Thread: Any decent backcountry snow?

Default Any decent backcountry snow?

I just returned from three weeks of sun, sand, and water, and am now itching to make some turns in the backcountry. I was thrilled a couple of weeks ago when my brother relayed that we were getting hammered with snow back home, but then my hopes were dashed when I was told that it warmed to 40 and was raining. My yard this morning looks more like mid-April than early January. So, what's the story? Did any area in Southcentral escape the recent meltdown? Is there decent snow above a certain elevation in Turnagain, Hatcher Pass, or up by Gunsight? My skis are looking lonely and forlorn.

Avy danger was very high for a bit. There are a couple of layers through Turnagain that are weak with natural slides occurring frequently. I don't know about Hatcher's but I would err on the side of caution.

I would definately do a Reutsch if heading out.

In other words, exercise caution!
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Always. Thanks for the word of caution, though. I've nearly lost one friend who was very fortunate to be dug out, and a good friend of my wife lost her partner in a slide last year. I've got too much to live for to risk it for a few turns, so yes, I always dig pits and do my best to travel safely. If it's risky, I'm content to be a flatlander until conditions improve. Even if it's not risky, if it's as icy as my backyard appears to be, perhaps it's best to wait for a new system to move through.

The snow is like concrete. Most of South/Centeral had 8 days of +40* and rain.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Always. Thanks for the word of caution, though. I've nearly lost one friend who was very fortunate to be dug out, and a good friend of my wife lost her partner in a slide last year. I've got too much to live for to risk it for a few turns, so yes, I always dig pits and do my best to travel safely. If it's risky, I'm content to be a flatlander until conditions improve. Even if it's not risky, if it's as icy as my backyard appears to be, perhaps it's best to wait for a new system to move through.
    Hey Brian, I Think you may be able so find a little softer snow up by Eureka. I went up there Saturday Ptarmigan hunting. THey don't have a lot of snow but it appears they didn't get hit by the rain that we did here. Everything seemed real soft.

Very good news, Russ - thanks for sharing! I was thinking about heading that way anyhow, so bringing skis and a gun to do some turns and ptarmigan might be a great option. If I go, I'll let you know how it turns out.

Well a week too late perhaps but Turnagain Pass had 8 inchs of powder fall after the meltdown. If you pick your terrain there has been lots of fun to be nabbed. There hasn't been much snow out of this latest storm, so watch for a layer of surface hoar. Green light terrain is your ticket to fun these days.

Not too late at all. I'm looking to get out on Saturday, and it sounds like Turnagain might be the ticket. I'll watch the weather and the avy forecast closely, but hopefully things will stay soft and relatively stable.