Thread: Cylinder Honing

Default Cylinder Honing

Can someone reccomend a good place to have a couple of cylinders honed in Anchorage, or close by.

This is on an 05 Polaris 800. BTW does anyone know if these were coated or not, they don't look like it, but I'm no expert.

Thanks

I know for sure you cylinders are nicasil coated. As for where to get them honed, just about any sled or cycle shop should have the right size hone, it only takes a few minutes. If I lived in Anc. I would do it for you.

OK, maybe it's time I learned to do this myself. Anyone know where they sell a hone for this. My manual talks like it's not that hard to do, so I think I'll give it a try.

Worst case I buy a couple of new cylinders. Which when I needed cylinders honed last time, I found it was the same price to buy remanufactured cylinders from Snowmobile Salvage, than to have one of the dealerships hone my old ones.

Any tips on doing this.

I bought mine from snap-on, it was like $30. You will need to know your bore diameter in millimeters to make the purchase. I believe there are instructions on the package as well if your not sure.

Thanks, Kenai, However I may be out of luck. As I was cleaning these up in preperation, I noticed I small chip in the coating.

I'm not familiar with these type cylinders, is this chip cause to trash the cylinder, or is it OK since it is close to the bottom and very small.

I posted this question on another forum, if someone happens to see it. I'm just trying to get a couple of opinions on the cylinder.
    Attached Images Attached Images

It's kind of hard to see. What happened to it, did you stick a piston? If that's a chip, my preference would be to replace it. If there is aluminum in the cylinder, it can be washed out with acid, but I can't remember the name of the correct stuff right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickb1b View Post
    Thanks, Kenai, However I may be out of luck. As I was cleaning these up in preperation, I noticed I small chip in the coating.

I'm not familiar with these type cylinders, is this chip cause to trash the cylinder, or is it OK since it is close to the bottom and very small.

I posted this question on another forum, if someone happens to see it. I'm just trying to get a couple of opinions on the cylinder.

Replace....it's done. Your rings will continue to strip away the coating from there.

There is a place down 48 way that does an exchange but the name escapes me.

millenium technologies and eckhoffs custom machining do cylinder exchanges... its usually 200 a jug and 100 dollar core for exchange, but cool thing is call em up and they'll send em out same day u call em usually and they are just as good as brand new and way cheaper, i've gone with millenium in the past, but i wouldn't hesitate to call echoffs either... you can try darbys in fairbanks also for exchanges but i wouldn't bother with them, they have really poor customer service, they barely answer their phones and require you to send your cylinders in first before they send you good ones...

Call Darby performance in Fairbanks they do cylinder head swap for 275.00 most places in the lower 48 charge 375.00 once they get your old head the refund you a 100.00. Darby waits until they get your old jug, once they have it they will call and the transaction. They are very fast and have most if all parts on hand.

You cannot hone with cheap ball-hones. You need to use a parallel stone hone like the AMMCO 3950.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Oh yes you can, but you are correct on the "CHEAP" part. The snap-on ball hones are of a high quality, and will do a thorough job on a cylinder in about 1 minute. I have about 35 yrs. invested in the business and never ruined a cylinder yet. My parallel stones(which are cheap) wont hardly scratch a bore. To each their own though, I still stand behind "replace it" if your not sure, it's less expensive in the long run.

Well guys it's all back together. Had the cylinder honed at Snowmobile Salvage in Anchorage. $15 as opposed to the $100 the dealer wanted. They also had an exchange for the other bad one. The exchange was a little more expensive than mail order but the timing was right.

Thanks Guys

Congrats, have fun.