Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question on the cities

Default Question on the cities

Hiyas, my question is, if no one minds taking a moment =) What are some of the pros/cons of living in Juneau compared to Anchorage and Fairbanks ? This is just to satisfy my own curiosity......Thanks !

Big plus to Juneau no roads there. Big minus to Juneau, no roads there. Weather a little milder in JNU than ANC and way more so than FAI
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

It's a VERY subjective question. Depends on what your personal tastes are. You're comparing apples, oranges and pears here. Geography, topography, weather, demographic, cost of living, all different.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Anchorage is like any city in the lower 48 with a million or two people liveing in itJMHO
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Juneau would be fun but often wet: http://gonw.about.com/library/climate/bljunclimate.htm

Rhododendrons grow in Juneau, but stuggle to survive in Anchorage and will not survive in Fairbanks. Cedars grow in Juneau, but do not survive in Anchorage or Fairbanks.

You can deer hunt in Juneau. You can not deer hunt in Anchorage or Fairbanks.

To get in or to leave Juneau you need wings or a boat. You can also walk out into Canada, but you might not survive that. To get into or leave Anchorage or Fairbanks you just need wheels, which can be pretty cheap if you use your thumb.

Rain gear is more useful in Juneau than it is in Fairbanks. It can come in handy in Anchorage.

When there are five cruise ships at the dock in Juneau, going down town to have a beer is out of the question. You don't really notice the influx of tourists in Anchorage or Fairbanks as much as you do in Juneau.

In Anchorage and Fairbanks you will encounter many more motor homes with out of state plates than you will see in Juneau, which is due to the cost of getting a motor home on the ferry.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    Rhododendrons grow in Juneau, but stuggle to survive in Anchorage and will not survive in Fairbanks. Cedars grow in Juneau, but do not survive in Anchorage or Fairbanks.

You can deer hunt in Juneau. You can not deer hunt in Anchorage or Fairbanks.

To get in or to leave Juneau you need wings or a boat. You can also walk out into Canada, but you might not survive that. To get into or leave Anchorage or Fairbanks you just need wheels, which can be pretty cheap if you use your thumb.

Rain gear is more useful in Juneau than it is in Fairbanks. It can come in handy in Anchorage.

When there are five cruise ships at the dock in Juneau, going down town to have a beer is out of the question. You don't really notice the influx of tourists in Anchorage or Fairbanks as much as you do in Juneau.

In Anchorage and Fairbanks you will encounter many more motor homes with out of state plates than you will see in Juneau, which is due to the cost of getting a motor home on the ferry.
    Thanks for the replys =) The part you said " You can also walk out into Canada, but you might not survive that " what do you mean by that ?

Quote Originally Posted by Rumbarr View Post
    Hiyas, my question is, if no one minds taking a moment =) What are some of the pros/cons of living in Juneau compared to Anchorage and Fairbanks ? This is just to satisfy my own curiosity......Thanks !

lots of car hatin hippys in juneau, its horrible there. unless you wear sandels and smoke dope that is.
    Semper Fi!

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Anchorage is like any city in the lower 48 with a million or two people liveing in itJMHO
    actually its allot different, its like a smaller city in the lower 48, very few skyscrapers, and about 8 miles across the city with not allot of stores your used to in the lower 48, more half *****ed stores.
    Semper Fi!

Quote Originally Posted by greythorn3 View Post
    lots of car hatin hippys in juneau, its horrible there. unless you wear sandels and smoke dope that is.
    Lol, are you for real ? I had like the complete opposite image, dunno why though . I came across this link , interesting read http://www.elisetomlinson.com/alaska.html

Lol, are you for real ? I had like the complete opposite image, dunno why though . I came across this link , interesting read http://www.elisetomlinson.com/alaska.html

ya they really hate offroad vehicles and stuff there. they just want to sit around drink fancy coffee and smoke hash!
    Semper Fi!

Yeah, but at least in J-town I can be out hunting within 15 minutes of the house, and not have to drive 3+ hours just to combat-fish. And its pretty hard to offroad when in a rainforest

Not saying there aren't a bunch of over-the-top greenie-weenies here, but there are plenty of normal people here too. IMO, ANC is a big, dirty, ugly city full of a-holes and crime...

I do have a love/hate relationship with this town, but there is no way in hell I'd move to ANC/Mat-su. Biggest downside of living here is the high cost of living, IMO. The cruise ships get annoying too.
    Nice Marmot.

The part you said " You can also walk out into Canada, but you might not survive that " what do you mean by that ?
    From town you head east up a mountain face through a trailess rain forest, cross several glaciers, treck through the Canadian coastal ranges for several days, before you come to a road. Along the way you will have to climb up and down cliffs, cross several rivers, cross open tundra bogs in the valley floors, and deal with both coastal brown bears and interior grizzlies. There will also be the occassional "mad" trapper hiding in the timber.

Come to Fairbanks....A 15 minute boat/snowmobile/plane ride and you will be in the middle of nowhere. Plenty of fish and 4 leggers around. The river can be busy at times but for the most part it isn't as congested as Anchorage's rivers.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    From town you head east up a mountain face through a trailess rain forest, cross several glaciers, treck through the Canadian coastal ranges for several days, before you come to a road. Along the way you will have to climb up and down cliffs, cross several rivers, cross open tundra bogs in the valley floors, and deal with both coastal brown bears and interior grizzlies. There will also be the occassional "mad" trapper hiding in the timber.

sounds like that oregon trail game they had on the apple iie
    Semper Fi!

Quote Originally Posted by greythorn3 View Post
    ya they really hate offroad vehicles and stuff there. they just want to sit around drink fancy coffee...
    Sounds pretty close to me, hahaha!

Skookumchuck is right about the high cost of living. The McDowell Group did a study last year comparing the cost of living in the major Alaskan cities and when compared to Anchorage (100%), Juneau had 11% higher cost of living. The problem is that the state wages are exactly the same for Anchorage and Juneau. Fairbanks has a 4% higher cost of living than Anchorage but they have a cost of living increase. The problem is that over the years Juneau's state jobs have seen a stagnation in their pay rates as a way to keep the capitol here, but what it's done is mess up the population demographics so the local kids leave for college never come back. Those kids who stay can't find a job that pays enough if they don't have an advanced degree.

As for the cruise ships, well, they pay the 5% sales tax, not to mention a head tax so they don't get off scott-free. The problem I'd like to see addressed through some sort of free market mechanism is getting the jewelry stores and other seasonal places back in the hands of local owners. To have stores ship up workers for the summer and then leave, turning the downtown into a ghost town during the winter is very bad.

Erich

Nice info so far, thanks everyone . Hopefully I will be up in september but not sure where exactly I'm gonna go . Probably just wind up in Anchorage and get my feet wet there, I heard in Fairbanks the air is like living in a cigar shop ( couldve been messing with me hehe ) and Juneau I would head there if I knew I had like maybe 10-12 days to kill . Biggest concern is seeing what jobs would be available, I'll be going back to school and would like to get a degree in something I could make a living off in AK.

Nice info so far, thanks everyone . Hopefully I will be up in september but not sure where exactly I'm gonna go . Probably just wind up in Anchorage and get my feet wet there, I heard in Fairbanks the air is like living in a cigar shop ( couldve been messing with me hehe ) and Juneau I would head there if I knew I had like maybe 10-12 days to kill . Biggest concern is seeing what jobs would be available, I'll be going back to school and would like to get a degree in something I could make a living off in AK.

walmarts hiring! or you got the slope if you actually wanna pay your bills.
    Semper Fi!

There are always positions in the medical field, I believe a nursing degree is a 2 year program. It's good to have a profression that is in need, and isn't limited in where you can live.

As far as pro's/con's of various cities, it depends on what you are interested in most for activities.

Junea is the best place if you want to do alot of ocean fishing, travel to the lower 48 is shorter, and the winter days have more light. Downside is cost of living, travel within AK is more expensive, wetter weather, and it's a smaller town.

Anchorage is the biggest city in the state, heck if you draw a 30m radius circle out from Anchorage you have over 1/2 the population of the state there, but compared to the lower 48, it is not a big city. It's centrally located, so you have the greatest ease of traveling around the state from road or air. The downside is you will be competing with 1/2 the states population when going fishing and hunting, and with few exceptions, you won't be hunting and fishing close to town. For sporting and cultural activities, it's a tough location to beat, skiing x-c and downhill, hiking, climbing, etc is right inside the city or within 15-30 minute drive. The broadest possibilities for employment are in Anchorage.

Fairbanks is a nice town, smaller than anchorage so more feeling of community, they have a real college there, and if you want the sense of real alaska, aka cold dark winters, can't be beat. Better location for hunting close by, freshwater fishing is good (though the salmon have swum quite a distance by the time they get there), you'll be making a long drive for saltwater fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    There are always positions in the medical field, I believe a nursing degree is a 2 year program. It's good to have a profression that is in need, and isn't limited in where you can live.

As far as pro's/con's of various cities, it depends on what you are interested in most for activities.

Junea is the best place if you want to do alot of ocean fishing, travel to the lower 48 is shorter, and the winter days have more light. Downside is cost of living, travel within AK is more expensive, wetter weather, and it's a smaller town.

Anchorage is the biggest city in the state, heck if you draw a 30m radius circle out from Anchorage you have over 1/2 the population of the state there, but compared to the lower 48, it is not a big city. It's centrally located, so you have the greatest ease of traveling around the state from road or air. The downside is you will be competing with 1/2 the states population when going fishing and hunting, and with few exceptions, you won't be hunting and fishing close to town. For sporting and cultural activities, it's a tough location to beat, skiing x-c and downhill, hiking, climbing, etc is right inside the city or within 15-30 minute drive. The broadest possibilities for employment are in Anchorage.

Fairbanks is a nice town, smaller than anchorage so more feeling of community, they have a real college there, and if you want the sense of real alaska, aka cold dark winters, can't be beat. Better location for hunting close by, freshwater fishing is good (though the salmon have swum quite a distance by the time they get there), you'll be making a long drive for saltwater fishing.
    Thanks Paul =)

I was thinking about something in the medical field or information technology, nurse I'm not to sure about though, sometimes you gotta have a strong stomach . Juneau and areas like Sitka , Ketchikan , hold the most interest for me . I enjoy overcast rainy conditions and freshwater fishing and of course canoeing with a small tight community is another big plus.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast