Thread: Enjoyed some "old school" today.

Default Enjoyed some "old school" today.

I was faced with a "conundrum" of sorts today. I had a long week, so I wanted to spend some time with my wife and kids. I also wanted to replenish my stock of .45 ACP though, and my press is mounted to a table in my crawl-space.

So... I dragged out my 15-year-old Lee hand press, collected all the tools and components, climbed upstairs and went to work. The result is 100 new 230 gr. ball cartridges with various cases, and 5.7 grs. Universal. They should be excellent plinking fodder.

The most difficult choice now will be whether to run them through the Para 1911 or the Ruger Bisley Convertible.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Default Everyone should have a Lee Hand Press.

I hope you didn't hafta go back and forth several times to get something you forgot.

That's what happens to me. As soon as I get settled, in my chair, it's "OOPs I need to back to the garage and get something else, to make this work".

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Hah! You have me pegged, Smitty! I had to go back twice - once for the shell holder, and once for my dial caliper to check COAL. I guess I'm getting old, LOL!

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

That's a COOL idea - thanks for the reminder!
    I've got a lyman 310 that i originally bought for my .45-70's. Need to dig it out!
    Family time just seems to be in short supply anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by 1buba View Post
    That's a COOL idea - thanks for the reminder!
    I've got a lyman 310 that i originally bought for my .45-70's. Need to dig it out!
    Family time just seems to be in short supply anymore.
    I'm always happy to promote family time. With my deployments, I've come to value that time more than ever. I think the trusty old Lee hand press might get some .45 Colt business next. Or maybe some S&W 460....

The most difficult choice now will be whether to run them through the Para 1911 or the Ruger Bisley Convertible. [/QUOTE]

I've thought about a Bisley convertible and then think Hmmm I have no ther 45 autos would I just have either a wasted cylinder laying around or a bunch of 45 auto ammo drawing dust as I prefer the 45LC to shoot? Another delima...
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Yeah I setup my press yesterday and turned out 150 for my 44 mag, hopefully will be using them this coming weekend.

I am curious if any of you guys have factored in the cost/round. I keep looking at bulk ammo and thinking that I probably can't beat those prices, at least not by much. I have a 10mm that I could justify loading for but even that for a little more than $100 I could get a .40 cal barrel and be back in the cheap ammo. Is it actually cost effective to load for 45ACP, 9mm, or .40?

It likely depends on how much you shoot. And if you did shoot enough, you'd likely have a dillon that did 500-1000 rnds per hour....

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I am curious if any of you guys have factored in the cost/round. I keep looking at bulk ammo and thinking that I probably can't beat those prices, at least not by much. I have a 10mm that I could justify loading for but even that for a little more than $100 I could get a .40 cal barrel and be back in the cheap ammo. Is it actually cost effective to load for 45ACP, 9mm, or .40?
    One cost factor that gets overlooked is gas to go get stuff... I can, and usually have, enuff reloading supplies in any caliber to load 300-500 rounds - now in factory ammo I likely keep about 100 rounds per gun around, so if I were just buying factory stuff I would likely need to run to store more often as I don't usually have enuff dollars to buy 500 new rounds at a time very often.
    The 40 or 9mm are a good way to go if your just plinkin a lot....
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    If you cast your own (and don't factor in the value of your time or cost of equipment) then you can bang out plinker ammo pretty cheap. For 100 rds, $4 for primers, $1-2 for powder ($20/lb 3.5-7gr), $3 for 3 lbs of lead, so under $10/100. Where handloading bites you is you shoot way more than if you were buying commercial ammo, and you buy guns you never would have bought if you didn't handload.

Lee 6 cavity molds produce great accurate bullets at a moderate cost. I use a 105 swc for both 9mm and .357, and a 200 swc for the 45.

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    The most difficult choice now will be whether to run them through the Para 1911 or the Ruger Bisley Convertible.
    I've thought about a Bisley convertible and then think Hmmm I have no ther 45 autos would I just have either a wasted cylinder laying around or a bunch of 45 auto ammo drawing dust as I prefer the 45LC to shoot? Another delima...[/QUOTE]

If you don't have any .45 autos, I would say just get the .45 Colt. I prefer shooting Colt from my Bisley, but I play around a lot with different bullets in .45 ACP. Naturally not all of them feed satisfactorily in my 1911, so it's nice to have the ACP cylinder in the Ruger to burn through whatever doesn't work in the 1911.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H
    If you cast your own (and don't factor in the value of your time or cost of equipment) then you can bang out plinker ammo pretty cheap. For 100 rds, $4 for primers, $1-2 for powder ($20/lb 3.5-7gr), $3 for 3 lbs of lead, so under $10/100. Where handloading bites you is you shoot way more than if you were buying commercial ammo, and you buy guns you never would have bought if you didn't handload.

Lee 6 cavity molds produce great accurate bullets at a moderate cost. I use a 105 swc for both 9mm and .357, and a 200 swc for the 45.
    I just got into casting my own in the last year. It adds more enjoyment to the hobby and can be started for relatively little money. I talked to Sterling at Arctic Ammo, and he had a program which calculates cost per round based on component price. If you cast your own, it's actually possible to load .45 ACP for as little as $0.06 per round. That's .22 LR territory!now I need to find a mould with a bullet profile my 1911 likes...

Hey AK, I used to cast for 41 mag - got a mold I will likely not use anymore - if'n you or anyone else could use it its free for the asking!
    I think it is 185 gr but been a looong time since I played with it....

I have been reading that it is better to have a solid lead bullet for bear defense, so how many of you use the bullets that you cast for hunting as well as "plinking"?

Oh man, talk about taking me back! My first experiences with handloading was the Herters hand loader (virtually a mirror of the Lee) for 20 & 12 gauges when I was about 14 in the early 70's... I think they cost about $20.

Size by tapping the sizer over the shell with a rubber mallet, Priming, a dip of powder, tapping the wad down, a dip of shot, tapping down the crimp...

I don't know what you get charged for your ammo up there, but down here I can load most metallic stuff for considerably less than store bought. Can't beat steel waterfowl loads, so I usually buy a case or two when it goes on sale in the winter. I will also occasionally buy bulk for my 45ACP and wife's 9MM, if the price is right...

AKsoldier,

You're more then welcome to try some of these lee 200 gr swc's to see if they'll feed in your 45 They shoot pretty well out of my Ruger.

As to hunting with cast or bear defense, all the bullets I've shot out of my 480 I've cast myself. I've settled on a 275 gr swc for plinker loads, and a 400 gr xlfn for hunting loads.

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    Hey AK, I used to cast for 41 mag - got a mold I will likely not use anymore - if'n you or anyone else could use it its free for the asking!
    I think it is 185 gr but been a looong time since I played with it....
    Thanks Smokey! I don't have anything in .41, but I'm sure someone on here will be interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H
    AKsoldier, You're more then welcome to try some of these lee 200 gr swc's to see if they'll feed in your 45 They shoot pretty well out of my Ruger.
    Thanks! I may take you up on that. I'll trade you for some lead if you want.

Quote Originally Posted by kantill
    I have been reading that it is better to have a solid lead bullet for bear defense, so how many of you use the bullets that you cast for hunting as well as "plinking"?
    I have a 300 gr. WFNGC that shoots very well out of my S&W 460. I haven't killed anything with it yet, but I hope to eventually. I'm pretty new at casting, so I want to do some more experimenting with alloy first to make sure I have a bullet that will perform.