Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Whats your favorite halibut jig?

Default Whats your favorite halibut jig?

What is your favorite halibut jig? Butterfly jig. Lead head with a curly tail? Color?

Boneyard baits red and white grub with a 12oz leadhead. 8 is that much better and I never fish more than a 16oz leadhead. I don't like 24oz jigs, I think it is too much.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

15" swimshad...counting the length of the jighead

I`m becoming fond of running a custom leader with a J hook or circle hook up top and a grub style jig at the bottom for weight...worked great last year.

As for colors...I like the Kalin tails that are white w/blue hue or red hue followed by the glow/red or glow/blue or white/red Boneyards.

For butterflies...My go-to is the P-Line 6oz. lazer minnow...gets just about everything and is fast to the bottom.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

I don't have a single favorite jig, I used pretty much everything from 3 to 24 oz in leadheads with grubs and shads of various colors, butterfly jigs, crippled herring and diamond jigs. Sometimes I'll add a little bit of herring or gulp for scent. Somedays they'll take anything you present them, other days they'll be picky. Once you think you've figured out the hot jig and color, next time out they'll want something different.

While I prefer fishing 6-8 oz jigs, depth and current dictate what's needed to get down. And ideally you'd need a couple different rods that are sized for the various sized jigs, a stiff rod won't give the proper action to a light jig, and a light rod will flex like crazy when using a jig that is too heavy for it. A 200-250 gm rod is a good all around rod, but I've used medium wt salmon rods on the light end, and pool cue like tuna sticks on the heavy end. One thing I have learned is that the heavy stiff rods and big reels wear you out, so get the lightest rod/reel and use the lightest possible jig, you can fish them all day.

I'll vote for darts, both because they work for halibut and because we pick up an awful lot of king salmon on them while halibut fishing. Plenty good enough for me!

Is a dart jig basically going to work the same as a diamond jig or any of the other metal jigs?

And what color jig do you like best?

That's a good comparison, though darts tend to be a lot more erratic than diamonds as you lower the rod tip. Butterflies work too, but for some reason not as well as darts, at least for me. Probably my lack of experience with butterflies. For deeper water white or black/white are the usual choices, but in less than about 100 feet green/white or blue/white get the nod.

I'm friends with two charter boat skippers who troll for kings only as a last resort. They're masters at finding the concentrations of fish in the first place, but they are both known for limiting their boats using only darts when everyone else it trolling.

I have done the best with either a white or glow in the dark grub. 12-16oz lead. I have caught them on every jig I have though, just not as consistant as the white or glowin dark.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

The point wilson darts, crippled herring, diamond jigs, butterfly jigs all have similar actions, but some flutter better than others and sometimes one works better than others. As far as colors, I like a white or silver body with a blue or green back, but have used other colors with success.

Been using this one for years in AK. It's 12" long and glow in the dark. For added illumination I add glow sticks. Works for Lings too!!

Attachment 44378

I'll hold on to my Bible & my Guns, you can keep the change!!!

That link doesn't work Tight Lines. Try again, because I want to see what you have.

Another jig question:

Do you use a heavy leader to protect against sharp teeth or do you tie directly to your main line?
    And what weight dart jig do you use?

I usually use 3-4 feet of 80# P-line with a swivel top and bottom. I've never seen much tooth wear on it, but find it really handy for handling fish alongside the boat. I use darts from 1 oz to 9 oz, depending on the depth and current. No treble hooks because I'm prone to clanging them on bottom if it's rocky and possible. The noise often really ups my fish catch.

Another classic is the Gibbs Mudraker, white/red and white/blue. I like to add a little herring strapped on with a rubberband. Just keep bouncing it off the bottom. You can also add chem lights or flashing lights for added attraction.

Savage Gear cutbait herring
    Attached Images Attached Images

I like a 12oz jig head, white power grub, tail removed, tipped with salmon belly. I've done really well on bigger halibut with that combo.

Quote Originally Posted by AK2AZ View Post
    15" swimshad...counting the length of the jighead

I`m becoming fond of running a custom leader with a J hook or circle hook up top and a grub style jig at the bottom for weight...worked great last year.

As for colors...I like the Kalin tails that are white w/blue hue or red hue followed by the glow/red or glow/blue or white/red Boneyards.

For butterflies...My go-to is the P-Line 6oz. lazer minnow...gets just about everything and is fast to the bottom.
    Have you caught many big hali on that really long one? Seems like the smaller halibut would tear off the swim shad rather quickly.

Hey AkCapt-

I pulled up the Savage site and it's so flash laden, I can't get past the first page on my dialup connection. Fifteen minutes and the first page of their catalog (30 pages in total) was only loaded 43%. If you have any connection with them, tell them to cool the flash or they can kiss off any rural orders.

As I mentioned, I like a variety. I also use 80# mono leader with a corkscrew swivel on the jig end, but I have them setup as windon leaders.

My neighbor said the yellow shad was a killer when he went fishing with his buddy

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Hey AkCapt-

I pulled up the Savage site and it's so flash laden, I can't get past the first page on my dialup connection. Fifteen minutes and the first page of their catalog (30 pages in total) was only loaded 43%. If you have any connection with them, tell them to cool the flash or they can kiss off any rural orders.
    I don't think they sell to the US yet. The company is in Norway. I have a couple dozen I ordered after testing the prototype - 120 pounder on the very first drop...... With the shipping they are expensive - like 20 dollars for the lead head and two tails. I save them for special occasions. The finish on the lures are amazing. They took the coloring and set it about halfway into the plastic and used an inch or so of clear over the top of the colors. The leadhead is the best I have seen. If the Boneyard Baits guy would make them in the US, i bet you would see them on every fishing boat in Alaska.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast