91. You may not vote on this poll
  • Boar

11 12.09%
  • Sow

80 87.91%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boar or Sow?

Default Boar or Sow?

Found this on the internet - interesting example of some of the "challenges" of differentiating between boars and sows.
    Maybe someone could start a poll as to whether it is a boar or sow. With comments as to "why".
    Joe
    Attached Images Attached Images

I went w/ a fat sow. It is hard to get a good representation of size in the pic. But the muzzle doesn't have that box car look to me and the head looks round w/ less prominent features.

Looks like very old sow

I agree with the others, I say a adult sow. Round face short nose, front legs are not very big like you expect in a boar.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I'd say young boar or sow because of the small front shoulders, small looking head and thin looking legs. Those legs look way too skinny to be on a shooter. They look like chicken legs. Big mature bears legs look like over stuffed pillow cases. IMHO.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Chuncky well fed sow.
    ...rounded facial features...
    ...large hips/butt, smaller shoulders...
    dennis

Looks like an old lab that lives down the street that has had too much food and too many puppies!! I named her "la fem de manatee"- Would go with old sow.

She's got a J.Low Booty

The ears are quite pronounced relative to the diameter of the head.

Older sow that's been eating good. However, this one was hard (if I'm right).

She does appear to have a big rear end, but the angle of the photo doesn't help...when looking directly from behind males have noticably narrower hips. She is somewhat dark, which usually means a male, so that was interesting. My final decision was based upon her head and face. She just doesn't have the blocky head of a male, and her nose is long in proportion to her face which says...female.

Do you know the answer Joe?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

well i may be wrong ... but i dont see any danty ankles... has a long neck, does not have the round fluffy ness of the head.. and since every one else called it a sow... and knowing joe.. i picked BOAR!
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Sow.....small shoulders and a pointy face.

Hmmm, if sow I would think you maybe would see some hair missing from this angle where the nipples are???
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    Hmmm, if sow I would think you maybe would see some hair missing from this angle where the nipples are???
    Could be a dry sow, or she just couldn't afford the augmentation surgery. Still wouldn't try to peak under her shirt to check, Sow or not!!!

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Could be a dry sow, or she just couldn't afford the augmentation surgery. Still wouldn't try to peak under her shirt to check, Sow or not!!!

Steve
    LOL very good! I just figured if it was an old sow there would be some visible bare spots perhaps? If ya held up a credit card and it was a chick would it make her smile, thus giving away the ID???
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Assuming "adoption" was not an issue, there was only one wrong answer! At least for me the head is the "key" - hips not so much as they tend to more of an indicator of maturity rather than sex.
    Would be less than candid if I didn't admit that the track would have been checked, after the fact, just to be certain.
    Joe

She looks knocked up to me. She's glowing!
    Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Chinese proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JC in AK View Post
    She looks knocked up to me. She's glowing!
    Was gonna say, "Pregnant?", really having no idea, on that girth back there, but

Feminine Face, Cute Ankles, voted Sow
    (but maybe there's a little boar in there ?) to cover my bases
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

A big saggy belly, but without the powerful muscular shoulders of a big saggy belly boar. I would also agree the head isn't blocky enough. Certainly not the most clear cut sow I've seen a picture of though. I'd have to agree it's an old sow.

Brett

I voted Sow like everyone else , then read responses and have to agree with Vince... Joe has some tricks up the sleeve on this one...

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast