Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Couple Of Homer Questions

Default Couple Of Homer Questions

In preps for a trip in May -

1. When someone says they are fishing out of Homer "near the compass rose", which chart would they be speaking of?
    2. Looking at the Homer Tide Charts for May 2011, what three days would you Halibut fish for the week of 20th - 28th?
    3. Remembering the answer to the 2nd question which of those three days would you do "girly" things with the wife like visit Seldovia, Halibut Cove and ride around sight seeing................and fish either before we get across the Bay or before getting back to Homer.....

Thanks Again, P-geek

Hi, haven't picked up a new TIDE book yet. Wonder if you can GOOGLE Cook Inlet tides? You want the smallest variation between low and high for that day. The reason, you will be able to stay on bottom using less weight.

The compass rose is in Kbay. Can't miss it on the chart.

Haven't looked at the tide book either, but try and find 3 days without a minus tide. Big minus tide means huge tidal swings and less time to stay on bottom with lighter weights.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Roland - thanks.....I think?...lol....I asked the question that way because I wanted to followup with some solar/lunar table questions in conjunction with the three days chosen. It looks like the only thing going on is a Last Quarter moon on the 24th......any thoughts on that?

I have the tides for May and in my opinion the 25th, 26th, 27th look the best......did not know if that was correct or if any one had a thought on question #3 especially. Maybe some thoughts like "hit this on the way over" or "make sure you see this before the tide does this" or "there are no fish or anything to do out of Homer, stay home"?.....lol

I do not know if.......
    1. I can wait that long after arriving to go fishing.....but I can make other plans of course.
    2. I can wait that long after arriving to go fishing

Hey, I am just trying to meet people and generate conversation........Apologies in advance for the "stupid questions".

Thanks, P-geek

Default Chart?

Pike - I am using Chart 16640 right now as a "general" map because it gives me the "big picture". The "rose" is SouthEast of Augustine Island on that one....but if I look at Chart 16645 it is almost due North of Pt. Pogibishi. I am thinking Chart 16645 is probably the one I need to be using for no farther than I plan on going out.

It does beg the question though.....what is the "go to" chart for Homer/Cook Inlet/K-Bay?

Thanks for the input, P-geek

http://gofishingforum.net/tide.pl?mo...=Update+Charts

There's a link to the tides....I'd fish the days you picked as they have the least tidal movement....that's the primary concern as noted by others. I'd probably pick the last day to entertain the women as there is a slack tide in the middle of the day - you do want some water movement.
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

Quote Originally Posted by Physiksgeek View Post
    Pike - I am using Chart 16640 right now as a "general" map because it gives me the "big picture". The "rose" is SouthEast of Augustine Island on that one....but if I look at Chart 16645 it is almost due North of Pt. Pogibishi. I am thinking Chart 16645 is probably the one I need to be using for no farther than I plan on going out.

It does beg the question though.....what is the "go to" chart for Homer/Cook Inlet/K-Bay?

Thanks for the input, P-geek
    Chart 16645 is the best chart to use, but even it is totally open to a lot of interpretation as to where the fish are. It is really difficult to utilize the fathom markings they have on it. If you can afford to do it you are much better off with a fish finder that actually shows bottom contours. I use a Humminbird 787 with a Navionics "Fish 'n Chip" card in it and it shows bottom contours in fathom increments for all of K-Bay and Cook Inlet so I can see what's going on precisely at any given point. And especially in very limited spaces. Notice how on the NOAA chart the numbers are spaced apart? That doesn't tell you much about the structure that exists in between those numbers. A lot can go on down there over a quarter of a mile or so and if the numbers are a quarter of a mile apart you won't have the slightest clue what's going on there. If you ever get to Homer I'd be happy to let you take a look at my fishfinder to see how superior it is to having to extrapolate from the chart. Get yourself a GOOD fish/depth finder. It will be an indispensable tool.

But if the chart if the only thing you have available to you just study it very carefully. Look for areas where there are dropoffs, structure, and pinnacles. I've even gone so far as to try and draw contoure lines wherever things look interesting to me. I actually found one of my favorite halibut holes that way. That will get you a long way toward getting into some fish. And don't be afraid to ask questions here.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Muttley - You won't hear me argue against a good sounder. I have a good GPS plotter and sounder....I am just studying the maps to help focus my efforts.......Both for the fishing and the sight seeing.

nickster - I like the website.....I was using two for the tides and the lunar tables. Looks like that one has it all!

Thanks, P-geek

Muttley
    I will give you this any day of the week. You will do what you can to help out a new guy! I tip my hat to you!

I usually sit in the boat at home to study the sounder vs. the charts...I too find alot more detail and am able to mark spots in advance and concentrate on those first when i go out...kinda figure I should be fishing not reading when I get out there. Did well with this method last time I was in Homer...fast halibut limit and picked up some small lings trolling kings (can`t win `em all).

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    Muttley
    I will give you this any day of the week. You will do what you can to help out a new guy! I tip my hat to you!
    I'd rep him if I could....

There are some good fishing spots around Seldovia, and there isn't alot to see in Seldovia, so your girly day in Seldovia could include some fishing.

Honestly I'd say wait until you get hear and see what the forecast holds, as you'll be more dependent on weather than tides. I've fished K-bay on some very high tide swing days, and the fishing can be excellent on those days. Not a huge window to fish, but can still get into the fish. Conversely, when the wind and swells pick up, doesn't matter how big the fish is on the tide charts, you're not going to be fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    There are some good fishing spots around Seldovia, and there isn't alot to see in Seldovia, so your girly day in Seldovia could include some fishing.

Honestly I'd say wait until you get hear and see what the forecast holds, as you'll be more dependent on weather than tides. I've fished K-bay on some very high tide swing days, and the fishing can be excellent on those days. Not a huge window to fish, but can still get into the fish. Conversely, when the wind and swells pick up, doesn't matter how big the fish is on the tide charts, you're not going to be fishing.
    Of course undoubtedly someone is going to jump in here and say I'm being contentious. I'm not. I'm just pointing out what I have learned in a LOT of time fishing every tide in the book. When you are a charter operator you take people out when THEY dictate, so you have to learn certain tricks to make things work.

I have caught nice halibut in very high tide swing days throughout the the day and have never seen any sort of "window" of opportunity. I will agree it is a lot easier during that "window", but don't stop fishing just because the tide is moving. In fact I've found times when the halibut seem to be more aggressive because they're having to chase the bait instead of just picking it up.

There are places halibut like to hide out when the tide is ripping and if you get bait in front of them and they're hungry they will take your bait. The trick is to find those hideouts. I have some favorite dropoffs and mounds they like to hide in or behind and there are methods you can utilize to keep from just ripping past them. I like to "backtroll" against the current and just use a slightly heavier weight than I'd normally use and just bounce a big ol' piece of bait, or a jig, right by them.

And there are places the tide rips harder when it's really moving than other places out in the bay. If you stop your boat about 100 yards off of Pogi on a 28 ft. tide swing day about half way between low and high you'll find yourself moving about 6 or 7 mph one way or the other in no time. If you park yourself out in the area to the northeast of the compass rose you'll find yourself doing something completely different. Go out there on those days and pay close attention to what your boat is doing. It can be a very valuable lesson in how to keep fishing when a lot of people say it's unfishable because the tide is just "too fast".

Sorry not trying to highjack, but is the current as strong out by Elizabeth Island as it is in the bay? I've gone from Seward out toward Gore Point and the current can rip really hard, but not like I've seen it in Homer.

Thanks
    Boatless

Quote Originally Posted by FISHFACE View Post
    Sorry not trying to highjack, but is the current as strong out by Elizabeth Island as it is in the bay? I've gone from Seward out toward Gore Point and the current can rip really hard, but not like I've seen it in Homer.

Thanks
    That would be a RESOUNDING yes!!! Look at the chart. There are places that are actually marked "Heavy Tide Rips" and I would believe what they say. I've been there on big tide days and you move right along!

And of course that can work to your advantage, too. I shouldn't be giving away my secrets, but there are obviously going to be places in front of and behind an island where when the tide is just blowing by the perimeter it might be swirling or just barely moving. Uhhhh. Where do you think fish are going to want to hang out at a time like this?

thanks for the info
    Boatless

As "Muttley" said, it rips hard out there, even on a "good" day. We caught a real nice "butt" fishing for lings on the north side of East Chugach Island last summer, right where the chart says "heavy tidal current" or something like that. I learned a couple things that day. One was find another spot.

Personally, I don't like dead slack unless I am on fish. Current gets them up and moving usually, and a little bit is nice to have.

Don't be afraid of those heavy current areas. There are some GREAT spots to fish if you can find when the tide is slow.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Talking How is Cell Phone Coverage Around The Bay??

Paul - That is what I am talking about.........confirmation! Seriously, I have been thinking about starting at Halibut Cove and working our way down towards Seldovia. By the time we get to Seldovia I am almost 100% sure that the boys will be tired and in need of "rest"...... Because of that I am thinking of dropping the girls off in Seldovia and then "parking" out by Yukon Island and maybe catching some Black Rockfish.....err.....I mean some "rest" or something. Just wait on the cell phone call to come back in and pick'em up. As we are probably aware that can be expensive....leaving the girls with all the money...but I need my beauty rest!

Your point is well taken. I think if we can get an idea of what it is we want to do (fish, clam, sight see, etc.) we can make a tentative plan and then move it up or back and try to fit as much in as possible......around the weather. The girls will be less receptive to a "bad weather" day but as long as the wind lays down, the boys would be willing to get a little wet.

Thanks, P-geek

Quote Originally Posted by Homertime View Post
    As "Muttley" said, it rips hard out there, even on a "good" day. We caught a real nice "butt" fishing for lings on the north side of East Chugach Island last summer, right where the chart says "heavy tidal current" or something like that. I learned a couple things that day. One was find another spot.
    There are some spots over by Johnstone Bay about 20 miles East of Seward say that too. And they suck when the wrong tidal conditions, wind, and swell all seemingly converge. The same is true in many parts of Cook Inlet and certainly other places, but I'd say it is far worse in Cook Inlet by Point Pogibshi and Dangerous Cape based upon my personal experiences than it is anywhere I have been. The Compass Rose area though is far more placid in general as the underwater topography is very different. And it too is good fishing. In fact, it is one of my favorite areas to fish, although one thing for sure, you won't be alone.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast