Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What wool pants

Default What wool pants

Hello All,

I have recently had a great experience with wool gloves, and am now sold on them (the tips were so wet the were frozen together and my hands were still warm.

I now want to move on and buy a set of wool pants. I want a pair that are a cargo style, but the only ones that I have found are from Johnson woolen and sell for 200 a piece. Is that the going rate or can I get them cheaper somewhere else?

Thanks all,
    Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by KRG View Post
    Hello All,

I have recently had a great experience with wool gloves, and am now sold on them (the tips were so wet the were frozen together and my hands were still warm.

I now want to move on and buy a set of wool pants. I want a pair that are a cargo style, but the only ones that I have found are from Johnson woolen and sell for 200 a piece. Is that the going rate or can I get them cheaper somewhere else?

Thanks all,
    Kevin
    Over the years, I've had several pairs of military surplus wool pants from the 40's and 50's and some of those were VERY high quality, especially some of the garments out of the Scandinavian countries. I haven't looked for a long time and imagine they're pretty scarce now, but those pants provided major bang for the buck. Otherwise, unfortunately, I think at least $200 is the going range for a quality wool garment these days. I'm going to be interested to see if anyone has any good suggestions myself.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

You might give these a try. Good quality wool surplus is getting harder to find.

http://www.stormykromer.com/mens/out...khouse-trouser

I prefer Filson Mackinaw wool pants...spendy and worth every dime. I had some Woolrich pants that the weave was pretty loose and let the wind blow through.

I own two sets of Columbia wool, and it's a pretty good deal....but on a snow machine you def. need a wind barrier underneath.

I have always had good luck with Filson. Several places do put it on sale.

Ron

I was outside about a month ago and was at Cabela's in Billings Mt. I found a pair of Cabela's Dry-Plus 100% wool bib pants. They are lined with cotton/nylon, zippered legs, chest down front zipper, 4 large pockets and the legs have snaps to tighten up the legs around your boot. I have used them (with a very light pair of long under wear only) around here while blowing snow and such and love them, no wind through them. Yesterday I went out on the snowmachine for about 45 miles and tried the pants (with the same light long under wear) and when I left it was zero. Average 30 to 50 mph most of the time. Wind did not go through the pants and was very comfortably warm. I paid around $170. I love the bibs as you are not always having to pull them up when out walking or working. I tried to find a Cabela's number for them and not on the pants and I do not have a catalog. I would highly recommend this pant/bib.
    Retirement Plan - Having Fun and Still Learning

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
    I was outside about a month ago and was at Cabela's in Billings Mt. I found a pair of Cabela's Dry-Plus 100% wool bib pants. They are lined with cotton/nylon, zippered legs, chest down front zipper, 4 large pockets and the legs have snaps to tighten up the legs around your boot. I have used them (with a very light pair of long under wear only) around here while blowing snow and such and love them, no wind through them. Yesterday I went out on the snowmachine for about 45 miles and tried the pants (with the same light long under wear) and when I left it was zero. Average 30 to 50 mph most of the time. Wind did not go through the pants and was very comfortably warm. I paid around $170. I love the bibs as you are not always having to pull them up when out walking or working. I tried to find a Cabela's number for them and not on the pants and I do not have a catalog. I would highly recommend this pant/bib.
    Good on yah for wearing wool in such cold conditions. You will never beat wool for anything in this state, I don't care what you put on the table. I will never wear anything but wool, and LL Bean seems to have a good selection, as well as Cabelas. The only problem with wool.......it's last's for two lifetimes or more, so yah just look old school for a very long time.

What is the difference between high quality and... other?

Quote Originally Posted by Stihl_header View Post
    What is the difference between high quality and... other?
    Stihl,

Wool is a tradition back home, and I'm certain it is in many other places too. For winter weathah........what makes a good wool coat is a thick layer of wool with a tight weave. The best ones usually have a good layer of insulation like thinsulate or thinsulate ultra and a wind barrier.

Quote Originally Posted by 6XLeech View Post
    I have a pair of the Bean six-pocket guide pants with the Gore Windstopper. I highly recommend them.
    Now what ?

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    You might give these a try. Good quality wool surplus is getting harder to find.

http://www.stormykromer.com/mens/out...khouse-trouser

I prefer Filson Mackinaw wool pants...spendy and worth every dime. I had some Woolrich pants that the weave was pretty loose and let the wind blow through.
    You must be proud of those wool pants as they are the best, and consequently.......the most expensive.

a friend of mine says 'the best thing about wool is that no matter how cols and wet you get you will always be warm and dry.'

COLD and wet

I felt I didn't provide enough advice regarding wool clothing so here goes:

When I stepped up from old surplus wool I wanted the best possible insulation, and furthermore, I wanted a woodland camo and a winter camo set. I skimped out on the "pedigree" wool so that I could afford both camo patterns. I ended up settling on Columbia wool because they have such a good rating, and anything made of wool is going to be tough as nails anyways. This wool clothing has been very warm by itself but needed help for snowmachining. I notice that when snowmaching in below zero temps, the wind was chilling me terribly on remote ice fishing trips in the interior.
    I then purchased the best possible insulation that I could afford. Patagonia makes the R4 jacket that is made of of Polartec's latest and warmest insulation with a wind barrier built in. My legs didn't get as cold so I went with basic polartec heavy fleece bibs that are sufficient and cheaper. I chose this route because I can't afford a good snowmachining suit, woodland wool, and winter camo. Heavy nylon snowmachining gear (like Alaskan Outfitters) is the noisiest stuff, and gets noisier the colder it gets. So going with the cheaper wool allowed me to get the best possible insulation I could afford, and is much better because I can remove the insulating layer and snowshoe in warm spring weather if I need to. The R4 jacket was the most expensive piece, but very compressible and allows for maximum dexterity. I can also use this R4 jacket for many other things too.
    Fleece made of the latest "Polartec Thermal Pro" makes for the highest performance and insulation possible. The versatility and dexterity exceeds goose and duck fill, and far exceeds the out-dated Thinsulate that is built into most wool pants and coats offered today. With my set-up, I've built a layering system that will perform the duty of every winter activity and at a wider temperature range. I hope my trial and error helps save some folks money and effort, making the dollar go as far as possible.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Around hunting season they usually have some at Army/Navy surplus. I bought a few Swedish military cargo pocket wool pants a while back and loved them. They were a little on the heavy side so I had a pair of lighter/thinner wool pants too, also from Army/Navy. They haven't had any wool pants that fit me there for awhile. I'm too cheap to look at Filson or any other brand.

Tim

I've had a few pairs of military surplus wool pants, they never held up for me,i think due to being so old, they ripped very easy and the stitching would fail.

The Coulmbia pants are awesome they hold up great and love the double seat and knees and the big pockets, and the price is right,highly recomended.

But i think the ultimate in wool clothing is the Cabelas wooltimate windshear type,, wind just can not penetrate this stuff and it breathes very well, and they hold up better than anything i have tried, very tuff stuff..

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cloth...915%26rid%3D20

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/brows...0296915&rid=20

Take a look at. Beagle wear. Made with teflon.

First Lite and Day One Camo are worth a look too. Both great pants if you want lightweight wool.
    "The days a man spends fishing or spends hunting should not be deducted from the time he's on earth. " Theodore Roosevelt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast