Thread: Black Lab needs a new home

Default Black Lab needs a new home

I have a beautiful full bred black lab, that I just don't have the time to give him the attention he needs. I work 12 hrs a day and he's couped up all that time. He's a great companion, but I haven't trained him to do much. He can sit, laydown, give a paw, and fetch. He'll be 2 years old in march and is still very hyper but friendly to everybody. He's been fenced in a yard most of his life, so he will run if he gets out, but always comes back if I can't catch him. If left alone in the house, he'll get into anything he can, but if not alone, he's fricken awesome. I love this dog, it's just not fair to him being alone all the time. I won't ever take him to the pound, but I will give him to a good home!!! He loves the water, so I'm sure he'll love duck hunting!!! If interested call me @ 687-6990 or PM me.
    Attached Images Attached Images

It is so tempting. My black lab passed away last night after a 14 year run. I'm thinking maybe I need a break to grieve before I take on another one. If worst comes to worst, I could help babysit him till an owner is found. I have a two year old Shepard/husky mix and a yorkshire/Maltese mix( daughters). I have a fenced yard, about a 1/2 acre and the dogs just love it. I'm on workmen's comp so I am around most of the day and if I leave, the dogs come with. Let me know where you are located and if you need help. I'm in the Wasilla area. Let me know. Thewhop
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

im located in fairbanks, thanks for the offer though

He is beautiful, if I had any room I'd love to have him. With that being said please do a little check up on any prospective new parents for him, he is better off alone when your gone than with some jackass. Hope he finds a nice welcoming home!

Weisel, its time to man up to the commitment you made when you bought or were given your pup. You know that a puppy is a commitment and responsibility for 10-15 years, and that if you get tired of him after 2, he is still your responsibity. Now your are tired of him, don't have the time. I wonder if you have the same attitude if you have children. Bud

Quote Originally Posted by akblackdawg View Post
    Weisel, its time to man up to the commitment you made when you bought or were given your pup. You know that a puppy is a commitment and responsibility for 10-15 years, and that if you get tired of him after 2, he is still your responsibity. Now your are tired of him, don't have the time. I wonder if you have the same attitude if you have children. Bud
    akblackdawg: that's a little uncalled for.
    Weasel admits upfront he just doesn't have the ability to make that commitment so he's trying to find someone who can. There is no annoyance in his post over his dog's misbehavior, in fact he takes responsibility for it. Now he wants the dog to go to someone who can give him what he needs in terms of work and training.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Erick, sure I was pretty harsh. I kinda think he should have planned this out 2 yrs ago when he got the pup. The pup was obviously given to him or was sold to him pretty cheap. If there was a commitment, the dog would have more training now, and he would have found a place to live where the dog would fit in better then where he is now. I really don't see weisel as any different then a teenager who wanted a pup only to find out it is more work then they thought, or a adult getting rid of a dog because they havn't looked hard enough to find a landlord who will accept pets. The pound is full of dogs that ended up in homes because "it would be fun to have a puppy". Owners need to take more responsibility when they make a decision to get a puppy.

A friend of ours is a very good breeders of retrievers. She interviews her buyers and is very selective about where the pups go. We had dinner with her a while back and a puppy buyer was at the dinner also, very excited guy, loved the puppy she was holding for him, etc. Three weeks after he got his pup, he gave it back to the seller. He objected to the pup peeing in the house and waking him up at 4 am in the morning. I think he thought expensive well bred pups came pretrained at 8 wks old. Any how, he lost his depost, she took the pup back, and the pup is fine and on the right food now and doing well. This guy had no idea of what he was getting himself into, inspite being told of all this prior to buying. Bud

Holy S!!T, are you fricken serious dude!!!!! I bought this dog for $500 from a breeder and i'm not giving up on him!!! If i was , I'd take him to the pound and chain him to the fence! It's not fair to him being couped up, so I'm trying to make life better for him!! I dont even know why i'm explaining this to you. This post is for someone who wants an awesome dog, not some computer tough guy, trying to heckle me. Mention my kids again and i will find out who you are!!!!

Weasel, maybe I was being a bit harsh, and if I misread something I do apologize. My reference towards your attitude was meant to be towards you, I have no idea here if you have children, just what i'v read in your post. To me this is a sensitive subject, I don't like the practice of some people passing dogs around to a new home every couple years. Again, the pound is full of dogs that people got tired of, and when you give him to a stranger, who knows how long the stranger will keep him. I'm hoping some people will read this and have 2nd thoughts before buying a puppy for themselves or their kids. You might consider talking with Baron on this forum about getting into the weekend training class. It really isn't that difficult to get a dog under control using the proper tools and methods, and he might get along with you and your family better then. I don't think I indicated that he wasn't a good dog, how would I know, just that you had or should have made a commitment for 10-15 years when you got him. Good luck with him. Bud

Ever side has two stories, link below is a great read, completely off topic to this thread but worth reading if you sometimes jump to conclusions.

http://www.theamericanscholar.org/so...nd-leadership/

Weasel, maybe I was being a bit harsh, and if I misread something I do apologize. My reference towards your attitude was meant to be towards you, I have no idea here if you have children, just what i'v read in your post. To me this is a sensitive subject, I don't like the practice of some people passing dogs around to a new home every couple years. Again, the pound is full of dogs that people got tired of, and when you give him to a stranger, who knows how long the stranger will keep him. I'm hoping some people will read this and have 2nd thoughts before buying a puppy for themselves or their kids. You might consider talking with Baron on this forum about getting into the weekend training class. It really isn't that difficult to get a dog under control using the proper tools and methods, and he might get along with you and your family better then. I don't think I indicated that he wasn't a good dog, how would I know, just that you had or should have made a commitment for 10-15 years when you got him. Good luck with him. Bud
    Lighten Up BUD!! Its called life and it happens. Relax
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

I'm a little surprised that this is the first time I have read about this particular debate on here. I don't have any strong feelings one way or the other, but I tend to caution against running this fellow down too badly. I got a couple of mean PMs when I asked around for a dog sitter recently ("How could you leave a member of your family with a stranger?" sort of thing), so it comes as no surprise that there might be some anger out there about someone looking for a new home for a dog. I hope someone will give the dog a home though. I adopted my terrier from a similar situation and he has turned out to be an extremely loyal pet and hunting dog.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Just out of curiosity, what do you hunt with the terrier? Rabbits?
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

I have a 13 year old lab and would like to get another one. My old buddy can't hunt anymore But when he's gone it might be kinda nice to not have to worry about him. On the other hand he's nice to have around when your alone..... I just can't make up my mind if I should get another one
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    Just out of curiosity, what do you hunt with the terrier? Rabbits?
    Yeah mostly hares and spruce grouse, but he goes along on duck hunts too. He runs around and crawls under logs and brush piles and chases them out. I have to get on a hare pretty quick after shooting it or the terrier will tear into it like a predator on the Discovery Channel. He's no good at retrieving, but he sits in the duck blind and does everything else a duck dog would do... perks up his ears when he hears wings, eats donuts, takes naps on my life jacket, etc. Back home a friend and I used Jack Russells to follow blood trails during bow season. I won't take him out when it gets below 10 degrees or so, but other than that, he is a total trooper.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Hey weasel if you still have the dog Ill take him and if on down the line your situation changes Ill give him back to you.

I cant believe you let yourself get punked by a computer tough guy..................

Wow, that terrier sounds pretty cool. All you need to do is teach him how to retrieve and you will have the perfect hunting dog. I had heard of Phil Robertson using them to clear out the snakes from his blind in Louisianna. I guess after they get bitten enough they become immune. My dad uses my little sisters lasa opso for rabbit hunting in oregon. He says she does better than any beagle he has hunted over.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!