Thread: boat building

Default boat building

Anyone know a boat building facility that could be hiring. I live in WA now and want to move. I build aluminum boats, welding/fabricating

How long have you been building boats? Do you take the aluminum fabrication from start to finish?

If your honest, sober, willing to work hard & deliver projects on time you don't need to work for anybody, just get your butt up here and set up a small mobile shop, you'll have more work than you can handle.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Potbuilders advice holds for most professions in Alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    Potbuilders advice holds for most professions in Alaska.
    Your kidding right, mobile shop?

Quote Originally Posted by pjb3 View Post
    Anyone know a boat building facility that could be hiring. I live in WA now and want to move. I build aluminum boats, welding/fabricating
    pjb3,

Contact Bay Welding in Homer. Last time I talked to Eric Engebretsen, he said they were very busy with custom boat orders.

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Rutting Moose View Post
    If i was a younger guy thats what i'd have, bring the shop right to the boat and go to work. Oh yeah i'd have a shop for jobs that couldn't be done on the spot. When i fished Bristol Bay back in the 80's a guy showed up in Dillingham with 2 40' containers, one was set up as a machine/welding shop second was 1/2 living quarters and 1/2 storage, that guy worked 27 hours a day, if he told you he'd be there at 3am to do your welding he was there at 2:55 and ready to go.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

He's Definitely Right On, with that advice, in Kodiak there are several guys, used to work for the bigger Welding Fab shops, then branched out to their own Mobile shop, either a big Van, or Flatbed Truck, all their gear onsite,

Those guys are in high demand, keeping as busy as they want, really nice to access the Fish Fleet by pulling your rig up to the dock, stretching your cables down and start working, vs. the guys having to bring their stuff up to the shop.
    In a Fishing town, Mobile is the only way to go. I imagine there is plenty of work to go around, and if not,
    you can jump the Ferry, try another town.

Your reputation will build quickly anywhere, providing you are Good, and Fast

In Ak, you're gonna find, it's not nearly the "institutionally connected" by family history stuff, as may be down south.
    The work goes to the hardest worker.

Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Nothing wrong with a mobile shop, but the primary advice I was mentioning was this:

If your honest, sober, willing to work hard & deliver projects on time

If one has those qualities, they can and will prosper in Alaska. But a mobile shop has a huge advantage repairing boats. You don't have the overhead of a brick and morter shop, and most people will be more than happy to save their time and hassle hauling their boat to a shop to have somebody show up and do the repair on sight. There's also the advantage of getting the work done quickly, no incentive for the mobile guy to dally around, as opposed to the shop that can let your boat sit in the yard vs. getting the work done.

Funny the guy who asked the question has disappeared?? Guess he ain't too dependable or interested?? Maybe the words hard work scared him off??

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    Funny the guy who asked the question has disappeared?? Guess he ain't too dependable or interested?? Maybe the words hard work scared him off??
    Well, if he wasn't "Sober" those words will sober him up quick, eh?
    Probably best for him and us, wouldn't last long otherwise,
    and none of us need any more of the "looking for an easy $" types coming up right?
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

It was Steves beard scared him off
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Well, I am not the guy who started the thread, but.... I have been struggling on bringing my rig welder up here from down south for the portable thing. I live in Seward and was thinking it is bound to work.. I have a flat bed dually with vantage 300 and a dynasty 200dx in the garage.. Give me a little more mitivation for flying down picking it up and getting it up here.

Currently I have a fishing/B&B operation in the charter season and go down south and rig weld for 3 months of the winter.

Thanks,