to about 75 gr. Douglas, Shilen and Kreiger are all good barrels and you must use a free float handguard to get the benefit from the barrel quality. Rifle length gas system will give you a smoother recoil impulse and will shoot a bit better than the shorter carbine or midlength tubes.

I would suggest you get a .223 chamber and not a 5.56. DPMS makes a nice 20" stainless barrel made for National Match shooting and it will shoot sub MOA to 400 yrds or so with 55 gr A Max. I built a 204 Ruger for myself using a Shilen barrel and it is also a keeper...well under MOA to 300 yrds or so and then the wind seems to take over and I get lateral drift.

Get a good trigger or at least a light spring kit and you will shoot better as well. I use an A2 stock which are more rigid and contribute to better shooting than the adjustable stocks. If you use a tripod, make sure it is mounted to the free float handguard and not the barrel and finish it off with solid mounts and good glass and you will have a shooting iron to be proud of.

I went with a 1 in 8 BCM SS mid weight 16" barrel. I feel it is a good compromise of length, accuracy, and weight. Not too long that it is hard to manuver, accuracy better than most can shoot in the field, and light enough to carry all day without dragging you down.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowrider View Post

Most any of the better quality barrels will do the job....it's the barrel, not the gun since most all milspec parts are pretty much the same. If you want long range, get a 1 in 8 so you can use heavier than 70 gr, otherwise the 1 in 9 is fine to about 75 gr. Douglas, Shilen and Kreiger are all good barrels and you must use a free float handguard to get the benefit from the barrel quality. Rifle length gas system will give you a smoother recoil impulse and will shoot a bit better than the shorter carbine or midlength tubes.

I would suggest you get a .223 chamber and not a 5.56. DPMS makes a nice 20" stainless barrel made for National Match shooting and it will shoot sub MOA to 400 yrds or so with 55 gr A Max. I built a 204 Ruger for myself using a Shilen barrel and it is also a keeper...well under MOA to 300 yrds or so and then the wind seems to take over and I get lateral drift.

Get a good trigger or at least a light spring kit and you will shoot better as well. I use an A2 stock which are more rigid and contribute to better shooting than the adjustable stocks. If you use a tripod, make sure it is mounted to the free float handguard and not the barrel and finish it off with solid mounts and good glass and you will have a shooting iron to be proud of.
    I finally met somebody on the internet that knows what he is talking about when it comes to AR's. This is about the best advice one can be given when it comes to these platforms. I would love to shoot some prairie dogs with you in Wyoming and discuss firearms even further.

Thanks for the advice.

Lowrider, are the RRA barrels manufactured by one of the three barrel makers you recommended?

I was originally planning on getting the rifle in .223 but with RRA it comes in their .223 Wylde.

Can anyone tell me what range of bullet weights a 1:9 twist is best suited for and the same for a 1:8 twist? I will most likely be shooting something in 55 grain, as this should be more than enough for coyotes. Which if any would be the best of the two twists for such?

Is there a better option than the RRA Predator Pursuit Rifle for roughly the same price?
    Thanks for the help.

You can go clear up to 1 in 12 twist and still shoot 55 grain effectively. 1 in 8 or 9 really makes no noticeable difference with that light of a bullet. Step up to 60+ grains and 12 drops out. I have never shot to the point where 8 is better then 9, so I can't tell you what the magic bullet weight is there, but I'm guessing it is pretty dang heavy for a .22 caliber gun.

Quote Originally Posted by ak hunter View Post
    Is there a better option than the RRA Predator Pursuit Rifle for roughly the same price?
    Thanks for the help.
    If you went with the 6.8 SPC you would have less wind drift. The ability to use on larger game up to say 400 pounds. I agree that the A2 buttstock will give the best accuracy, I am willing to trade some of that accuracy for the adjustable stock as in the winter with 3" of clothing the A2 is to long for me to mount.

I just bought another RRA with the Operator Buttstock, and I like the drop-down buttpad.
    You might also consider if you will want to mount a light or laser or both in one.

My RRA Predator Pursuit rifle shoots most bullet wieghts well but really likes the heavier 75 grainers. This is what it did one day at Birchwood at 300 yards. (5 shots). It is a pig though, 10 lbs 6 oz with 20 round pmag.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Donner View Post
    My RRA Predator Pursuit rifle shoots most bullet wieghts well but really likes the heavier 75 grainers. This is what it did one day at Birchwood at 300 yards. (5 shots)
    Very nice, that is impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by ak hunter View Post
    Thanks for the advice.

Lowrider, are the RRA barrels manufactured by one of the three barrel makers you recommended?

I was originally planning on getting the rifle in .223 but with RRA it comes in their .223 Wylde.

Can anyone tell me what range of bullet weights a 1:9 twist is best suited for and the same for a 1:8 twist? I will most likely be shooting something in 55 grain, as this should be more than enough for coyotes. Which if any would be the best of the two twists for such?

Thanks for the help.
    AK Hunter,

You're welcome....hope it helped a bit.

Rock River is a good company and I'm not sure whose barrels they use. A lot of companies use high volume barrel makers or "2nds" from the better barrel companies. The 2nds can be better than a lot of other company's barrels. The standard barrels on most production guns are hit and miss (pun intended). The only way to know for sure what you are getting barrel wise it to buy it from a known barrel maker.

To shoot minute of yote means a 4" or 5"...maybe 6" for sure kill zone so if you are shooting at 200 yds a 2 MOA gun is fine. At 400 yds, a 1.5 MOA gun is fine. Beyond 400 yds there is a lot of luck involved in most field shots when you are not sure of the range or what the wind is doing along the way to the target....especially if the critter is moving.

An 8" or 9" twist will handle most any bullet you might use for coyotes. The Wylde chamber is just fine for .223 Rem ammo. If you reload you can tailor the loads for your gun and game being shot. That is half the fun. You don't need a heavy for caliber bullet for coyotes. My .204's kill very well with a 32 gr. when you put them in the right spot.

RRA Predator Pursuit Rifle will do what you want, but then a $600 AR might as well if you are shooting at or under 200 yds.

Another option is a $500 Tikka T3 or Howa in .243 and good quality glass on top. Same money spent as the RRA for just the gun. Both of those guns are tack drivers out of the box.

Good luck with your search and get out there kick coyote butt!!

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by c_matt92 View Post
    I finally met somebody on the internet that knows what he is talking about when it comes to AR's. This is about the best advice one can be given when it comes to these platforms. I would love to shoot some prairie dogs with you in Wyoming and discuss firearms even further.
    C Matt,

Thanks for the compliment!!! I've been fooling with AR's since Uncle Sam gave me my first one in 1967 and have picked up a few things along the way.

I'd be happy to join you on a PD hunt. I am moving to Idaho when my wife retires in a little over a year, so we have plent of time to plan it. I was interested in WY since it is a great place and no income tax!! Wife say winters are too hard there. I was in Jackson Hole in Aug last year and it has exploded since my last time there....tourists everywhere!!!

My web site is a bit out of date, but you can get an idea what I do anyway: corsicacoatings.com. Always happy to talk guns.

Thanks again!!

Joe

A good buddy of mine has one of these, it's probably what I'd get if I wasn't going to build one:

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...layErrorView_Y

I'd also probably look at the Stag model 6 or 7.

www.stagarms.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lowrider View Post

So what would a rig like that run?
    Semper Fi and God Bless

I gotta admit, I am sitting here grinning ear to ear reading this. I mean if I wanted to hunt coyotes in AK and build or buy a rifle especially for it I would certainly gather all the info I could from folks in Maryland and Wyoming....

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    So what would a rig like that run?
    $800 to $1,200 depending upon what options you put on the rifle. If you build them you get what you want and not what the masses seem to want. You really need to define what you want to use the gun for before you figure out what you want. If you want to shoot long range accurately it usually costs more money. If you just want to burn Wolf at the range then most anything will do.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I gotta admit, I am sitting here grinning ear to ear reading this. I mean if I wanted to hunt coyotes in AK and build or buy a rifle especially for it I would certainly gather all the info I could from folks in Maryland and Wyoming....
    I'm glad this is providing some comic relief!!

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Last I knew, my gun didn't know where I was. I have traveled all over shooting lots of stuff, and as far as AR's go, I am pretty sure I know what works and what is gimmicks, even if we are 3000 miles apart. I have nothing to add to the questions about where to hunt or how to hunt, so I thought I would share what little bit of advice I could when I could on this board.

Something else to think about. RRA will guarantee their varmint rifles to shoot into 3/4 moa at 100 yards. Mine wouldn't at first. I called them up, they were very nice, said send it in. Maybe 2 weeks later it was back with a new sweet shooting barrel. What guarantee do you have by putting parts together. As a side note the other bullets that shot really good were the sierra 52 gr hpbt and 53 gr hp matchkings, also the 68 gr hornady hpbt match bullets.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast