Thread: guide question

Default guide question

This has probably been covered before. If a non resident has to hire a guide for certain hunts, then why doesn't the guide have to be a resident? Or am I wrong, does the guide for these certain hunts have to be a resident?
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

only because its illegal to only allow resident guiding only
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

And also illegal for the same Non-Res Guide to hunt without a Guide for the same "certain species" for himself, even though he just guided someone else to the same animal.... Is it clear now? (grin)

Quote Originally Posted by SuperCub View Post
    And also illegal for the same Non-Res Guide to hunt without a Guide for the same "certain species" for himself that he just guided someone else to.... Is it clear now? (grin)
    I understand that, but other than financial reasons, and maybe that is the only reason, I just dont see the point in a non resident hunter hiring a non resident guide.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Your signature line pretty much answers your own question, in a non-res' eyes..

In reality..... Most of them probably don't even know that the guide they hired is a non-Res !

It is called doing your homework.
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by SuperCub View Post
    And also illegal for the same Non-Res Guide to hunt without a Guide for the same "certain species" for himself, even though he just guided someone else to the same animal.... Is it clear now? (grin)
    Is it illegal? I have never seen anything in writing that says it is. I have been told that registered guides do guide themselves sometimes. Id be interested to get the official rule on this. If the purpose of a guide is to provide a safe hunt for a mature male animal, then a non-resident RG should be able to guide himself.

Nope. A non-resident guide has to get another guide to hunt guide required species. I think the non-resident guide licensing thing is an interstate commerce problem. Just like you can't block other professionally licensed folks (like doctors) from practicing in another state if they pass that state's requirements. The state can, however, set up whatever rules they want in regards to allowing non-residents to hunt. To entirely different areas of law.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Nope. A non-resident guide has to get another guide to hunt guide required species. I think the non-resident guide licensing thing is an interstate commerce problem. Just like you can't block other professionally licensed folks (like doctors) from practicing in another state if they pass that state's requirements. The state can, however, set up whatever rules they want in regards to allowing non-residents to hunt. To entirely different areas of law.
    I believe you nailed it.

I personally would require Alaskan guide if I did it.

We could talk about some of the bad non-res guides who come up, rip off clients, then shoot any legal animal they can, haul butt back to the lower 48 before the snow flies without paying a cent to the local economy. But that'll just start a pissin match so lets not.

BUT I'll just say I have a friend who is a non-res guide and he's awesome. Great person and great operation, but seems to be the exception.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    At one time the prohibition against "self-guiding" was clearly expressed - however, I was unable to find the reference in either the statutes or regulations. Do you know where it is currently referenced? (Some other ways to "get there" though).
    Thank you
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by hoose35 View Post
    I understand that, but other than financial reasons, and maybe that is the only reason, I just dont see the point in a non resident hunter hiring a non resident guide.
    Youre right it doesnt make any sense at all? but then again there are alot of alaskan laws that dont make any sense. I for one dont understand the requirement for some one needing to be guided for sheep or goat, and now black bear in se. im sure they could come up with tons of vaild reasons, that in their mind are good reasons, but all i see is the outragouse prices for non residents and think hmm GREED. brown bears are dangerous game, i can understand that, but there are tons of excperianced hunter that could handle that hunt without a guide. The requirements for guides was the only reason i moved to alsaka, now i can enjoy hunting without the high cost, and other resident privlages.

Without a guide on a goat or sheep hunt a inexperienced mountain hunter could get themselves into trouble pretty quickly. Also the guide requirement on a goat helps to greatly increase the likelihood that mature billy will be harvested instead of a nanny.

As far as not wanting a nonresident guide, you make sure you hire a resident guide but there is a reasonable chance you will end up actually being guided by a nonresident assistant. For instance a unit 9 bear hunt where the outfitter will have a lot of hunters going through camp for a relatively short season he will need to hire a lot of assistant guides. A fair number of them are likely to be nonresidents. This isn't to say they are not qualified, I have worked with a lot of very qualified nonresident guides.

Moving to Anchorage for a year doesn't make anyone mountain or grizzly savvy but they can now hunt without a guide.